RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo questions

XDRoX
10-14-2010, 07:56
First, I can't figure out where I need to put the rod that goes down the middle. I just put it where I thought it should go.

We spent an hour trying to adjust it.

We were able to get it to barely swage a case. Enough to where it was now possible to prime it, but the primer was very difficult to seat.

We were able to adjust it so that it swaged the pocket enough to comfortably seat a primer.

So we believe we understand how it works and how to adjust it.

Here was our concern. No matter how we adjusted the swager, the primer was seating slightly deeper than normal. Maybe 1/64" lower than level with the case, sometimes a little more.

Is this something we were causing with the swager or does 5.56 military brass just have a deeper pocket than 223?

We didn't do all our brass yet because we wanted to make sure that we weren't causing these deeper than normal seatings.

Thanks

XDRoX
10-14-2010, 09:12
Justin just figured it out. He backed the rod almost all the way out and was able to control the depth of the swage.
Thanks anyway.

BTW, the instructions suck.

And I'd like to thank the 20 cases whose lives we took in trying to figure the damn thing out:crying:

GioaJack
10-14-2010, 09:33
Normally I'd blame your problem on simply being a Californian but I think in this case the deep seated reason is that not only are you a product of public schools but you were unable to break the apron strings and chose to remain in that domain of manufactured self-esteem and mediocrity. Mores the pity... a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Take your seat, pull out a number 2 pencil with a sheet of paper and we'll go over this before recess. AND SPIT OUT THAT PIECE OF GUM!

First, size and de-cap a case. Place your sizing die in the press and screw it down about half way or so. Put the small swaging punch in your shell holder with the stripper cup over it. Place the sized case on top of the swager, hold it straight then run it up to the top of the stroke. Screw the swager die into the press until it's about a quarter inch or so above the shell holder then screw to center back-up rod down until you feel it touch the web inside the case. Lower the case, turn the back-up rod down another eighth to quarter of a turn then tighten it with the small lock nut.

Run the case all the way up, you'll feel resistance as the pocket is swaged. Drop the case down, it will pop off the swager button with the stripper cup. check the swaged pocket visually... it should have a uniform rolled appearance. Adjust the back-up rod either up or down until to achieve the swage you want then lock the nut tightly in place.

As you're adjusting it prime the case to check for correct fit.

Okay, you're done. You can go to recess now but quit smoking that funny stuff under the bleachers.

Jack

XDRoX
10-14-2010, 09:43
I'm going to email these instructions to RCBS.
Thanks Jack.

P+P
10-14-2010, 15:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdkA7vDeaes
Try this if it don't work search RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo on youtube