Tell me about the Baer 1.5" option. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Baer 1.5" option.

Blaster
10-17-2010, 10:52
Is the gun built for the 1.5" option from the ground up? Or are the best guns culled from the production and offered for a premium?

Might you expect less reliability from a 1.5" gun? Meaning, are they built too tight for carry or defensive use?

This question is slightly off the title topic but I can tie it in. I have a friend who tells me that the steel used in Baer guns too soft. He sights that Baer guns loosen too quickly when used. I noted someone here saying about their new 1.5" TRS:

I have shot 200 flawless rounds through it. As expected with a new Baer, it was very tight. It is smoothing in nicely even with only 200 rounds.

Baer steel just as good as any other 1911, what say you?

Quack
10-17-2010, 11:06
built from the ground up to be a 1.5" gun.

bac1023
10-17-2010, 11:32
Its built that way, not just a "pick of the litter".

On carbon steel guns can be done, not stainless.

Rinspeed
10-17-2010, 18:18
Your friend is a moron. :upeyes: Les Baer has been making his own slides and frames, in Allentown PA, longer than any of the other semi-custom builders. Go to the Brian Enos forum and do a search for Baer 1911s and you can find some that have 40,000-50,000 or more rounds through them. They are still tighter than most 1911s that have 2,000 rounds through them.

When Baers are new most of the tightness comes from the bushing to barrel fitting and not the slide to frame. Every time you shoot them the just keep getting smoother and smoother. When mine was new I did hand cycle it some to help polish the parts but that not quite as much fun as shooting them.

MD357
10-17-2010, 18:28
Is the gun built for the 1.5" option from the ground up? Or are the best guns culled from the production and offered for a premium?

Nobody seems to be able to prove either. If you go on 1911forum you can find all sorts of arguments either way.

I will say this, unless you are touched by god you won't be about to take advantage of the difference between a stock Baer and a 1.5in gun.

Baer himself does not recommend the 1.5 option for duty or carry, if that tells you anything. Also, John @ Proload, whom is one of the biggest if not THE biggest Baer dealers out there, says it's a waste of money. However, if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.....

MD357
10-17-2010, 18:29
. They are still tighter than most 1911s that have 2,000 rounds through them.

This. I have well over 2K through mine and it's nowhere close to being able to be stripped by hand.

bac1023
10-17-2010, 19:11
This. I have well over 2K through mine and it's nowhere close to being able to be stripped by hand.

God no.

My Concept V has about 2-3000 rounds through it from me and I bought that one used, so I have no idea how many rounds total have been fired. I still can't move the bushing by hand.

HAIL CAESAR
10-17-2010, 20:43
1. Your friend is a moron.:rofl:

2. Have no idea if they are built that way, or are "just the really accurate ones".

3. They seem to be reliable as the rest...but even Les himself does not recommend 1.5's to be used by Police as they are too tight and can have reliability issues. (Hummm....we call that a C-L-U-E.)

4. It takes about 10k rounds to seem to smooth things out.

5. The 1.5 is for strictly bragging rights unless you are an Olympic class shooter.

6. That level of tightness is just silly, and just for bragging rights, unless you have an extraordinary needs...like you are an Olympic level shooter.

7. Most Baer 3.0 guns really shoot down in the 1.8's anyway, and the 1.5 really only shoot in the 1.2's to 1.3's. So you are not gaining much.

Baer's are fine pistols. A bit toooo tight...but really good guns.

Blaster
10-17-2010, 21:03
I will say this, unless you are touched by god you won't be about to take advantage of the difference between a stock Baer and a 1.5in gun.

Yup, that I fully understand.

I was merely trying to get a full understanding of what the 1.5" option is all about. I was trying to figure out if it in some way other than accuracy the option makes the gun better.

Thanks guys.

38 Super Fan
10-17-2010, 21:04
I thought the guys at Baer selected certain guns that already shot well, then further fine tuned those guns to shoot 1.5". But I think I read that on a forum somewhere so....:dunno:

HAIL CAESAR
10-17-2010, 21:29
I thought the guys at Baer selected certain guns that already shot well, then further fine tuned those guns to shoot 1.5". But I think I read that on a forum somewhere so....:dunno:

Hell.....who knows??????:rofl:

I'm still locked up on the big mystery of "are Kimber frames are now cast?".:rofl:

luv2spd
10-17-2010, 22:37
They are built from the ground up as 1.5" guns. John at Pro Load confirmed this when I asked him when I placed my order. He also said that they receive an extra 5 hours of fitting. I received the following email from Brenda at LBC when I asked the same question:

To achieve the 1 1/2" group accuracy the gun is fit tighter, it is in the slide to frame fit, barrel, link, lug and bushing fit, they are all fit tighter. There is no reliabilty issue with the 1 1/2" accuracy package, but usually if it is carry gun most customers do not get this option, this is usually ordered if it is a competition gun.

bac1023
10-18-2010, 04:18
I'm still locked up on the big mystery of "are Kimber frames are now cast?".:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

Hokie1911
10-18-2010, 06:50
They are built from the ground up as 1.5" guns. John at Pro Load confirmed this when I asked him when I placed my order. He also said that they receive an extra 5 hours of tightening.

There. Fixed it for you. :supergrin:

PlasticGuy
10-18-2010, 07:59
I have a Premier II with the 1.5" option, and a Thunder Ranch Special without it. I also had a Concept VII without it. I can say for certain that the 1.5" option makes for a tighter fit, and I can also say that reliability is not compromised.

However, I agree with Les Baer when he recommends against it for a carry gun. The tighter fit makes it more difficult when doing malfunction clearance drills and other gun handling, and it adds no significant performance advantage for anything other than high level competition.

As far as durability, I've got several thousand rounds through my Premier II and it still has a little "pop" when the barrel snaps up into battery. Slide to frame fit is just as tight as the day I pulled it out of the box (and a beautiful cardboard box it was). You'd need a lot of time and a huge ammo budget to put any significant wear on a Baer 1911.

Chevy327
10-18-2010, 08:19
Speaking of...

I'm planning to post this SRP w/1.5 option on the Firearms Listings soon.

The owner is recovering from a serious illness and is selling this and a Premier II.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Professional1911/Browning%20A-5%20Light%2012/DSC00526.jpg

It's said to have about 250 rounds fired. It's really nice. I have more pictures for anyone interested. He's asking $2000, but I think he might work with someone a little.

Tactical black
10-18-2010, 11:52
Speaking of...

I'm planning to post this SRP w/1.5 option on the Firearms Listings soon.

The owner is recovering from a serious illness and is selling this and a Premier II.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Professional1911/Browning%20A-5%20Light%2012/DSC00526.jpg

It's said to have about 250 rounds fired. It's really nice. I have more pictures for anyone interested. He's asking $2000, but I think he might work with someone a little.

$2000 is a great price for that you shouldn't have to much trouble selling it.

bladeandbarrel
10-18-2010, 13:06
Interesting thing about the 1.5" guarantee is that in order to build guns make that kind of claim you must test the barrel first. My guess on how LBC does this is to fixture test all their barrels prior to fitting. By doing this they cull the bad and separate the exceptional. They then take the exceptional ones and build 1.5" guarantee guns. Well worth the money I think. 15 years ago I had a 1.5" gun that was reliable and accurate. The plethora of unbearable sharp edges and cheapo cast parts (Wiggly ambi, purple toned parts and 2 broken extractor hooks and a firing pin stop) educated me on that fact that other things are more important to me than extreme tightness and a tiny (but impressive nonetheless) 50 yard test target.

ShakyDave
10-18-2010, 14:26
He's asking $2000, but I think he might work with someone a little.

Couple of months ago I bought a new P2 with the 1.5 guarantee from John for several hundred less than that, if that helps with the pricing.

Carrots
10-18-2010, 14:35
Couple of months ago I bought a new P2 with the 1.5 guarantee from John for several hundred less than that, if that helps with the pricing.

Look at the MSRP of these guns. The PII is entry level, the SRP is the flagship.

ShakyDave
10-18-2010, 14:58
As far as the 1.5 guarantee affecting reliability, I now have 2,600 rounds through my P2 without ONE SINGLE malfunction. As far as reliability goes, it's left my Kimbers and Colts behind in a cloud of dust. BUT I wouldn't carry this gun for the simple reason that still, after 2,600 rounds, even racking the slide is an effort because the bushing is so tight around the barrel. I doubt that this gun will ever be clearable or cockable with one hand in an emergency.

Also, this is a competition gun, not a carry piece. For the latter, the 1.5 guarantee would be unnecessary and the money would be better spent on ammo.

ShakyDave
10-18-2010, 15:01
Look at the MSRP of these guns. The PII is entry level, the SRP is the flagship.

Woops - my entry-level nimrod bad.

oldsoldier
10-18-2010, 16:53
I bought a new PII with the 1.5" accuracy guarantee and it now has 18.5K rounds through it. The slide now moves as if on ball bearings but there is no play between the slide/frame/barrel/barrel bushing. It still requires a bushing wrench to remove the bushing from the slide. It has proven itself to be extremely reliable. There were no failures of the gun to run straight from the box when it was super tight. The test target shipped with the gun is about a 3/4" group, definately less than 1". I would not pay the extra money for a 1.5" gun again since there isn't anyway I could match it's accuracy potential off hand or from a sand bag rest at 50 yards. I'm very proud of the cardboard box it was shipped in and keep it stored in a place of honor. I figure that box will be worth big bucks some day. :whistling:

bac1023
10-18-2010, 18:24

The SRP and PII are two different 1911s.