The "ultimate" 9mm round is... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The "ultimate" 9mm round is...

Tilley
10-15-2010, 20:25
Federal HST 147grain in a +P load!!!

I just bought a box 50 for $25 at "Ammo to Go." I am a huge fan of the 147 grainer's, but I had no idea they came in a +P venue. Size with some additional speed...:cool:

Has anyone ever tried/owned/shot/tested this particular round yet, or is this something new?

rgregoryb
10-15-2010, 20:28
I thought it was a 12ga slug

JBP55
10-15-2010, 20:30
I thought it was a .357 Sig.

JBP55
10-15-2010, 20:32

I just bought a box 50 for $25 at "Ammo to Go." I am a huge fan of the 147 grainer's, but I had no idea they came in a +P venue. Size with some additional speed...:cool:

Has anyone ever tried/owned/shot/tested this particular round yet, or is this something new?

I have owned and fired quite a few 124+P HST and 147+P HST. They work great in my Glocks and are quite accurate.

zigzagg321
10-15-2010, 20:34
I bought a box of this ammo that ill be picking up tomorrow in fact...Im excited to feel in in my 26.

sciolist
10-15-2010, 20:43
Wtlw.

unit1069
10-15-2010, 21:08
I thought it was a .357 Sig.

Well, yeah, but the OP was talking about the 9X19 9mm Luger.

I think the "ultimate" round for any weapon is the one that is most reliable, accurate, and exhibits the best shooting characteristics.

That said, right now my carry round for my Glock G-32 is ... Federal 125-grain HST.

JimBianchi
10-15-2010, 21:13
On paper it is some version of 115 +p+ or 127 +p+

But I think in reality they are all very close.

Pick one with a good track record and is 100% reliable is you carry gun.

I carry HST 147 in both my 9's.

The Retired Sarge
10-15-2010, 22:49
Concerning the Federal 9mm 147gr HST +P, it is an intriguing concept but I have not been able to find any credible testing of this round in properly calibrated ballistic gelatin. This included an inquiry with the manufacturer. Sheer velocity is sometimes not the end all and pushing a bullet too fast can cause over expansion and under penetration. The standard pressure HST 9mm 147gr works extremely well as designed. Before I buy or carry the +P version I want to see its performance in proper testing. Bill

BOGE
10-16-2010, 00:09
Concerning the Federal 9mm 147gr HST +P, it is an intriguing concept but I have not been able to find any credible testing of this round in properly calibrated ballistic gelatin. This included an inquiry with the manufacturer. Sheer velocity is sometimes not the end all and pushing a bullet too fast can cause over expansion and under penetration. The standard pressure HST 9mm 147gr works extremely well as designed. Before I buy or carry the +P version I want to see its performance in proper testing. Bill

Hey!! This is Glock Talk!! Don`t you know that people carry ammo that just plain looks cool or because Yogi Bear said it was good!!?? Never mind that they have never read of CREDIBLE REAL WORLD shootings with their given round!!

Bottom line: HST appears to be a wonderful round but until enough street results are in I`ll stick with proven stoppers like BPLE. Only an fool would trust their life to a round that has no street cred for daily CCW.

mastrbloata
10-16-2010, 06:03
Well, that didn't last long. That's to be expected though. I'd like to test this stuff in my SR9-c.

ABNAK
10-16-2010, 08:29

Averaged 1027fps from my Glock 19.

*May* be the best of both worlds: expansion with enough weight for decent penetration, something the 147gr'ers didn't used to be known for.

ABNAK
10-16-2010, 08:32
I`ll stick with proven stoppers like BPLE.

Bought two boxes of that also with my last 147gr HST +P purchase. Just to "have". :whistling:

Oh, by the time the HST has the record of the BPLE we'll all be dead or in nursing homes! Hell, that thing's been around since the 70's, right?

Zombie Steve
10-16-2010, 10:16
I thought it was a .357 Magnum.

Fixed...

ColCol
10-16-2010, 12:49
RA9TA or 9BPLE for me.

93GT
10-16-2010, 13:23
Still pretty happy with the 127 gr +P+ Ranger stuff, but YMMV.

cowboy1964
10-16-2010, 13:38
Averaged 1027fps from my Glock 19.

*May* be the best of both worlds: expansion with enough weight for decent penetration, something the 147gr'ers didn't used to be known for.

All recent good 147s expand and penetrate slightly more than their lighter counterparts. Take a look at the HST datasheet.

20-40 more fps probably isn't going to make a measurable difference in the results.

cowboy1964
10-16-2010, 13:39

I like the Ranger 127 +P+ too but am concerned about glass performance. It is not good compared to a bonded bullet. Something like 9" of penetration and 58% weight retention. Which means you have only a 73gr bullet going in 9". That's not even .380ACP performance.

I still like Gold Dot 124+P the best for overall performance.

John Biltz
10-16-2010, 14:34
I have to say how a round does against glass is pretty unimportant to me. I can't think when I would be shooting into it. I'm pretty happy with 125 +p gold dots.

Brian Lee
10-16-2010, 15:07
It's the 9x25 Dillon - with whatever bullet you want to throw.

Buy a G20 guys.....

dkf
10-16-2010, 15:20
That said, right now my carry round for my Glock G-32 is ... Federal 125-grain HST.

Where did you buy those?

glocknbruce
10-16-2010, 15:24
for me the ultimate 9mm is the Ranger 127 +p+, works great in my G26

packinaglock
10-16-2010, 17:41

Same here.

happyguy
10-16-2010, 17:56
I am satisfied with the performance of my Federal Tactical Bonded 135 grain +p...in jello anyway. I haven't shot anyone with it yet though. :tongueout:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Dogguy
10-16-2010, 18:23

Whatever turns your crank. Personally, I'm not a fan. I sold my last two boxes to a friend who also thought the 147 gr. was the "ultimate".

Merkavaboy
10-16-2010, 21:09
For me, my "ultimate" 9mm SD load gors to the Federal 115JHP+P+ 9BPLE.
In FMJ, I'll go with Hirtenberger 124FMJ L7A1.

unit1069
10-17-2010, 07:32
Where did you buy those (Federal 125-grain HST .357sig?)

From ammunitiontogo.com.

I saw them available and jumped on it. You have to look around on the internet ammo dealer sites and grab whatever ammo becomes available at a decent price, otherwise it's gone and you won't know when it will be available again.

mastrbloata
10-17-2010, 08:04
From ammunitiontogo.com.

I saw them available and jumped on it. You have to look around on the internet ammo dealer sites and grab whatever ammo becomes available at a decent price, otherwise it's gone and you won't know when it will be available again. No more true words stated here than that. I began figuring that out when some stuff actually began coming back on-line after the ammo obamalypse. I'd say, "Well, it's back. Next week I'll check back and get some...." Wrong. And to an extent, that's still the way it is. Now when I see it and I know I should have it, I grab it.- I like the fact that SG ammo keeps a running tally right next to the ammo telling you how many boxes they have in stock.

BOGE
10-17-2010, 08:56
...after the ammo obamalypse...

:rofl::rofl:

93GT
10-17-2010, 11:19
I like the Ranger 127 +P+ too but am concerned about glass performance. It is not good compared to a bonded bullet. Something like 9" of penetration and 58% weight retention. Which means you have only a 73gr bullet going in 9". That's not even .380ACP performance.

I still like Gold Dot 124+P the best for overall performance.

I am not as concerned with barrier penetration or I would have stayed with the 357 Sig for self defense and gone with a bonded hollowpoint. I guess I will just remember that the next time I have to use my 34 to stop a mad man in a vehicle, that I need to shoot more than once.

unit1069
10-17-2010, 11:25
No more true words stated here than that. I began figuring that out when some stuff actually began coming back on-line after the ammo obamalypse. I'd say, "Well, it's back. Next week I'll check back and get some...." Wrong. And to an extent, that's still the way it is. Now when I see it and I know I should have it, I grab it.- I like the fact that SG ammo keeps a running tally right next to the ammo telling you how many boxes they have in stock.

How is SG on shipping charges?

unit1069
10-17-2010, 11:36
I am not as concerned with barrier penetration or I would have stayed with the 357 Sig for self defense and gone with a bonded hollowpoint. I guess I will just remember that the next time I have to use my 34 to stop a mad man in a vehicle, that I need to shoot more than once.

Although I don't presently carry a bonded ammo in my "good" 9mm pistol I like the idea of bonded bullets. If I can ever manage to find some Golden Saber bonded in the weight I prefer there's no doubt I'd switch to that round from the non-bonded GS I currently carry --- as long as the shooting characteristics remain the same.

I live in one of the great "red" states where a resident doesn't have to wait until an intruder breaks into the premises. If there is a reasonable deadly threat our citizens are permitted to shoot through doors and in the event I might have the 9mm pistol handy at the time that should occur I think bonded rounds are definitely preferable to non-bonded. Like you, I doubt I'll have occasion to shoot through windshields, but who really knows when and where a deadly threat will come from? It's not like there's a bell that goes off with a recorded announcement, "Warning; deadly threat about to transpire"!

Gold Dots are a definite addition to my "to buy" list also. I mentioned the HST I carry in the .357sig but the second magazine is loaded with Double Tap 147-grain Gold Dots. I don't believe I've ever read a negative comment or article about Gold Dot ammo or the bullet itself.

cowboy1964
10-17-2010, 12:20

Hopefully you'll have the time and oppurtunity to get off more than one! In our CCW class several cases were presented of car jack/assault situations where the driver had to fire out. One was even here locally. So maybe I'm a bit more concerned about glass shootthroughs than average.

Anyway, bones are barriers too!

Dreamaster
10-17-2010, 14:27
It's my wife's carry round... it's accurate and controllable, has the most expansion/penetration combo. There used to be a site that compared the 147 to the 147+P in HST in real gel, the +P version netted 1" deeper penetration, but gave up a hair of expansion (actually it overexpanded a tad).

It's a good round.

dkf
10-17-2010, 15:45
From ammunitiontogo.com.

I saw them available and jumped on it. You have to look around on the internet ammo dealer sites and grab whatever ammo becomes available at a decent price, otherwise it's gone and you won't know when it will be available again.

:thumbsup:

93GT
10-17-2010, 20:50
Although I don't presently carry a bonded ammo in my "good" 9mm pistol I like the idea of bonded bullets. If I can ever manage to find some Golden Saber bonded in the weight I prefer there's no doubt I'd switch to that round from the non-bonded GS I currently carry --- as long as the shooting characteristics remain the same.

I live in one of the great "red" states where a resident doesn't have to wait until an intruder breaks into the premises. If there is a reasonable deadly threat our citizens are permitted to shoot through doors and in the event I might have the 9mm pistol handy at the time that should occur I think bonded rounds are definitely preferable to non-bonded. Like you, I doubt I'll have occasion to shoot through windshields, but who really knows when and where a deadly threat will come from? It's not like there's a bell that goes off with a recorded announcement, "Warning; deadly threat about to transpire"!

Gold Dots are a definite addition to my "to buy" list also. I mentioned the HST I carry in the .357sig but the second magazine is loaded with Double Tap 147-grain Gold Dots. I don't believe I've ever read a negative comment or article about Gold Dot ammo or the bullet itself.

I have switched back to 9mm from 357 Sig and 45 ACP. Without starting a caliber war, I like to see and hear after being forced to discharge a firearm inside of the house or car.
Hopefully you'll have the time and oppurtunity to get off more than one! In our CCW class several cases were presented of car jack/assault situations where the driver had to fire out. One was even here locally. So maybe I'm a bit more concerned about glass shootthroughs than average.

Anyway, bones are barriers too!

I am that guy who believes that ammo is relatively cheap and I always carry more than I need. If I have the need to pop someone through my passenger side window, I am going to be trying to explain the cop why I shot him 10 times before he hit the dropped out of sight. In ten years of carrying the only time I almost needed it, happened to be an attempted car jacking at a stop light. You have a valid point, I am just not as concerned about it as you. If I was a a police officer, bonded would be without a doubt my choice based on the type of threat and likelyhood of needing to shoot through a car door or windshield. In the military I get NATO ball so penetration is the least of my worries.

1Sg (Ret)
10-22-2010, 20:17
+1 ranger 127+p+