Preferred Method of Game Removal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Method of Game Removal

Beware Owner
10-14-2010, 10:09
Which is yours? Game includes white tail and hogs.

357glocker
10-14-2010, 12:32
shoot them?

noway
10-14-2010, 17:57
define removal?

if your talking about carrying them out, it depends on areas,laws and access. I've removed deer/hogs using slings, drag slid, game carts, bikes, quad runner and 2 person with a pole stick on a few ocassions.

Most prefered way is in a PU bed or a front loader of a John deer ;)

Beware Owner
10-15-2010, 12:15
By removal I mean to transport the carcass to camp for quartering.

357glocker
10-15-2010, 21:37
In that case I would have to say drag it to a place where you can get a vehicle to. I've found that deer carts are great if the terrain allows, but most of the time I end up fighting with the cart so much it's easier to just tie a drag rope to both legs and pull it to where you can pick it up. Never shot anything bigger than a whitetail deer so an elk or moose would be a new experience that I'm sure I'd learn quick from!

CC Glock
10-15-2010, 22:14
a good horse can pack out alot of meat. If i dont have access to my horse i use a drag vest and drag it till i can get a truck in.

K.Kiser
10-17-2010, 16:24
First I utilize ye' ol rifle, and if my aim was solid then I put a 10' rope around their necks and try my best to imitate a plow mule until I can put em' in the truck...

vafish
10-17-2010, 20:48
This year is my 34th season of deer hunting.

Up until last year I have always dragged them out to the closest place we could get a truck to.

Last year late in the season I went hunting with a buddy of mine. He's got a couple hundred acres on the side of one of our little mountains. (you guys out west would call it a foothill.) The cabin is at the base of the hill and the standard hunting method is to ride a quad up the hill in the morning and hunt from your stand. They had an extra quad that Saturday so I rode it up the hill, shot a nice size doe, gutted her out, backed the quad up to the carcass, threw her on the back and rode down the hill to the cabin.

That's a lot easier then dragging them.

Big Bird
10-18-2010, 06:41
Depends,

I have one of those two wheeled carts and it works great in terrain that is too rough or tight for my ATV. I'll drag the animal if I have to. My Honda Foreman can winch things up to 150 feet away and maybe a little farther if I tie in some rope. Then I can carry it. But on level terrain using a winch is a waste of time and I'll just drag it.

Last two deer I shot went 235 and 250 lbs...

I like shooting them in an open field and driving the p/u out to get it ;)

Beware Owner
10-18-2010, 14:17
Unfortunately, atv's are not allowed where I'm hunting, and I don't have one, either.

CC Glock
10-18-2010, 15:28
Big bird thats some big freakin deer. My biggest weighted about 225. You must be huntin some PIGS.

trailgator
10-19-2010, 11:05
John Deere gator. In the terrain around my neck of the woods, it'll go anywhere I need to go. And some places I probably shouldn't.

vafish
10-19-2010, 20:29

Last two deer I shot went 235 and 250 lbs...

Dang,

I shot 5 deer last year and combined I don't think they weighed as much as your last 2 deer.

noway
10-20-2010, 06:30
Lats deer I shot was 135lb dressed. But after pushing his ass out over 2miles of terrain, it felt like 500lbs

Game carts do save a lot of wear and tear on the human body.

alwaysshootin
10-20-2010, 06:59
Atv, used for getting the deer out, and skinning! Have done my share of draging, carrying, and those days are gone. Oh you need my help getting a deer out, hold on, let me get the quad off the truck!:supergrin:

CanyonMan
10-20-2010, 08:06
Which is yours? Game includes white tail and hogs.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/208085_1.jpg

Works for me. ;)

CM

noway
10-20-2010, 09:40
CanyonMan, So how does that beast thing work ?

You ride her out to the pasture and put her on a graze line and then kill a deer and fetch your horse & tie the game off to the saddle?

or do you whistle and she comes on demand and tracks you down?

:cool:

One thing about using a horse that's an advantage, it sure as hell is a lot quieter than a quad or PU.

CC Glock
10-20-2010, 11:03
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/208085_1.jpg

Works for me. ;)

CM

That tie down lets em really dig in and pull some weight huh.

CanyonMan
10-21-2010, 09:40
CanyonMan, So how does that beast thing work ?

You ride her out to the pasture and put her on a graze line and then kill a deer and fetch your horse & tie the game off to the saddle?

or do you whistle and she comes on demand and tracks you down?

:cool:

One thing about using a horse that's an advantage, it sure as hell is a lot quieter than a quad or PU.

Well to answer you noway, and CC Glock on his post below ya.

Biscuit just has to carry me around. :supergrin: I take another horse on a lead rope and pack out the game on the pack saddle. This is IF I am going in an area I can't use the Pick Up ! haha.

Sometimes I'll ride around an "glass for a buck," and slip off and get in front of the horses and make my shot. Some times both horses are tied to a mesquite, with "just enough lead rope to keep their nose off the ground", cause the rattlers are still out a little bit in the canyons here even in November, unless we get a real cold snap. Where I take them, I don't want one getting bit on the nose while grazin. I don't want to hobble them where I take em cause then they don't have a chance to stomp on a snake if one comes around them.

It's sorta play by ear. If I glass and see something, I'll tie 'em up and walk a few feet away and shoot. Sometimes tie 'em up and still hunt or just sit on the canyon rim where I can see the whole world from there. haha. Never far from them though.

Some of the deer out here are so small you can throw them over the saddle and then sit behind the cantle and walk out. Most horses won't do this cause they hate that bucks head bangin up against them. I've had a rodeo before with a dead buck up on the saddle of an old horse called Chucky. Man he went nuts on me ! haha. Biscuit does real good though. Just eaiser all the way around using a pack horse. ;)

Good hunting amigo's
Have a very prosperous year out there...

CM

noway
10-21-2010, 11:30
Maybe one day I would get the Mare (horse in the Avatar ) to pack out a animal. She hasn't been ridden that much and is very unpredictable when it comes to the saddle. I Can only dream of one day she might get a clue and become a Lipizzaner but that's a long way off :rofl:

CanyonMan
10-21-2010, 12:36
Maybe one day I would get the Mare (horse in the Avatar ) to pack out a animal. She hasn't been ridden that much and is very unpredictable when it comes to the saddle. I Can only dream of one day she might get a clue and become a Lipizzaner but that's a long way off :rofl:

Hey my friend. It don't hurt to dream ! ;)

If she don't like saddles, she will HATE that dead deer on her back... :wow:
Maybe you can start workin with her and get her ready for all this. I haven't seen one yet, that with time, patients and proper traning, can't be made into a good mount. She would ( after a bit ), probably enjoy the training/work out times with you too. I hope you get the chance to do that. It would be great for 'both of ya.' ;)

Have a great huntin season amigo...

CM

CC Glock
10-21-2010, 19:58
man the first time my horse smelled a big pool of blood it was an episode to say the least. :shocked:

CanyonMan
10-21-2010, 21:42
man the first time my horse smelled a big pool of blood it was an episode to say the least. :shocked:

LOL !!!

Yep it is that way with most horses and blood or dead animals. Not always, but with most it seems. It takes training and discipline, and time and patients with most. Some are easy and very trainable and catch on fast. Some don't want to co-operate. No matter how well versed or trained, let a big cat or even a rattler "SUDDENLY" pop up in their face and at times even the best of the well trained will go ballistic . :wow: haha. Sometimes with something really stupid. ha. But, again, a good training hand can get a horse trail wise in most instantces..

Well have fun amigo, and until you get that old hoss broke of his bad habits, hang on tight ! ;)

Good hunting !

CM

Beware Owner
10-22-2010, 10:59
That's not fair, CM!

CanyonMan
10-22-2010, 12:43
That's not fair, CM!

Beats packin it out on my back, or draggin it a mile ! :supergrin:
But I been there and done that one as well. :faint:

Good hunting amigo !

CM

Big Bird
10-25-2010, 07:41
Big bird thats some big freakin deer. My biggest weighted about 225. You must be huntin some PIGS.

In my book they are huge. Don't know why except they simply have a lot of corn, soybeans and alfalfa to eat, lots of good cover and water. Probably a genetic strain in there too.

The average buck we shoot here in KY will go 170-180. A mature doe might go 110.

I go duck hunting up in Manitoba every other year and they routinely shoot 300lb whitetail bucks...:shocked:

Big Bird
10-25-2010, 08:10
double tap