9x18 snuck into 9x19 brass...what would happen? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9x18 snuck into 9x19 brass...what would happen?

GlennP
10-14-2010, 15:55
Just putting a tray of ammo (9x19 reloads) away and a funny headstamp caught my eye. Well, its a fiocchi 9x18 MAK case! Now, what would happen if I were to fire this through a modern 9x19 pistol in good working order? I loaded it with a CCI SP primer, 4 grains of bullseye, and a montana gold 124 grain JHP. Obviously the bullet was seated out to the same depth as 9mm.

Im obviously going to go pokin around now but assuming worst case scenario, what would happen if this was fired in a 9x19 pistol? Would I even notice? Or would I notice when the gun explodes violently in my hands....?

Boxerglocker
10-14-2010, 17:03
What will happen is if it gets past your quality checks prior to use... and your shooting a match with your G34 and LWD barrel, smoking the rest of the competition in the first 4 of six stages. Then that little MAK F%#Ker gets in the gun during a smooth reload... JAMMMM!!! and Jam hard it will... so much so that it will take beating the slide against a wooden bench to get it out. The resulting loss of time causing you several places in position for the match. Ask me how I know??? :upeyes:

Unistat
10-14-2010, 17:44
what will happen is if it gets past your quality checks prior to use... And your shooting a match with your g34 and lwd barrel, smoking the rest of the competition in the first 4 or six stages. Then that little mak f%#ker get in the gun during a smooth reload... Jammmm!!! And jam hard it will... So much so that it will take beating the slide against a wooden bench to get it out. The resulting loss of time causing you several places in position for the match. Ask me how i know??? :upeyes:

rofl!

EOD3
10-14-2010, 17:45
Maybe nothing (misfire) a good thing. The 9MM head spaces on the case so the round will crawl a little further into the chamber. IF the firing pin can't reach the primer everything is cool. IF it reaches the primer, the head-space excess would almost certainly result in a catastrophic event (BOOM)

Boxerglocker
10-14-2010, 18:40
Maybe nothing (misfire) a good thing. The 9MM head spaces on the case so the round will crawl a little further into the chamber. IF the firing pin can't reach the primer everything is cool. IF it reaches the primer, the head-space excess would almost certainly result in a catastrophic event (BOOM)

Because the case diameter is wider at the base the MAK won't even chamber completely...

WiskyT
10-14-2010, 18:47
The 9x18 case and the 9x19 case are so similar that you can make 9x18 brass by trimming 9x19 brass. The OP's 9x18 has undoubtedly been run through his 9x19 die, so it should chamber fine. I doubt he would even notice the round firing any differently.

mboylan
10-14-2010, 18:56
The Makarov case is pretty much a trimmed Luger case. The .380 is a different case all together. The round might jam going in or jam going out.

It would fire OK and bell out the mouth a bit. Now if you loaded that Makarov case with a Mak bullet and not a Luger bullet, you would have a real problem on your hands (.363 vs .355).

diode
10-14-2010, 19:04
That would be a Glockarov.. Run thru the sizing die I doubt much of a problem would result...jmho tho..

Boxerglocker
10-14-2010, 19:22
The 9x18 case and the 9x19 case are so similar that you can make 9x18 brass by trimming 9x19 brass. The OP's 9x18 has undoubtedly been run through his 9x19 die, so it should chamber fine. I doubt he would even notice the round firing any differently.

OH, you don't think the round I loaded with a MAK case was run through a sizing die? You guys should look at the base diameter specs, I pondered this myself for several hours, before I caught the 9x18 on the case. Then looked at the manual diagrams for both 9x19 and 9x18. The MAK is wider at the base shown in my Lyman manual, only made sense that it would NOT / Did NOT chamber, holding my G34 slide open. You guys should load one up and shove it in your own guns. :upeyes:

Bob2223
10-14-2010, 19:34
OH, you don't think the round I loaded with a MAK case was run through a sizing die? You guys should look at the base diameter specs, I pondered this myself for several hours, before I caught the 9x18 on the case. Then looked at the manual diagrams for both 9x19 and 9x18. The MAK is wider at the base shown in my Lyman manual, only made sense that it would NOT / Did NOT chamber, holding my G34 slide open. You guys should load one up and shove it in your own guns. :upeyes:

Laughed out loud at post # 2, then again with this! :rofl:

Bob

WiskyT
10-14-2010, 19:43

http://www.makarov.com/graphics/9mmcases.jpg

According to this diagram, the 9x19 is wider at the base and rim than the 9x18.

BigDog[RE]
10-14-2010, 19:43
I've had a couple slip through over the years, only noticed when I was cleaning up the brass, not when I was firing.

Boxerglocker
10-14-2010, 20:11
Sorry rephrase... my recolllection at the time was the manual diagram showed the MAK wider at the bottom of the case prior to the groove. (that is as far as it would chamber into the barrel) I don't have access to the Lyman manual with me.
I can asure you though this happened it is burned in my mind, cause of the circumstance. In fact, I may have even posted about it here when it did.

WiskyT
10-14-2010, 20:13
Sorry rephrase... my recolllection at the time was the manual diagram showed the MAK wider at the bottom of the case prior to the groove. (that is as far as it would chamber into the barrel) I don't have access to the Lyman manual with me.
I can asure you though this happened it is burned in my mind, cause of the circumstance. In fact, I may have even posted about it here when it did.

A 40SW case would cause the problem you described and could have easily been mis-identified while you were cursing the gun gods that were ruining your day.

Boxerglocker
10-14-2010, 20:23
A 40SW case would cause the problem you described and could have easily been mis-identified while you were cursing the gun gods that were ruining your day.

No Wiskey, it was a MAK... I was loading 147 LFP with Solo1000, Coal was running with me that day. I managed to remove the slide off the gun and get the LWD out, switched back to the OEM and factory ammo cause I didn't want to take a risk. Threw it all in the range bag, cursing myself cause I got complacent and didn't case gauge every single round of the 200 I loaded last minute the night before to make that match. The slide made it within a 1/4 inch of closing battery and jammed hard. I got a re-shoot cause the SO took the gun out of my hands trying to be a nice guy and help me out. But at that point was so flustered and pissed my day was blown. Besides a .40 case wouldn't have made it onto the shell plate of my SDB a 550 maybe but not a SDB. You don't forget things like this...

Jim Watson
10-14-2010, 20:28
I was more fortunate than Boxerglocker.

I have had Boxer primed Makarov brass slip in with the "once fired" range sweepings. They show up either when noticed by the extra bullet protruding above the case mouth or when inspected by dropping way into the gauge.
You DO inspect your loaded ammo, don't you?

I got curious and ran a couple through a 9mm Colt. They fed, fired, and functioned; no doubt headspacing on the extractor.

shotgunred
10-14-2010, 21:28

That should be against the law! At my club we have a guy that does just that. I hate it when I get those trimmed cases in my press.
But like the 380 it is easy to see once the bullet is seated in the brass.

EOD3
10-15-2010, 15:31
That should be against the law! At my club we have a guy that does just that. I hate it when I get those trimmed cases in my press.

Those of us reloading .357 will have the same problem with the cases used for the Lever Evolution bullets. :steamed:

WiskyT
10-15-2010, 18:35

Agreed. While they're at it, they could ban SPP 45ACP brass, or just eliminate all LPP.