Malware, AVG and Spybot all missing virus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Malware, AVG and Spybot all missing virus

DonMcnut
10-14-2010, 16:10
I have used all 3 of them, fully updated and they can't rid me of a browser redirect bug for google search results. Running XP SP3 with the latest and greatest security updates.

GIockGuy24
10-14-2010, 16:39
Try replacing AVG with Avira Antivir. Avast seems to work better than AVG also but takes longer to scan than Antivir.

http://filehippo.com/download_antivir/

IndyGunFreak
10-14-2010, 17:40
I have used all 3 of them, fully updated and they can't rid me of a browser redirect bug for google search results. Running XP SP3 with the latest and greatest security updates.

Have you ran those Apps in Safe mode? Those 3 really should take care of this I would think...

srhoades
10-14-2010, 21:28
Combofix in safemode. You still may need to make sure your browser is not using a proxy server after that.

Linux3
10-14-2010, 22:46
One more time.
A virus / Trojan gets released into the wild.
Your company finds this malware.
They analyze it.
They issue an update.
You update your definitions.
If you don't already have the infection you are protected.

I am getting sick of this at work. I spend too much of my day cleaning systems of people who say they keep their virus / trojan application up to date.

Sorry, I had a bad day.
Even Microsoft is suggesting that all MS systems run an app to scan for current protection software before you are allowed on the internet.

I manage a few email lists and a virus is running rampant on them.
I don't get such things but if you would like to see what my day is like....

filthy infidel
10-16-2010, 07:26
Some particularly nasty code infected some of our customers this past week, we've done eight complete reloads thus far.

DonMcnut
10-16-2010, 11:22
One more time.
A virus / Trojan gets released into the wild.
Your company finds this malware.
They analyze it.
They issue an update.
You update your definitions.
If you don't already have the infection you are protected.

I am getting sick of this at work. I spend too much of my day cleaning systems of people who say they keep their virus / trojan application up to date.

Sorry, I had a bad day.
Even Microsoft is suggesting that all MS systems run an app to scan for current protection software before you are allowed on the internet.

I manage a few email lists and a virus is running rampant on them.
I don't get such things but if you would like to see what my day is like....

I did that for 8 years full time and I will continue to do it on the side for cash if people don't want to do it themselves. I can make $100 by hooking their machine up to my 2nd monitor and run scans while I am already sitting at my desk watching something, surfing or gaming.

DonMcnut
10-16-2010, 11:25
Some particularly nasty code infected some of our customers this past week, we've done eight complete reloads thus far.

I have an aunt that owns a computer store in a college town. She says she is seeming the same kind of bug but mostly on Vista/7 machines. Probably due more to marketshare than anything else.

Slug71
10-16-2010, 15:34
Dont use IE. Use Firefox, Google chrome or Opera. IE is the most unsafe POS.

Sgt. Schultz
10-16-2010, 15:40
I spend too much of my day cleaning systems of people who say they keep their virus / trojan application up to date.

FWIW ... a simple Windows batch file or a login script can force all of the computers to update daily.

JFrame
10-16-2010, 18:35
To the OP -- if the suggestions so far have not worked for you, try using Super AntiSpyware. It is the most aggressive application for rooting out malware I've seen. I run Avira AntiVir, Windows Defender, and Comodo Firewall, and still got nailed with a Trojan. Super AntiSpyware took it right out.

The freeware version of S.A. is on-demand only, but it's great for running occasional scans to clean out malware, tracking software, etc.