Most Reliable Laptop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Most Reliable Laptop?

Powder
10-16-2010, 07:07
What say you? I'll be buying next week and really want reliability and no breakdowns. Any brands to avoid? Oh yeah, no Apple stuff.

filthy infidel
10-16-2010, 07:21
DO NOT buy an HP. Dell makes a good machine, as does IBM and Lenovo. I have had very good luck with my two Gateway units. My 'work' laptop lives in a backpack and has been on hundreds of service calls in it's eight years. It still works like new.

Slug71
10-16-2010, 15:32
Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo and Acer.

NO, HP,Compaq. and i wouldnt even get Dell.

JFrame
10-16-2010, 19:19
Based on a blown network card and power supply on an HP desktop in a relatively short time, I would have to concur with the assessment of HP.

My Lenovo X200 Tablet has been a tank going on 2 years now. I have a Toshiba Tecra that has been running for about eight years with the replacement of a hard drive and fan (typical wear parts). I had a Toshiba Portege that survived a 3 1/2 foot fall from a table, and except for some scrambled drive sectors, never missed a beat. I have another Portege that is my travel machine and doesn't get used that much, but seems up to snuff quality-wise on all of its sub-components.

Just some reflections on personally owned machines...

wrenrj1
10-16-2010, 19:31
Also consider what you are using it for, how mobile or rough you tend to be on a laptop. My wife and I bought $499 Dells from BB a few years ago, my HD went out, not expensive to replace, but for a novice that i was at that time, i spent more than I should have to diagnose/repair it, but it was a learning experience at how easy it is to swap out a HD (also, KEEP ALL OF THOSE DISKS THAT COME WITH YOUR LAPTOP!!!).

At work we went with Panasonic toughbooks (a few years ago) which were good, however they were not supported by our state IT dept. and parts took time to receive. We went with Dell ruggedized laptops that we currently have and they have been flawless for the last two years (only problem is the State image on them) and they are quick to get them up and running if need be (however there have been zero problems with hardware)

It's a crap shoot with computers in general. Take a look at consumer reports etc. to find ratings on repair histories. IMHO, it's how easy they are to diagnose and repair that's key.

JFrame
10-16-2010, 19:38
Also consider what you are using it for, how mobile or rough you tend to be on a laptop. My wife and I bought $499 Dells from BB a few years ago, my HD went out, not expensive to replace, but for a novice that i was at that time, i spent more than I should have to diagnose/repair it, but it was a learning experience at how easy it is to swap out a HD (also, KEEP ALL OF THOSE DISKS THAT COME WITH YOUR LAPTOP!!!).

At work we went with Panasonic toughbooks (a few years ago) which were good, however they were not supported by our state IT dept. and parts took time to receive. We went with Dell ruggedized laptops that we currently have and they have been flawless for the last two years (only problem is the State image on them) and they are quick to get them up and running if need be (however there have been zero problems with hardware)

It's a crap shoot with computers in general. Take a look at consumer reports etc. to find ratings on repair histories. IMHO, it's how easy they are to diagnose and repair that's key.

Re: the bolded portion -- that's a good point in particular.

My sense is that machines built for the enterprise/business market are, in general, easier to work on than laptops of the same make built for the consumer market, which tend to have more tightly integrated technology (in order to sell the "latest and greatest" feature set).

Ergo, the laptops built for the, e.g., Lenovo and Toshiba business lines tend to have hard drives and fans that are more readily accessible and/or removable, more easily upgradeable memory, etc. I'm sure this is not universal by any means, but it's a tendency to consider.

Linux3
10-16-2010, 20:23
My first laptop was a Thinkpad 760 EL. I forget when, some time in the middle 90's.
I have been given many, many laptops by my company and have ordered and or spec'd out many more.

When I finally bought a laptop of my own, that is spent my real money, I went to Lenovo.com and bought a Condition: NEW Thinkpad T series from their Outlet.
Lenovo makes a lot of laptops but the Thinpad T is best. Very solid and long lasting. Not the fastest but the most dependable. I didn't care that I bought last year's model. lol

Dell, the Latitude is a solid choice, then the Vostro and lastly the Inspiron. Studio and Adamo are about like the Inspiron. For my job we buy Dell servers by the pallet load and our factory reps buy Latitudes personally.

In my experience Acer is crap.
HP.... Nothing good or bad.

Take a look at Lenovo and Dell outlet sites and look at the NEW systems if you don't really care if you have state of the art.

robin303
10-16-2010, 20:33
I bought the Dell Inspiron about a yr ago online. Told them to put XP on it and I got it in about a week. I deleted all that stuff like Norton and all that and put on AVG and Spybot and never had a problem with it.
Funny is I live 9 miles from the Dell plant and had to talk to the salesman in the Phillipines.

SuHu
10-16-2010, 20:41
IBM Thinkpads, unless you want to get into Toughbook territory.

stopatrain
10-16-2010, 20:51
I've had good luck with Toshiba.

deeHKman
10-16-2010, 21:00
Dell.....

NDCent
10-16-2010, 21:03
Can't hardly beat an IBM/Lenovo, except maybe in price. My second choice would be Toshiba.

JK-linux
10-16-2010, 21:31
I agree with others that laptops, in general, are a crap shoot for the most part. QC seems to have declined in proportion to price. For business use I have had better luck with Lenovo than most. Most of the Dell's I've used for work in the past decade haven't lived through their 2 year replacement cycle and have had to be replaced or exchanged at some point. I've had Lenovo laptops crap out, but the two that did were field replaceable issues.

tnhawk
10-16-2010, 22:28
The last 3 I've had were HP and ran without any problems for several years each

Morgo
10-17-2010, 04:05
Toshiba, thats all I buy.

I know where there is an old Toshiba, probably 13-15 years old, that has a 120mhz chip :shocked: plug in the power and it boots up fine, everything still works.

I have family and friends who have gone through other brands and I've watched them fall part.

Other brands of note that I've seen last would be Sony and also Panasonic's rugged versions.

handyman
10-17-2010, 11:20
Have a sony and very happy.

solomansousana
10-17-2010, 12:00
Toshiba, thats all I buy.

I know where there is an old Toshiba, probably 13-15 years old, that has a 120mhz chip :shocked: plug in the power and it boots up fine, everything still works.

I have family and friends who have gone through other brands and I've watched them fall part.

Other brands of note that I've seen last would be Sony and also Panasonic's rugged versions.

Toshiba's are great. I have a Toshiba Celeron M from back in Dec 2007 that still looks and runs as if it's new although my wife and I each purchased Dell Latitude E6510's with Intel i5-450 processors. These are made with aluminum chasis not the plastic ones, and the internals are easier to access. Our personal laptops are Dell Studio XPS's with Intel i7 processors and they are just great machines.

zackwatt
10-17-2010, 13:27
Thinkpad. Thinkpad. Thinkpad.

G33
10-17-2010, 13:35
Thinkpads...still have three.
One is really patched up as some of you know.
:supergrin::wavey:

Note: my lappy is used in the field for digs or crime scenes.
They run off my pick-up trucks or field generators.
They get dust, rain and bumps everyday.
As new ones were added, the older one would move to back up place.
Ergo, three at the moment.
Yes, everything is backed up on three external drives.
And two spare laptop drives are ready to slide in...

Burwick
10-17-2010, 13:41
Alienware =)

zackwatt
10-17-2010, 14:17
Alienware =)

Not anymore...Dell owns them now.

Ralff
10-17-2010, 14:25
I've heard great things about Toshiba and Lenovo. However, my wife has a HP and it's been great.

Powder
10-17-2010, 15:42
I found a nice looking Toshiba with the "AMD Phenom II Quad-Core Mobile Processor P940 1.7 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache" processor. Any reason to stay away from AMD?

The laptop model is a665d-s6096. The specs seem good and the price is right from Amazon.

filthy infidel
10-17-2010, 15:55
Not anymore...Dell owns them now.

We had a $3k Alienware in two weeks ago, dead mobo, one year old. I'd be hard pressed to spend that $ on a pc. Nice paperweight though.

SuHu
10-17-2010, 15:59
Alienware laptops had problems with overheating even before Dell owned them. Big disappointment for one of my buddies.

solomansousana
10-17-2010, 16:06
I found a nice looking Toshiba with the "AMD Phenom II Quad-Core Mobile Processor P940 1.7 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache" processor. Any reason to stay away from AMD?

The laptop model is a665d-s6096. The specs seem good and the price is right from Amazon.

Years back AMD had issues with heat, but I don't know if they've addressed that issue adequately as yet. I've also heard they did have some issues with certain software.

With that said, when I finished my masters in nursing, the school had outfitted each student lab with dell desktops with amd's and they were on almost all day long mon-fri without too many issues.