10mm for hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm for hunting

Jitterbug
10-14-2010, 11:35
I've been working up some mild "plinking" loads for my 10mm Dan Wesson CBOB and I've also been reading up on some of the "hunting loads" you guy's are working up which got me to thinking of planning some winter time hunts here in Colorado, along with some potential loads.

I'm learning quite a bit from you guy's and I appreciate it.

I thought some of the "hunters" on board might enjoy this short video clip of a hunt from last winter, when we had an "unexpected guest" on one of our predator hunts, a friend was using my 22-250 so I was using the CBOB only, but I ALWAYS have the 10mm on my hip loaded up with Double Tap 200 grain XTP's or FMJ's. Here's why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2np5szT_E

And no we didn't get a shot on this guy. Maybe this year!

Kegs
10-14-2010, 12:46
I've been working up some mild "plinking" loads for my 10mm Dan Wesson CBOB and I've also been reading up on some of the "hunting loads" you guy's are working up which got me to thinking of planning some winter time hunts here in Colorado, along with some potential loads.

I'm learning quite a bit from you guy's and I appreciate it.

I thought some of the "hunters" on board might enjoy this short video clip of a hunt from last winter, when we had an "unexpected guest" on one of our predator hunts, a friend was using my 22-250 so I was using the CBOB only, but I ALWAYS have the 10mm on my hip loaded up with Double Tap 200 grain XTP's or FMJ's. Here's why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2np5szT_E

And no we didn't get a shot on this guy. Maybe this year!

Sweet - where is that roughly?

Jitterbug
10-14-2010, 14:26
Southeast part of Colorado, about 75 miles east of the mountains.

Kegs
10-14-2010, 20:17
Southeast part of Colorado, about 75 miles east of the mountains.

I always wondered about that part of the countryside...Seems like it goes on and on and on and on and I always wonder what folks do with that land out there...and what is hidden out there - I suspect a LOT (obviously cougars) :supergrin:

Jitterbug
10-15-2010, 07:03
There is the occasional bear, though rare, along with some HUGE deer, we seem to be getting more and more kitty's over the years though. Southeastern Colorado holds some spectacular countryside if one knows where to look.

Are you in Colorado Kegs?

Kegs
10-16-2010, 10:07
There is the occasional bear, though rare, along with some HUGE deer, we seem to be getting more and more kitty's over the years though. Southeastern Colorado holds some spectacular countryside if one knows where to look.

Are you in Colorado Kegs?

Nope, but have come out there hunting, motorcycling and hiking a bit over the years (mostly in the central mountains) - can't help but notice the plains when road tripping it. When I was younger I didn't really appreciate the plains, but the last time riding through there on the bike, I have a GREAT appreciation of that countryside.

eman308
10-17-2010, 08:08
Know of any hogs down there yet? I know they're moven up.
E.

Jitterbug
10-18-2010, 07:14
Eman

There have been "rumers" of hogs in the far southeastern corner of the state. I'm not sure though.

CanyonMan
10-19-2010, 19:59
Stick with deer and small pigs, if your using a 10mm.. I don't care what others do, this is not a gun/caliber for large or dangerous game. It is a service caliber. If you want to rig a 10mm to be a big game rifle/handgun, then just buy a big game rifle/handgun.

In all my years of guiding, I would not reccomend this 10mm for anything other than deer. Not unless you are a hunter that can get up on his game at bow range, and keep your cool and place your shot well. At that, I would reccomend Heavy hard cast bullets, not JHP's on game larger than deer.. It is just not the best caliber for larger than deer size game. And I have taken plenty, so I learned a thing or two... ;)

Good hunting

CM