Wilson Trimmer help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Trimmer help

ah141nj
10-16-2010, 21:35
Hello All,

I need some pointers on using the Wilson trimmer. Every time I trim, I cannot get consistant lengths. Actually they are always too short. My 223 brass ends up being 1.740 - 1.748.
I have adjusted the threaded stop endlessly. Always have used the shark fin attachment.

1 or 2 light turns, not short enough, too many turns too short.

Any advice or tips. Tired of ruining brass

dudel
10-17-2010, 05:11
Hello All,

I need some pointers on using the Wilson trimmer. Every time I trim, I cannot get consistant lengths. Actually they are always too short. My 223 brass ends up being 1.740 - 1.748.
I have adjusted the threaded stop endlessly. Always have used the shark fin attachment.

Any advice or tips. Tired of ruining brass

Just trimmed several hundred on the Wilson yesterday. Let's see.

1) the set screw should be tight (not gorilla tight), just enough to keep the adjuster from turning when trimming
2) press the handle in very firmly. You want to trim till you see no more shavings from the brass mouth. You want to make sure the crank handle bottoms out against the long cylinder. If you go soft, you won't get consistent depth. Fast or slow turns won't matter; making sure the crank seats against the cylinder will.
3) make sure the screws on the underside are tight (almost gorilla tight). If these are loose, you get play on both ends which will give you inconsistent results.

4) I've found it easiest to start long, trim, measure and adust inward a 1/4 turn as needed.

HTH

sdelam
10-17-2010, 07:05
I've never used a wilson, but if its like the RCBS trimmer, you have to push in firmly to get consistant lengths. As stated above if you set it up pushing lightly, then push firm they will be shorter. Much easier to go firm from the start.

Oh and if you are loading for an AR, dont worry about that short brass. F-C brass starts out that short from the get go. I like picking up F-C brass because I know I wont have to trim them.

banjobob
10-17-2010, 07:38
Hello All,

It sounds like your lengths are inconsistent, this is not a problem solved by adjusting the thread stop endlessly. Also if you using it properly it should not matter if you turn it a million times it should have no impact on making them too short.

Use crap brass, adjust the stop so that the brass just barely touches the cutter when the shell is firmly against the stop and the cutter/ crank is full seated against its stop.

Turn the handle while maintaining constant contact between the brass and the stop, only the cutter should move left and right. You know you're done when the cutter's stop is preventing the cutter from going any deeper, there is no more brass being cut and you feel no resistance when turning the handle. At this point you can turn the handle a million times and no more brass will be removed and they length will be the same no matter how many times you turn the handle.

Measure the brass and make any adjustments to length necessary.

I think your mistake is trying to control the length by the amount of turns when it is really controlled by the threaded stop and the cutter when the cutter is fully against its stop.

Don't be discouraged, the wilson is best/most accurate trimmer I'm aware of. It does take some practice to get used to, occasionally the best of screw up a piece of brass now and then. I will trim to 0.001 consistantly all day long and with practice can do even better.

They also last forever. Mine is a hand me down from my dad who bought it in the mid '70's.

Only down side is volume. If you're trimming for a precision rifle then great choice, if you're trimming for AR15 it will be very slow and probably attain an accuracy you do not need.

If you have any more probs PM me and Ill try to help more.

banjobob
10-17-2010, 08:04
Hello All,

It sounds like your lengths are inconsistent, this is not a problem solved by adjusting the thread stop endlessly. Also if you using it properly it should not matter if you turn it a million times it should have no impact on making them too short.

Use crap brass, adjust the stop so that the brass just barely touches the cutter when the shell is firmly against the stop and the cutter/ crank is full seated against its stop.

Turn the handle while maintaining constant contact between the brass and the stop, only the cutter should move left and right. You know you're done when the cutter's stop is preventing the cutter from going any deeper, there is no more brass being cut and you feel no resistance when turning the handle. At this point you can turn the handle a million times and no more brass will be removed and they length will be the same no matter how many times you turn the handle.

Measure the brass and make any adjustments to length necessary.

I think your mistake is trying to control the length by the amount of turns when it is really controlled by the threaded stop and the cutter when the cutter is fully against its stop.

Don't be discouraged, the wilson is best/most accurate trimmer I'm aware of. It does take some practice to get used to, occasionally the best of screw up a piece of brass now and then. I will trim to 0.001 consistantly all day long and with practice can do even better.

They also last forever. Mine is a hand me down from my dad who bought it in the mid '70's.

Only down side is volume. If you're trimming for a precision rifle then great choice, if you're trimming for AR15 it will be very slow and probably attain an accuracy you do not need.

If you have any more probs PM me and Ill try to help more.

ah141nj
10-24-2010, 09:29
thanks for the tips guys.

i'll give em all a try & practice with it.