Load for 6920 help. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Load for 6920 help.

Teecher45
10-14-2010, 18:51
I don't reload, my father does. He reloads for his hunting rifles only. I have recieved a couple of buckets of once fired brass and want to reload about 1000 rounds to just keep for whatever. I would most likely shoot them at coyotes or paper but would like them to be capable for self defense against two legged critters. His reloading manuals are old and I'm guessing outdated.
What would be the best bullet (1 in 7 twist) for my needs per dollar?
What powder works the best in the 6920?
What's your starting / ending load?
All suggestions / cautions are welcomed.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jumper
10-14-2010, 21:26
I am going to assume you mean a Colt 6920 rifle. I'm not a Colt fan so I don't associate a number with a model but I think I've seen reference to it before. If I'm wrong, ignore all that follows:

There are several powders that are excellent for .223, my favorite is Benchmark. It burns clean with the right pressure to cycle the action at the right speed and it meters easily. Great velocity too.

For data start at hodgdon's reloading data website; http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

For bullets there are several sources. I like 55gr FMJ's from Zero Bullets. 55gr up to 69gr are the standard bullet weights.

You'll want to full length re-size your brass every reloading. Forster makes excellent dies, so does Lee. I've tried Redding but I prefer Forster. Bump your shoulder back ~ .002" and you should have reliable, accurate cartridges.

If your brass is Nato or Lake City you will probably have to remove the primer pocket crimp. Hornady makes a crimp remover tool you can chuck up in a power drill that works well. Dillon makes a swager thats faster but more expensive.

I'm sure you'll have more questions but that should get you started. :wavey:

MrOldLude
10-15-2010, 08:13
For just general purpose shooting in my AR, I load Winchester 55 gr FMJ. I drive it with 24.5 gr of Accurate 2230. That gave me the best perceived accuracy. (6-rounds, iron sights) Your mileage may vary. (as a caveat, these bullets are cheap, but there's a measure of visible variation. I feed my bolt-gun 69 gr Speer HPBT)

For a given powder, always always always start with the minimum load and work up. Never start with the max load.

For this bullet weight and style, the minimum powder weight is 22.5 grains. The max I believe is about 25 grains.

rg1
10-15-2010, 13:45
Here's one good article on loading for an AR:http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html Don't get the AI information mixed up with standard .223 Rem data. Ackley Improved has a different case size in the neck shoulder area.
I shoot a lot of 55 fmj bullets in different AR's with 1-7 twists. Hornady 55 fmj's are about as good as you can buy. Their 55 grain SP's also shoot well in 1-7 twists and should do well on coyotes if you are not interested in fur damage plus the Hornady 55 grain bullets are not too expensive. You now have an endless choice for hunting or self-defense. The 60-65 grain bullets designed for hunting up to deer sized game would shoot well also in your 1-7 barrel. For long range the 68-69 match up to 77-80 grain for the longest ranges.

byf43
10-16-2010, 06:01
I use RCBS "Competition Dies" for my AR.

23.0 gr. H-335
Sierra Matchking 69 gr BTHP
Federal 205M primer
Winchester or Federal brass, trimmed to 1.750"

My AR loves this load. H-335 meters extremely well in Dillon RL550B

gjk5
10-16-2010, 20:05
For just general purpose shooting in my AR, I load Winchester 55 gr FMJ. I drive it with 24.5 gr of Accurate 2230. That gave me the best perceived accuracy. (6-rounds, iron sights) Your mileage may vary. (as a caveat, these bullets are cheap, but there's a measure of visible variation. I feed my bolt-gun 69 gr Speer HPBT)

For a given powder, always always always start with the minimum load and work up. Never start with the max load.

For this bullet weight and style, the minimum powder weight is 22.5 grains. The max I believe is about 25 grains.

Have had good results with the same load out of my Stag.

mboylan
10-17-2010, 15:27
68 grain Hornaday match bullet over 25 grains of VV N-140. Works good with Sierra Matchkings as well.