Ranger Ammo - Strange Brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Ammo - Strange Brass

PghJim
10-15-2010, 12:16
I was wondering if anyone has seen this. I just received 3 boxes of Ranger 9mm, 115gr JHP +p+ ammo from a reputable source. First, the brass is not nickel plated. I have bought a lot of Ranger ammo, but all the "T" series and all nickel plated. Second, the head of each round has the following four things stamped on it 90 degrees apart, "WCC", "+p+", "0", and "1". I have never seen what could be considered commercial ammo made in the US that did not have the cartridge stamped on the head.

I guess the ammo is what the box says it is, but there is this lingering doubt.

cowboy1964
10-15-2010, 12:38
My Ranger 127 +P+ (RA9TA) has the exact same markings. Nickel plated case.

1SGMP
10-15-2010, 12:57
I was wondering if anyone has seen this. I just received 3 boxes of Ranger 9mm, 115gr JHP +p+ ammo from a reputable source. First, the brass is not nickel plated. I have bought a lot of Ranger ammo, but all the "T" series and all nickel plated. Second, the head of each round has the following four things stamped on it 90 degrees apart, "WCC", "+p+", "0", and "1". I have never seen what could be considered commercial ammo made in the US that did not have the cartridge stamped on the head.

I have the same exact ammo, It's awesome stuff Out of my G26 a real tack driver and very reliable. Actually this is probably the tightest ammo I have fired out of the 26. From what I have heard thru this web site a real good street performer. Border patrol used it with great sucess for many years (actually I think it was the remingtom 115 +P+) also Illionis State Police.
You made a good choice
1SG

PghJim
10-15-2010, 13:07
Cowboy and 1SG - So I am good to go with this? I have some olded 127 +p+ and it say 9mm on the case head. Do they only give you nickel plating on the T Series?

PghJim
10-15-2010, 13:11
Border patrol used it with great sucess for many years (actually I think it was the remingtom 115 +P+) also Illionis State Police.
1SG

Actually, this partciular round was develop from the Illionis State Police working with Federal on a +p+ round and for some reason were displeased and Winchester picked it up. You are right in that it is susposed to be a good SD round from everything I read. It took me a couple of months to find some.

Merkavaboy
10-15-2010, 13:14

What you have is very typical Win Ranger 115JHP+P+ ammo; brass cased with military style headstamp ("WCC" and a 2-digit date code).

1SGMP
10-15-2010, 14:40
Actually, this partciular round was develop from the Illionis State Police working with Federal on a +p+ round and for some reason were displeased and Winchester picked it up. You are right in that it is susposed to be a good SD round from everything I read. It took me a couple of months to find some.
SGAMMO.com has them for sale I think under 20 bucks for 50 rounds

hotpig
10-15-2010, 14:49
All T-Series ammo has the nickle case. A agency can special order brass to save money if the order is very large.

Sounds like you have the Ranger 115+P+ RA9115HP+ that was developed for ISP. Federal made the 9BPLE to compete with it. Both use generic hollow points instead of premium bullets.

BOGE
10-15-2010, 14:51
It is superb self defense ammo. I traded a bunch to a buddy for Fed. BPLE as it is more accurate in my G19 & SIG 228, however that was in my guns. YMMV.

ColCol
10-16-2010, 12:54
Sounds like you have the Ranger 115+P+ RA9115HP+ that was developed for ISP. Federal made the 9BPLE to compete with it. Both use generic hollow points instead of premium bullets.

Hmmm...I thought the 9BPLE (at least originally) was the Sierra 115 JHP...don't know about now.

Merkavaboy
10-16-2010, 14:32
Hmmm...I thought the 9BPLE (at least originally) was the Sierra 115 JHP...don't know about now.

Federal's 115JHP bullet is of their own design, which has been tweeked numerous times over the last 25+ years.

1Sg (Ret)
10-22-2010, 20:21
I am not sure but the brass cased ammo is from some contract over run.

hotpig
10-22-2010, 20:28
I am not sure but the brass cased ammo is from some contract over run.I have used the RA9115HP+ since graduating the academy. It has always been brass cased.