Hey Jack [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Jack

norton
10-17-2010, 17:22
I know you have been under the weather, but how is that Forster press working out?
Also the 1050. Watched some You tube video's on both, they look unique.

IndyGunFreak
10-17-2010, 17:43
I'm guessing he is busy trying to figure out what parts he needs to paint red to make it more functional.

IGF

GioaJack
10-17-2010, 17:59
I know you have been under the weather, but how is that Forster press working out?
Also the 1050. Watched some You tube video's on both, they look unique.

NORTON... BANG, ZOOM!

Just got back from the range a little while ago... beautiful Colorado day and I didn't wound anyone or drop over dead. (Dragging around an oxygen tank and a hose got to be a royal pain so I threw it back in the truck. Standing around at 5000 feet is pretty much like me already being on oxygen anyway so it was no big deal.)

Going to write up a thread about my observations on the 1050 in a few minutes so we won't worry about that right now.

In regards to the Co-Ax, the easiest thing to do is list what I don't like about it... you can't put a regular shell holder in it so that means you can't use a RCBS swager die. That's it, that the down side.

The press is pretty much everything its advertised to be. Certainly has the strongest linkage of any SS press I've ever used, and I've had a bunch of 'em. Wish I'd bought one 30 or 40 years ago.

Sizing and de-capping is absolutely spotless. You could do a thousand cases directly over mama's white, silk wedding dress and never get a spot of dirt on it. The primers fall through the universal shell holder, through a hollow tube and directly into a lid sealed jar. To empty it you simply unscrew the jar, dump the primers and screw it back on.

The universal shell holder fits virtually any case head as supplied. Apparently there are a couple weird calibers they won't fit but they sell another set for that application.

The shell holder is two separate pieces tensioned by two springs and close on the case as the rim is rising. No fumbling to slide it into a normal shell holder. You simply match the two halves for large cases or turn them around for small cases. Takes about 90 seconds if your hands don't work right like mine.

The die set-up is the slickest. Slide the lock ring into the slot in the front of the press, adjust your die, tighten the lock ring, turn the hex nut to secure the die and you're done forever. Wanna change dies, just loosen the hex nut, slide the die out then slide in another pre-adjusted die and you're off to the races. Couldn't be easier or quicker.

Because of the linkage design it probably sizes cases easier than any other press. In their marketing material they talk about sizing 200 308 cases without lube and no stuck cases or head separations.

When Zombie Steve was up here he used it to size a couple hundred or so .223 military cases. Suffice it to say he broke every piece of equipment I own except for the Co-Ax. He tried to break it... he's just inept.

The biggest problem with the press is the price, it ain't cheap at $220 but if you are in need os a quality SS, especially if you load a lot of rifle for bench or hunting I really don't know of a better SS out there.

Hope this helps and don't blame me if you go out and spend a bunch of money. :supergrin:

Jack

fudd
10-18-2010, 06:02
In regards to the Co-Ax, the easiest thing to do is list what I don't like about it... you can't put a regular shell holder in it so that means you can't use a RCBS swager die. That's it, that the down side.

Jack

Oh but you can http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=144115

Zombie Steve
10-18-2010, 07:26
NORTON... BANG, ZOOM!

When Zombie Steve was up here he used it to size a couple hundred or so .223 military cases. Suffice it to say he broke every piece of equipment I own except for the Co-Ax. He tried to break it... he's just inept.

Jack

Well, I tried to break that SOB, but all I could manage was a decapping pin or two... :supergrin:

It takes a little getting used to with the handle on top, but it's a really nice press.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 08:34
Oh but you can http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=144115

Fudd, you should be a trained investigator... you're a sneaky little devil. I had heard about that but was never able to find it on the Forster web-site.

Just further proof that I'm an idiot. :crying:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
10-18-2010, 16:04
I have never broken a Lee Decapping pin. Don't even own a spare. Can't imagine why I would need a spare either. Well I could hide it under the bench and ask Steve over for a nice game of "find the lost decapper".

Zombie Steve
10-18-2010, 16:08
It would be more challenging in Jack's 3 inch tall shag carpet...

Just sayin'.