What do you when you buy a new 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you when you buy a new 1911?

Quack
10-15-2010, 14:37
Since it seems like everyone has their own method when they buy a new 1911, what do you do?

I usually detail strip the gun and clean it out. this will get any little particles out of the nooks and crannies.

I check the extractor tension. I started this after i bought my EMP, whose extractor had a deathgrip on the ammo, which caused FTFeeds. I adjusted it at the range, and it's been good ever since. A lot of initial new gun issues could be related to the extractor.

I used to treat the barrel with MilTech, but I'm out of it right now, so haven't doen't the last couple of guns.

I usually make a slurry of FP-10 and JB Bore Compound to lo lap the slide and frame. I learned this from 1911Tuner on another site and it may be the reason why my guns seemed to run from the start. This also seems to reduce the "break-in" rounds that are needed for a 1911.

For lubrication i use this :rofl:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Mobile%20Uploads/a8f27b91.jpg

I don't have a single favorite lube, but i do use grease on any part that slides and oil anything that pivots. Right now i use Slide-Glide Lite and either Wilson or Ed Brown oil.

I don't clean the gun until after 300rds or so. The unburnt powder will mix with the oil to help lap the slide/frame. I think Wilson recommends not cleaning (only adding lube) until after 500rounds for this reason. For cleaning, I usually use Hoppe's, Butch's Bore Shine, a Dewey rod and jag. I only use a brush on rear occasions, but not often. I recently got Gun Slick foaming Bore Cleaner and it seems to work well.

and i think that's it.

knedrgr
10-15-2010, 15:26
:Here are my methods:

1) Before the first outing, clean and lube with Hopes and FP-10. And get a base line of the out-of-the-box gun.

2) I give it to the Quacksmith to work over the sear and hammer hook. And then measure the trigger pull.

3) Install a flat trigger. :supergrin

drc767
10-15-2010, 15:31
I take it out of the rug and shoot the piss out of it......Just like I used to do with my new motors back in my racing days...."Drive it like you hate it...." :)

BlayGlock
10-15-2010, 16:12
I dont do anything to it and take it out and run a few hundred through it. Then I detail strip, clean, and lube. If the trigger is terrible I go ahead and fix that before shooting.

fmrranger
10-15-2010, 16:16
Since it seems like everyone has their own method when they buy a new 1911, what do you do?
The first time I hold it I sing and dance with glee! When I get it home I find a dark private area all to myself where I fondle it with the satisfaction of a crack addict who just scored his next fix, all the while repeatedly saying "Precious, my Precious". Then I hide the bill from my wife! :whistling:

HAIL CAESAR
10-15-2010, 16:18
It's funny, but I do almost the same as Quack. Except I never heard of MilTech'ing the barrel. But I use it and TWB-25 as a lube.

Quack
10-15-2010, 16:41
I apply Militec to the inside and outside of the barrel. seems to make cleaning the barrel a lot easier.

http://www.militec1.com/applicationinstructions1.html

GVFlyer
10-15-2010, 17:02
I clean the bore with Shooter's Choice products. Drench the gun in Militec, heat it up with a hair dryer, wipe it down and go shooting.

BOGE
10-15-2010, 17:07
It's funny, but I do almost the same as Quack. Except I never heard of MilTech'ing the barrel. But I use it and TWB-25 as a lube.

Don`t worry Bac, Militec is basically ``snake oil´´. You can`t ``season`` a barrel like a cast iron frying pan.

Quack
10-15-2010, 17:13
I don't have any Militec anymore because i ran out of all the free samples (that they used to send out) :rofl:

den888
10-15-2010, 20:01
I field strip it, clean and lube it, then fill up the mags and go out and shoot it !

bac1023
10-15-2010, 20:19
Don`t worry Bac, Militec is basically ``snake oil´´. You can`t ``season`` a barrel like a cast iron frying pan.

:rofl:

bac1023
10-15-2010, 20:21
I field strip it, clean and lube it, then fill up the mags and go out and shoot it !

Pretty much the same for me.

Unfortunately, that may take a couple weeks before I get that done.

This winter, I plan to undertake a project of detail stripping all of my 1911s.

...or at least half. ;)

deadite
10-15-2010, 20:38

...or at least half. ;)

For a real challenge, you should detail strip all of them and randomly put all of the parts in a big pile, mix them all up and try to reassemble.

Just a thought. ;)

deadite

deadite
10-15-2010, 20:41
Oddly enough, I read the owner's manual seeing if there is something I've never read before.

Then, I break it down, clean all the factory grease out of it, liberally lube, cycle the action alot, check function of the safeties, etc. and then go shooting.

deadite

rsxr22
10-15-2010, 20:53
I break it down and lube it, then go and run the gun.

Quack, I think i need you to do some flat trigger installs for me!! I just need to get some time off from the gun shop. You arent planning on going to the Barea show next weekend are ya?? Will be set up out there.

Quack
10-15-2010, 20:55
i'll probably stop by Berea next Saturday.

i'm actually going to be in Youngstown on monday for work.

rsxr22
10-15-2010, 21:02
Well my TRP could use a flat and probably my Champion Operator too. Im just not 100% sure if i want to keep the CO. Right now the CO is out of commission anyway because i broke a grip screw head off and needed to change the grip bushing, but the bushing's keep stripping out because the threads need cleaned up but the machine shop by our place and no gunsmith that i know has the tap to clean it up :( Well shoot me a PM with whatever is best for you. I still need to order the 10-8 though unless you have any sitting around you would want to sell me.

bac1023
10-15-2010, 21:02
For a real challenge, you should detail strip all of them and randomly put all of the parts in a big pile, mix them all up and try to reassemble.

Just a thought. ;)

deadite

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quack
10-15-2010, 21:13
Well my TRP could use a flat and probably my Champion Operator too. Im just not 100% sure if i want to keep the CO. Right now the CO is out of commission anyway because i broke a grip screw head off and needed to change the grip bushing, but the bushing's keep stripping out because the threads need cleaned up but the machine shop by our place and no gunsmith that i know has the tap to clean it up :( Well shoot me a PM with whatever is best for you. I still need to order the 10-8 though unless you have any sitting around you would want to sell me.

i don't have any sitting around, but i would recommend the Wilson flat trigger because it's less work to fit. The 10-8 would more than likely need some filing done to the sear feet to get the right amount of take-up. This isn't a problem, except if too much material needs to be taken off.

I also see that your shop is a Class 3 and i'm planning on a few suppressors :)

rsxr22
10-15-2010, 21:15
sounds good then!! Were premier dealers with Wilson so on top of getting the stuff dirt cheap, i can get them quick as well!!!

bluelineman
10-15-2010, 23:10

...or at least half. ;)

It might take you most of the winter to FIELD strip them, much less detail strip them. Unless you take a few weeks vacation from work. :supergrin:

okie
10-16-2010, 00:54
I take it out the box, shoot the **** out of it, take it home and clean the **** out of it:supergrin:

kirgi08
10-16-2010, 01:29
Hope the wife don't look in the safe.'08. :whistling:

woodrowNC
10-16-2010, 07:10
detail strip it, looking for burrs to stone. yall seem to mostly buy high end pistols so thats probably not an an issue for you. clean it good with hoppes, love hoppes (wish they made cologne), oil everything up,grease the rails and i'm good to go. miltech is good stuff. i work at cherry point marine corp air station, and miltech has a naval stock no., but it's not available at cherry point. closest is camp lejuene. has anyone tried gunbutter?

.45Super-Man
10-16-2010, 07:46
I always detail strip the slide and flush out the channels on a new one, but dont worry about the frame til after the first several outings.

tx787
10-16-2010, 09:39
When I got my first 1911 I was so excited that I asked the salesman to clean and lube it for me so I could go shoot it at their indoor range, he took the slide off without removing the bushing and barrel but it ran 100%, made me a Kimber fan.

Quack
10-16-2010, 09:47
he took the slide off without removing the bushing and barrel but it ran 100%,

you can do that with any 1911. that's how i do it with my Custom Shop guns.

rsxr22
10-16-2010, 11:28
When I got my first 1911 I was so excited that I asked the salesman to clean and lube it for me so I could go shoot it at their indoor range, he took the slide off without removing the bushing and barrel but it ran 100%, made me a Kimber fan.

I do the same with my TRP because it has a custom fitted bushing and doesnt turn very easily. If you do, just remember to put your hand over the recoil spring when removing the slide from frame or stuff is gonna go flying

drc767
10-16-2010, 12:36
If you do, just remember to put your hand over the recoil spring when removing the slide from frame or stuff is gonna go flying

.....and wear some eye protection in case they do.