Make my kimber pro carry 2 better [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Make my kimber pro carry 2 better

kobel1up
10-14-2010, 13:25
Well like the thread says I am wanting some help to make my gun better. It is stock as of right now and want to make it a reliable, smooth and enjoyable gun to own as possible. I have read of failure to feed and other issues with kimber guns and need some input to make my experience as good as possible.

What should I expect the first 500rds? This gun is brand new. Which mag should I look for as a second mag? I have heard that the mag can be the problem with most FTF. Should I get a colt, wilson, dan wesson? Are there any springs that I should replace, extractor?

My life is going to depend on this gun because I will be carrying it every day. I don't want to have a failure when my life and families life may depend on it.

Thank you so much for your help.:supergrin:

rsxr22
10-14-2010, 13:31
i would recommend getting several wilson, chip mccormick, tripp, or dawson mags. I use the first two options. After you get those, run the gun, and run it hard and see if it performs. If it does, then your good. If not then you can look into extractor upgrades and such. By the way, make sure you feed whatever JHP's you plan on carrying through the gun. I recommend atleast 100 trouble free rounds. I have always had the best luck with Powrball and Hornady Critical Defense.

thecableguy
10-14-2010, 13:43
I would recommend that you go out and run it as is and then if you deem it necessary to change something or if you do have problems then think about changing stuff out. Remember this is the internet most the stuff you hear somebody else heard form a cousins friends dads uncle.(some are legit complaints.) A lot of people have kimbers and they run fine. So go ahead and run it like it is and you may find out that it is perfect as is.

kobel1up
10-14-2010, 13:59
You guys are right about it being the internet and most things you read are just hear say. I wasn't sure if there were things that should be changed or not. I will take the advice and run it and see if I have any mishaps. I have mainly only owned glocks, g23 and g27. Not real versed in 1911s and kimbers to be precise. I guess if I have any issues then you will see another thread. Lets hope not. Thanks.

Hokie1911
10-14-2010, 16:08
I would replace the MIM barrel, then the MIM slide, and may as well get rid of the MIM frame. Then you should be good to go. :thumbsup:

Gregg702
10-14-2010, 16:16
I would replace the MIM barrel, then the MIM slide, and may as well get rid of the MIM frame. Then you should be good to go. :thumbsup:

What about all those MIM springs and the MIM sights?:rofl:

Hokie1911
10-14-2010, 16:20

Did Master Pistolsmith SuperDuper Custom Builder Joe Chambers clarify if the mags and sights were MIM too? :whistling:

DrtyHarry
10-14-2010, 16:20

Everything MIM should go, maybe Kimber's "custom shop" can do it. :rofl:

For real though, try running some of those newer Wilson mags and see where that get's you.

Harry

Hokie1911
10-14-2010, 16:23
Kobel - I would run the stock mag to see if it works for you. My ProCarry2 was 9mm, but I had zero issues with the stock mag. I also used a Wilson ETM. I would also look at getting some Wolff Springs.

Quack
10-14-2010, 16:37
sell it and buy a Glock :tongueout:

SIGShooter
10-14-2010, 16:47
Run it as is before you go changing anything on the gun.

The last I checked, the magazines that are used by Kimber are made by Checkmate magazines. Those are the only magazines that I use for my 1911 and have had zero issues with them.

Gregg702
10-14-2010, 17:04
Kobel - I would run the stock mag to see if it works for you. My ProCarry2 was 9mm, but I had zero issues with the stock mag. I also used a Wilson ETM. I would also look at getting some Wolff Springs.

Both the stock mags that came with my Kimbers work just fine also.

Jim S.
10-14-2010, 18:37
What should I expect the first 500rds?

I would say it should be just fine. Also if there are any problems in the first 500 rounds they probably would go away sometime soon after that.
keep it clean and lubed and shoot the snot out of it.
My life is going to depend on this gun because I will be carrying it every day. I don't want to have a failure when my life and families life may depend on it.

I would suggest shooting at least 500 rounds out of it before you count on it for carry or anything else.

your welcome.

Kegs
10-14-2010, 19:28
Well like the thread says I am wanting some help to make my gun better. It is stock as of right now and want to make it a reliable, smooth and enjoyable gun to own as possible. I have read of failure to feed and other issues with kimber guns and need some input to make my experience as good as possible.

What should I expect the first 500rds? This gun is brand new. Which mag should I look for as a second mag? I have heard that the mag can be the problem with most FTF. Should I get a colt, wilson, dan wesson? Are there any springs that I should replace, extractor?

Run 200 rounds of brass cased ball ammo (produced by a popular mfgr.) through it cleaning it thoroughly every box or so = Broke in.

Carry a high powered flashlight. Train at night as much as you can with it.

Make sure you can shoot it with the flashlight. I carry those weapons cocked and locked with a round chambered - and that is the way they are supposed to be carried. Get a quality holster for it and obey all safety rules.

Choose some various defense ammo and stick with whatever you can hit the tightest groups with closest to point of impact...

The kimbers are very fine pistols - those pro carry w/decent defense ammo hit pretty close to exactly point of aim. You can't do much better to make it run more smoothly, to be honest - because they are probably as good as anyone could make them and for sure, they are good enough (unless there is a defect, which should be pretty easy to spot within the 200 rounds - probably within the first 20).

No need to replace anything.

Have fun and stay safe.

ArmoryDoc
10-15-2010, 00:02
Run it as is before you go changing anything on the gun.

Listen to the man. This is most important. Change only what "needs" changed. Then, one thing at a time and make sure each change works. :cool:

kirgi08
10-15-2010, 02:57
Yep.'08.

Rinspeed
10-15-2010, 04:25
The last I checked, the magazines that are used by Kimber are made by Checkmate magazines. Those are the only magazines that I use for my 1911 and have had zero issues with them.

I think only the Kimpro Tac mags are made by Checkmate.

samuse
10-15-2010, 06:19
I had a Kimber and the factory 7 round mag worked fine. Guess I was lucky, it also ran well for about 1500 rounds.

If your experiencing feed malfunctions with the supplied mag, try something else, if it persists or has other problems, pack it up and get it fixed. 45ACP is too expensive to waste, hoping a gun will "break in".

If you really want to improve the gun, have a competant 'smith do a fluff-n-buff (tune extractor, tune ejector, correct & polish feedramp, ream & polish chamber & throat, perfect the barrel timing, get rid of the FPS)

VanguardMP
10-15-2010, 07:58
I love my Pro Carry II. It's actually my most carried 1911. I recommend you use the Kimber Tactical magazines. They have worked reliably in my pistol. The Chip McCormick's for some reason did not.

VMP

kobel1up
10-15-2010, 08:26
Well the response was great on the info. I am used to the rib jabs on the forum, I have owned Glocks. 2 g23, and g27, loved them all, but I have an 18 month old running around. I want a gun that is hard to work, I do keep it out of reach and I am getting a gun safe this weekend. Just want to try something new, and I did miss my 1911. When I sold my last glock it found a good home with a marine.

dakrat
10-15-2010, 09:42
When I sold my last glock it found a good home with a marine.

that Glock will reproduce :whistling: