Letting em Walk [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Letting em Walk

CC Glock
10-15-2010, 19:25
I let alot of does and small bucks walk this afternoon. Already taken one doe on opening day. Wont take another till that "Right" buck walks out. Its hard to let them go by though. lol

Dalton Wayne
10-15-2010, 19:34
Horns never meant crap to me I was hunting for meat on the table and we ate well.
Regards
DW

CC Glock
10-15-2010, 20:44
Yepp i know what you mean but i have plenty of meat so I'm looking for that big wall-hanger. :embarassed:

BK63
10-16-2010, 06:55
Horns never meant crap to me I was hunting for meat on the table and we ate well.
Regards
DW

This is what I always tell people. In my years of hunting I've only seen one monster buck a long way off too early in the morning to shoot. I'm always at the tag station with a doe while every other truck there has bucks. I don't know why but they don't seem to walk by me. You can't eat the horns anyway :supergrin:

vafish
10-16-2010, 08:33
Depends upon where I'm hunting.

One property has a damage control permit, I shoot anything that walks past me there, even if it has spots on it.

Another property they do QDM, Bucks have to be 8 points or bigger, can shoot as many does as you want. I usually shoot does and they love me.

Couple other places are small and the neighbors shoot about anything that walks, depends upon how many deer I have in the freezer already, lots of times I'll let the little ones go by hoping they will get bigger.

K.Kiser
10-16-2010, 09:07
I definitely believe in management for overall quality of the animal and their population numbers for future generations... Most of the deer leases that we've had much part of implemented a 6/12 rule, meaning it had to have at least 6 points and a 12" spread... We were allowed 1 of those and 1 doe per season... This was usually the case after a land had been over "rednecked" for awhile and needed healing... After a several years the quality of hunting would get noticeably better and would ever so often allow an extra buck and an extra doe to be taken...

CC Glock
10-17-2010, 11:49
I wish i had some friends to go in with me on some land. I would love to implement QDM and grow some big bucks. I kinda spoiled where i hunt though, its in the middle of town so it can only be bow hunted. I have NEVER been and not seen deer. I seen three monsters last year and killed one and have no reason to believe anyone has killed the other three so im really pumped about this year.

sourdough44
10-24-2010, 11:29
It depends on where I'm hunting. I bet you meat hunters would love an opportunity at a monster buck. It's just that in many areas they can be very rare. I've been going anterless or big buck the last few years. That's also usually on a buddies QDM land.

GeorgiaGlockMan
10-27-2010, 23:06
CC Glock - be patient your day is coming. I can feel it.

. . . and thanks for the other comment. I am proud of that one. I've been eyeing him and his twin for years now. It does pay to let them walk.

Good Luck!