H&k or Sig????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : H&k or Sig?????

cfec2008
10-14-2010, 21:18
Ok, i know i know, im i sure some are reading this and rolling their eyes but i really need some help. no matter how many reviews or forums i read on the net i cant make up my mind. I want a sig p220 carry, or a hk 45 compact. Which is absoloutly most reliable?

I also want a sig p229sct or a hk p30. again which is more reliable. please make sure to tell me your picks , , and any other info will also be a great help. I have read that sig had a lot of problems after 2004 and that hk has never had any major issues. This could be totally wrong. thats why i am here asking for lots of help... pros and cons of each will help to . thanks to all that respond.

MrBruceWayne
10-19-2010, 13:20
see my (unbiased) response over in the HK room...

LEAD
10-19-2010, 13:23
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1244571

bac1023
10-19-2010, 13:37
If you're talking an Exeter Sig, make mine an HK.

rfd339
10-19-2010, 23:31
I own 2 US made Sigs and 2 German/US made and 1 totally made German made Sig . With that said , I have not had 1 issue from any of them. The only Hk I own is an HK91 but no pistols...yet. I think both are great preforming pistols so question you might have to ask is which 1 fits your hand the best and shoots to your liking.

jonbondave
10-20-2010, 02:40
I'd say, get both. :) I really want a P30 in 9mm wiht an LEM trigger.

oily_oink
10-20-2010, 02:42
Find a nice P245 & never look back! :supergrin:

DEADEYEGUY
10-22-2010, 23:56
Tough call. I have owned both guns. Still have the HK. Sold the SIG. Sometimes regret it. Both very accurate and totally reliable. I kept the HK .45c because it offers me the option of either cocked and locked or DA/SA. Like I said accuracy and reliablity were great with both. Like the HK's grip better. Having said that the HK is a bit on the expensive side for parts. I lucked out and found a third mag for mine for $36.00 at a gun show. The mags are expensive. And I'm glad they don't break easily from what I've heard about HK customer service.
One of the local Sheriff's Departments around here got rid of their MP5's because they couldn't get good service from HK for their MP5's. Kind of surprised me. I heard they could be tough for an individual but Law enforcement and Military sales are supposed to be it's bread and butter. SIG has really been having some QC issues as if late. I would lean towards the HK. YMMV.

jonbondave
10-23-2010, 00:11
As far as SIG QC issues. I have 3 spanning the last half decade, P229R = 2004, P226 Blackwater = early 2008, and P226R DAK = june of 2010. All are well made, all are totally reliable. The two P226's are all american guns as well. I think most of the QC problems were with the P238's and the P250's. I rarely hear of an actual classic with issues. People do ***** though about plastic guide rods and mainspring cradles, but lets be honestm their main competition can build a gun for 40 dollars and sell it for 500. =) maybe we should cut them a bit of slack... HK's are great guns, the best of the best for plastic framed service pistols IMO :)

cfec2008
11-07-2010, 09:30
i read about qc problems and craftsmanship problems over and over about sig...and i never read those things about h&k. im thinking i may go with the p30 double single without the safety. point and shoot. but im still not in a big hurry because my mind easily changes.

Cobra64
11-12-2010, 23:14
I have six Sigs and a P2000 with zero reliability issues with any of them.

Sigs typically have better triggers. Ergos vary depending on personal preference. My SigPro has a great DA trigger, but it didn't fit me at all, so I sold it.

mnglock30
11-13-2010, 23:33
I just got a Sig 226 E2 and got rid of my HK P30. Both amazing pistols, but the Sig wins in my book for a few reasons. I could not get my grip to work with the P30's long slide stop release. My right thumb felt jammed under the lever, and it was never natural when I shot it. Not a prob with the Sig. The options of high cap mags and numerous grip options makes the Sig a winner in my book too. I'm getting the magwell grips and 20 round mags- talk about firepower. Another area the Sig won for me is the trigger, hands down better in my book. Don't take this as an HK bash, my p2000sk sits in my waistband as I type, but I don't have the issues with it as I did with the P30...JMHO. Oh, I almost forgot about the standard HK sights. Rechargeable glow sights...really? Wait intruder, I have to grab my flashlight so I can see my sights...My E2 came standard with really great night sights. The moral of this story is Guns need to fit, there is no perfect gun for everyone. If something doesn't work, it's not going to work when you really need it.

jamaicanj
11-22-2010, 20:14
You should rent or borrow a P30 before buying one as you may not like the way the controls are set up. The mag release and decocker for example are not in the usual place that you are accustomed to finding the controls and takes getting used to and can cause quite a bit of confusion especially if your other pistols use the conventional spots for the controls.

Other than that possible issue, the p30 is super nice

Edited to add:
The standard sights are a waste of time for "night sight" usage as they are not tritium based and require recharging.

cfec2008
11-22-2010, 21:17
thanks for the replys.

Defender77
11-28-2010, 07:28
My only gripe with my SIG P229r (with rails) 9mm is that there is gouging in the frame rails.

No idea how they got there but the more I shoot, the more gouging there is.

I have switched from gun lube to grease but I dunno if that has made any difference.

As for performance, the gun is a fantastic shooter in my humble opinion...especially for rapid fire.

It just gets back on target so easily and quickly, I can shoot out the paper if need be though I'm sure most of you here can do that with any gun.

The SIG Is pretty heavy though for CCW in my noob opinion, but I think the weight is what makes it fire so well, a very balanced gun.

babarracing
12-04-2010, 13:08
:wavey: I have had three SIG P220's. One German two U.S.A. none have ever had a single failure to Feed/fire. Feb "08 gun did break takedown lever after 50 rds though. I can not say the same for the SIG 1911 it had a litany of issues to make it 100% rliable. H&K Screwed me once on an H&K 91 in mid '80's. They will never get another dollar of mine. I'd rather defend myself with a Bowie then an H&K just on principal. Fact not Fiction.:steamed:

FM12
12-05-2010, 23:10
Get a good used or new 220 and be done with it!

checkyoursix
12-06-2010, 16:57
I just got a Sig 226 E2 and got rid of my HK P30. Both amazing pistols, but the Sig wins in my book for a few reasons. I could not get my grip to work with the P30's long slide stop release. My right thumb felt jammed under the lever, and it was never natural when I shot it. Not a prob with the Sig. The options of high cap mags and numerous grip options makes the Sig a winner in my book too. I'm getting the magwell grips and 20 round mags- talk about firepower. Another area the Sig won for me is the trigger, hands down better in my book. Don't take this as an HK bash, my p2000sk sits in my waistband as I type, but I don't have the issues with it as I did with the P30...JMHO. Oh, I almost forgot about the standard HK sights. Rechargeable glow sights...really? Wait intruder, I have to grab my flashlight so I can see my sights...My E2 came standard with really great night sights. The moral of this story is Guns need to fit, there is no perfect gun for everyone. If something doesn't work, it's not going to work when you really need it.

I actually won an E2 at a raffle for an IDPA State match, and would have made exactly your comments, with the exception of the fact that I prefer the P99 AS to both which is anyway irrelevant here.

Haven't shot the E2 much yet, I had to wait for months to receive it, but it's an outstanding gun with an excellent trigger out of the box, far superior to the P30. Easy to handle. Being left handed, hate the decocker which is why I haven't bought SIG's in a long time.

kayl
12-06-2010, 17:33
Sig all the way

I've got a German P245, US P220 & P229 and they're all great :)

I sold my P30, but I'll never get rid of my Sigs :)

deeHKman
12-06-2010, 22:33
If you're talking an Exeter Sig, make mine an HK.

bac, said exactly what i would do for sure. HK

lawdog734
12-07-2010, 19:08
I have both, sig is my duty weapon. I have never had a problem with either. The only bad thing I can say about either is the hk's da trigger pull is god awful.

mnglock30
12-07-2010, 19:18
I've put close to 500 through my E2 now, what an awesome weapon. I have lots of handguns and this is the best shooting weapon I own. Thinking about a 229 now for carry..

dagwag77
12-09-2010, 10:44
I haven't seen a single US built sig fail from any reason other than operator error in my department, 120 officers. All recent model 229 .40s in DAK. (Lets try cleaning them more than 1x a year, or keep the dremel away from department property!)

lawdog734
12-10-2010, 17:34
I haven't seen a single US built sig fail from any reason other than operator error in my department, 120 officers. All recent model 229 .40s in DAK. (Lets try cleaning them more than 1x a year, or keep the dremel away from department property!)

Your place must be like mine.....

jonbondave
12-10-2010, 18:02
I've got two US made P226's you couldn't pay to fail.

Two Guns
12-10-2010, 18:49
For a 45 I would go for the HK.For the 9mm I would go for a Sig P228.

cfec2008
12-11-2010, 02:06
ill have to say that i went with sig, and i actually got a sig equinox 229 in 40, a west german 226 in 9mm and a west german 225 in 9mm. havent had a failure out of around 400 rounds total bewteen all three. i know thats not much , im just telling ya what ive got through them so far. . .