Come on Guys!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Come on Guys!!!!

CC Glock
10-17-2010, 19:07
We need to get this hunting forum going. It is mid to late October!!!! I know theres got to be some die hard deer hunters on here.

I got something to get this going. What broad heads do you use. Im team SLICK TRICK. I shoot a 100 gr razor trick. Its the only fixed blade broad head i like. It doesnt leave the biggest entrance and exit holes but they are not small either and it gets the job done. The thing i love best about them is that they fly "JUST" like a field point. I like that they are made right here in arkansas also. I have only lost one deer while using them and that was my fault on a bad shoot but i didnt kill it, I see him every now and again but now his is educated.

BK63
10-18-2010, 11:52
I hunt deer one week a year with a shotgun with slugs. I have a sweet spot in the woods. It's a mile walk to it but it's a crossways from all directions and I get one sitting in the same spot every year and I never see anybody in there. Other than that I do a little squirrel plinking with the 22 the rest of the winter. I actually like squirrel hunting more. They are an easier drag out, and you don't have to walk in at 4am in the dark.

bustedknee
10-18-2010, 13:08
I deer hunt year-round.

I can only shoot them in the fall -- but I'm hunting every day.

I note what they eat and where, the color of their fur and when it changes, how they react when other deer approach, etc., etc.

Two years ago we bought our retirement home and it is out in the boonies so I see lots of critters. Last year was the first time in my life I practiced a "Let Em Walk" philosophy.

I am amazed how much I have learned by not shooting the first deer (or turkey) I see.

We were well over a month into last year's hunt and I had passed up several small bucks...when a big wide 10-pointer showed up.

This year, less than 3 weeks into the seasons, I have seen 9 different small bucks. Several of them multiple times. I'm waiting.

A couple keepers showed up on my trail cams and I spotted a couple before season opened. My wife saw a good one in the yard after season opened. Guess where I was at the time...hunting up on the mountain. Haha.

I am trying a, new to me, 100grn fixed blade New Archery Razorbak. I am yet to test it on a critter but they shoot well. I had been using an expandable but did not like the way it performed on a gobbler.

For many years I used the Razorbak that spun on the shaft. I took several moose with those and they always hit the same as my field points. But I can't seem to find them anymore.

Good luck.

CC Glock
10-18-2010, 15:08
Bustedknee it sounds like you have yourself a honey hole:embarassed:.
I learned so much also by letting deer walk, i listen to them grunting and the way they comunicate with other deer. I mimick my calling based on what i hear while im watching em. Good luck with the new broad heads.

striker6126
10-20-2010, 00:03
I have used muzzy 100 grain broadheads for years. I have thought about switching to rage to see what all the fuss is about but I see no reason to fix what is not broken.

Bow season has been in Al. for less than a week tomorrow will be my first hunt . Maybe I will have some pics after the hunt.

noway
10-20-2010, 06:32
Magnus BH for me out of my recurve. Great flight pattern and a glob of penetrations.

fwiw

Muzzy are not that crack up to what some thinks, the center ferrule is weaker than most other BH design and will split when hitting hard objects.

CC Glock
10-20-2010, 10:59
anytime i ever shot muzzy's i had to tune my bow to shoot them which meant i my feild tips weren't on target. Rage's are ok but the slick trick does just as good if not better with their fixed blades and they are cheaper.

alexanderg23
10-20-2010, 11:06
AR her too got tons in my back yard I could stick but they are kindof pets by now I'll go down the road as soon as rifle season opens up!

CC Glock
10-20-2010, 13:07
man go grab a bow and get at them early. heck you could shoot off your back porch. I know what you mean about them being pets, my dad lives at lake Norfork and he has tons but wont let me hunt them.

striker6126
10-20-2010, 22:39
I could not produce any pics for this thread today , all I saw was a bobcat and more squirrels than I could count. Maybe this weekend

bustedknee
10-21-2010, 07:02
The boys in the yard

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/Theboys.jpg

After dark

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/FightCam.jpg

noway
10-21-2010, 07:39
The boys in the yard

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/Theboys.jpg

After dark

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/FightCam.jpg

nice pic and one nice backyard

CC Glock
10-21-2010, 12:35
i love me some backyard bucks.

CanyonMan
10-22-2010, 14:55
Well, I'll toss in some equipment pics CC Glock, since thats been talked about some.

Easton aluminum shafts: 125gr Woodsman on top, and 125gr Magnus II bottom.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__1022001516.jpg

Custom Barred Turkey feather fleching on everything.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__1022001512.jpg

65# Martin Hunter recurve with a custom made Linda Brackenberry 3 strand camo flemish string.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__1022001528.jpg

The whole deal: (upside down in pic ha.)

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/2007bowturkeyhunt2.jpg

Maybe when I get time I'll try and find some bow kill game pics to scan in. ;)

Good hunting boys

CM

CC Glock
10-23-2010, 17:51
i have heard good things about the magnus broadheads. they look like they would make one heck of a whole in the old pump house

CanyonMan
10-24-2010, 13:01
i have heard good things about the magnus broadheads. they look like they would make one heck of a whole in the old pump house

They (the magnus) do make a really nice hole and have great penetration and do well against bone as well. (at least the ones I pictured do).

CM

JPP
10-24-2010, 19:41
Slic Trick Grizztricks are my broadhead of choice.
Awesome broadheads.

noway
10-25-2010, 11:13
They (the magnus) do make a really nice hole and have great penetration and do well against bone as well. (at least the ones I pictured do).

CM

I have to say the are one of the best BH. Every year that I hunt archery and don't get a Deer with stick and string, I shoot a palm tree on my exit. This Palm tree has about 4 BH now that are fully penetrated to the hilt from a Magnus.

Where I practice shoot at ( next to a leeve guard rail ), when I get off target and miss my block, the Magnus would hit this metal structure and only 1st 1/4" of the BH would be damage.

Try the same thing with a Muzzy and you would be finding pieces from the BH.

Just my experience.

Also I found out rear quick that carbon shaft don't hold up nor provide the same penetration as a good aluminum. If I go to my BassPro indoor archery range, and use my std Martin Takedown recurve and shoot a proper arrow with the same broadhead, the metal tubes provides better penetration and fuller depth.

So I personally think the BH and shaft combination is what you really need to get right to get the best penetration. And some times heavier is really better.
:wavey:

CanyonMan
10-25-2010, 12:19
I have to say the are one of the best BH. Every year that I hunt archery and don't get a Deer with stick and string, I shoot a palm tree on my exit. This Palm tree has about 4 BH now that are fully penetrated to the hilt from a Magnus.

Where I practice shoot at ( next to a leeve guard rail ), when I get off target and miss my block, the Magnus would hit this metal structure and only 1st 1/4" of the BH would be damage.

Try the same thing with a Muzzy and you would be finding pieces from the BH.

Just my experience.

Also I found out rear quick that carbon shaft don't hold up nor provide the same penetration as a good aluminum. If I go to my BassPro indoor archery range, and use my std Martin Takedown recurve and shoot a proper arrow with the same broadhead, the metal tubes provides better penetration and fuller depth.

So I personally think the BH and shaft combination is what you really need to get right to get the best penetration. And some times heavier is really better.
:wavey:

My friend I agree with ya all the way, top to bottom... ;)

You know me, Mr old fashion. haha. I started when I was real young with the Bear razor BH's, and stuck with them for a very looooong time, and when the Magnus and Zwickey come along I jumped on that band wagon, and I am styin there. haha

In my pic (see above) with the orange colored aluminum shaft and the red barred turkey fleching, do you know that shaft in the pic (i am still using) is almost 27 years old ! It is a Easton XX75 "Autum orange," (no longer made, 'the autum orange' that is) and I have a whole bunch of them turkey fletched and loaded with the Magnus double edged brod head (pictured).

I also have some easton camo shafts that are only 7-8 years old, but the point is the others at almost 27 years old. They have taken deer and everything else, and been banged around and used for practice as well, and still, after all this time their going strong.

LOL on you shooting that palm tree and steel rail. If there was an open season on palm trees you would be lookin good amigo ! haha.

Taking your frustration out on the tree at least feels good don't it ? ! ;)

Your right man, those are really tuff broadheads, and they just don't want to break. They leave a really good cut and good size hole, and whats more "they fly really straight. I am shooting a 31" shaft (long draw length and arms ha) and 5" custom feathers, off the shelf with the best string I have ever used in my life. The Linda Brakenberry 3 strand camo flemish string, custom made for my bow length.

Her husband is dead now, but you might have heard of the Brackenberry recurve and long bows. He made them way back in the day. Excellent bowyer he was. Well, for I guess for almost 20 years his wife makes the custom strings. I call on the phone give the measurments she ask for and she custom builds the string.

Get this. These strings will out last any other string I have ever used by at least ten times, and the serving won't ever seperate or split. They are truly a hand crafted well built string. A good string can make or break arrow performance as you know.

Glad to hear your still using the recurve. It has been several years since you and I were on the phone and such talking about all that. I also am glad to hear your staying with the aluminum shafting and the Magnus brodhead. Great set up amigo...

Well, I'm turing this into a book, so I best jump off here. :wavey:

Watch out for those killer palm trees man ! :supergrin:

Good hunting to ya this season noway..
Let me hear from ya when ya can bud.

CM

noway
10-25-2010, 20:22
Her husband is dead now, but you might have heard of the Brackenberry recurve and long bows. He made them way back in the day. Excellent bowyer he was. Well, for I guess for almost 20 years his wife makes the custom strings. I call on the phone give the measurments she ask for and she custom builds the string.

I heard of these bow before, I think tradtional archery had a few articles in the last 4 years on them all.

Here's my bows in the stable ;)

Martin Hatfield takedown #55lb limbs
( looking for #45 limbs )

Grizzy Bear #45

My favorite, a 60" x #60lb Bear Super Kodiak, one of the best factory recurves made imho

All recurve with strings custom built by Champion Custom Archery, shaft are primary aluminum but I also dab around with wooden ( flu-flu ) and carbon for small game.

http://www.recurves.com/

(sorry about the photos quality )

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/IMG_0010.jpg

I think alot of times, we put to much emphasis on the BH and forget about the shaft driving it home to and thru the target.

noway
10-25-2010, 20:25
Here's another grizzyly 72 cira, I also have a mint 68 Bear T/D with a C handle and 36lb limbs
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bowrecurve/bow01.jpg

CanyonMan
10-26-2010, 09:21
Noway, Very nice equipment amigo. Very nice. I am jealous of that Bear Super Kodiak especially ! haha. i had one and the Grizzly as well, and screwd up about 25 years ago and sold them. Seems mine was called Kodiak Hunter back then ??? Don't remember now. :dunno:

Had the bear Kodiak Magnum as well. It was like bending a crow bar at 60#'s in the little 48" length. ha. My Grizz was 70#'s back then, it was a nice shooting bow as well, but I do like 'your Super Kodiak' man. That should be a keeper, dang, they should all be keepers since you can't find good ones like these any more hardly... And the '72 grizz you have pictured. You've come across some fine bows noway. better keep a tight grip on 'em. Seems any more traditional archery equipment is difficult to find and when you do it is very expencive. I use 3 Rivers Archery for almost all my stuff, but they are pretty high as well.

I think your right about the articles in traditional bow hunter made some years back. Man that old boy made some very good bows. Some one else took the company over when he died (his wife told me) but I do not remember who.

BTW.. Man those Flu Flu arrows are a blast to shoot and hunt game birds with ain't they ? I love hunting birds with those. Looks like your well supplied.

Well, again, good looking equipment there my friend. Now let's see a pic of you and one of thos bows beside a dead deer this year ! ;)

Good pics noway, thanks for sharing man.

CM

noway
10-26-2010, 14:02
Been Trying on that last part ;)

I used fluFlu on squirrels just once and it's kinda "shocks" them to see this think flying up at them from the ground. Never shoot them on a bird , but only once and that was a stupid raven barking above my head, I hit nothing but bark on that one.

These FluFlu where build from 3rivers supplied wood and feathers that I grab from a guy off tradgang website. They are cap with 38spc + brass with one 00B pellet in to move the weight F.O.C. They are deadly on any ground small game animal down to squirrel and up to a coon if you hit them right. At worst you will shock or knock them out, requiring a cut or some other means to "Coup de Grace" the animal

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bowrecurve/smlgametips02.jpg

Traditonal archery had a article about 4 months back iirc, with a guy shooting featherless sticks, so I've crafted up some wood with nothing but a blunt head on the end, same thing, one 00B magnum shot for improved accuracy. These arrrows have not see the field yet, but I shot balloons on the ground to simulate a rabbit and feel comfortable on the acuracy and deadlness on game if you can stalk within 5-7m of a bugs bunny :cool:

noway
10-26-2010, 14:17
Here's my T/D bear classic bow

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bear/bear01.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bear/bear02.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bear/bear03.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bear/bear04.jpg

If I told you how much I paid for it, you would call me a lier, but I paid under $225.00 before taxes from a shop where this guy had it in the original bag hanging on the wall. I just gave him a price and he said okay.

I honestly felt like I stoled it at that price. I do wish it was a B handle and I'm looking for heavier limbs, but it makes a great field target bow and shoots skinny aluminum shafts with 125grain tips at ease up to about 30yards. I shoot either balloons ties to sticks or target blocks. I would hunt with it, but at my draw length and measured poundage it barely meets my state limits. I think I pull out about 35-36ish #s with this bow, if I had a B handle, I would hunt one time with it.

My 60"x60# Super Kodiak as I call it, fits into tight spots, clears more lower hanging live oaks, and allows me to shoot with a comfortable # and with good flight out to 20yards or so, after that distance my accuracy drops or my arrows starts to rainbowing down to earth.

CanyonMan
10-26-2010, 16:12
Here's my T/D bear classic bow

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bear/bear01.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bear/bear02.jpg

If I told you how much I paid for it, you would call me a lier, but I paid under $225.00 before taxes from a shop where this guy had it in the original bag hanging on the wall. I just gave him a price and he said okay.

I honestly felt like I stoled it at that price. I do wish it was a B handle and I'm looking for heavier limbs, but it makes a great field target bow and shoots skinny aluminum shafts with 125grain tips at ease up to about 30yards. I shoot either balloons ties to sticks or target blocks. I would hunt with it, but at my draw length and measured poundage it barely meets my state limits. I think I pull out about 35-36ish #s with this bow, if I had a B handle, I would hunt one time with it.

My 60"x60# Super Kodiak as I call it, fits into tight spots, clears more lower hanging live oaks, and allows me to shoot with a comfortable # and with good flight out to 20yards or so, after that distance my accuracy drops or my arrows starts to rainbowing down to earth.

Man the flu flu's with the 38sp on the end.. Brings back a bunch of memories.

Good ones. I used to do that waaaay back in the 70's. They do work real well. Then and now ! I haven't used those in a long time. I may make some up now that you reminded me of them again. I mostly use a rubber blunt or a 4 wire bird head for the small game and birds. But man the set up you got there really works very well. Haven't seen those in a long time. Looks good. I never used the "feather-less shafts," never thought about it I guess.

$225.00 for that take down. Man You did steal it from the guy ! ha. You might call 3 rivers and ask them for some good contacts on where to find the limbs for that bow. They may have some ideas. Craigs list comes to mind, but 3R's knows more about who sells what out there for these I bet. Very sweet bow.

Man there's got to be some limbs out there some where for it in heavier pound weight. If you cannot find them, ya might call some of the custom bowyers, and see what it would cost ya to have a pair made. It is not hard for them to do, and takes a very short ammount of time. Who knows, you may be able to get it done that way, if nothing else works.

Man they just do not make recurves like that any more. Bear used to put the most beautiful and thick laminations on their bows, like the ones you got in your pics.

Now, the bow makers have all mass produced the heck out of them so much their not even glued to well.

Check out this Martin I blew up ! Went off like a stick of dynamite on the draw. Glue was not properly distributed evenly through the laminations.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/0930070914a.jpg

"One reason" my brother and I built long bows and recurves in his shop for a while. Kinda like reloading.. Mine were better ! haha. Actually I got out of it and he really did all the work, but his bows were used to win championship shoots in east Texas. He really put out some fantastic shooting bows. I was more the business manager for him, and really did not have the time for that either, so I quit all together. Now he also has dropped his bussiness and went on to other things...

Just said all that to say. I assure you, that building those limbs is a real easy task, and only takes a very small ammount of time, so I would suggest to you again, not to forget about calling several bowyers if you cannot find the original limbs in the weight you want some where...

We were putting white tail deer antler tips on the long bows, and using purpule herat, and bamboo, and Osage prange, and a host of woods even standard maple, and then laminating them with whatever color glass the folks wanted. It took under a couple hours to form the limbs for the riser and get them ready for the "oven". No big deal.

Martin finally replaced it with a new one.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/pics9140.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/pics9153.jpg

I hope you can arrange to get the weight limbs you want/need for that really wonderful bow...

Sounds like your training well and shooting well. Man now all you need is that deer to walk by ! ;)

Looks good to me amigo !

CM

CanyonMan
10-26-2010, 16:42
Here's a couple of quick Cell phone pics of the antler tip we put on one of mine.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__1026001731a.jpg

This is a crummy cell pic, but this is my riser I made of Osage orange, (Bodark is another word for it) I am doing some "re-working" on it now, so that is what the 'scuff' is on it then i will refinish it.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/cid__1026001732.jpg

The rest of the bow is from maple with black laminations. It was really my "first one." More pics later when I got the time and a better camera with me here.. haha

Like I said. It is easy to build those limbs for someone who knows what their doing and has the equipment... ;)

CM

noway
10-27-2010, 08:44
$225.00 for that take down. Man You did steal it from the guy ! ha. You might call 3 rivers and ask them for some good contacts on where to find the limbs for that bow. They may have some ideas. Craigs list comes to mind, but 3R's knows more about who sells what out there for these I bet. Very sweet bow.

On 3Rs, the new kodiax limbs would work, kinda expensive tho. I really want a shorter hand to get a higher #lb naturally and to make the bow fit under 64". I also found out the new limb latches are slightly different from the earlier Fred Bear T/D and the newer stuff tho. My latch had some serious rust ( on only ) but I had a powder coater clean it and shoot it with some wrinkle flat black. If I could get a B or even A handle, I would hunt with a Bear T/D, but I believe a lot of the new T/D are much better made, better glue and laminations. With the T/D you carry this very easily in car , plane or train and yes my Hatfield has been in all three and I hunted last year in Ocala NF with it ( did not see anything other than bobcats ) ;)

On the antler tips, cool ideal & I seen it done numerous times below. I built some tip protected from raw elk hide, but I hardly use them now.

On the martin blowing up, one of my 1st bow that I hunted with ( recurve ) was #52 bear grizzly. It slowly came un done in my living room after I strung it up. I heard this creaking sound over the course of 2 days and then found my bottom limb split off. Man that was scary to think what-if I was going to take it out and shoot it.

I did a posting on this many years back called death of a Bear or something like that ;) I missed that bow. Very very much, for a non T/D is was smooth, no hand shock and after pulling back on my starter bow ( the 45# grizzly ) , 52# felt like nothing. Even my 60# too me is comfortable and smooth. I should search thru my collection and find that picture. I properly shot over 1K shots off that bow and killed one small hog and one squirrel with a plastic blunt head after he peek around a tree to get a luck at me. The plastic blunt fired from this bow with some short P&Y feathers, made that squirrel looked like it was smashed with a 2lb hammer. And if you think about it, that's what really happening when you shoot a blunt ;)

edit here's de-laminate limbs

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bowrecurve/deathofabear02.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bowrecurve/deathofabear01.jpg

and plastic blunt and fletching of mine

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/bowrecurve/smlgametips.jpg

With these newer mini-feathers that are coming out, these should provide for all of the steering & accuracy that one might need on a smallgame shaft.

CanyonMan
10-27-2010, 10:03
noway,

Man that Grizz did blow up on ya ! I was almost full draw when the Martin cut loose. BANG ! haha. I blew up an 80# bow once also. Man that hurt ! :wow:

They don't make like the used to. The glues are not as good and they are not using as good a qulity of wood in the industry of commercial traditional bows. Customs are the best bet today, but real expencive. $800.00 just to start for a good custom recurve or Long bow, and up to over a K for a real nice one. I can tell you from helping to build them, this is ridiculous. It just doesn't cost hardly a thing to build a real quaility recurve or long bow, and construction with the proper machinery takes no time at all.

Problem is custom bo makers are coming out of the cracks of the wall now a days taking advantage of people with all the fancy woods they offer, and most of them do not know how to even tiller a bow or which wood combibations make for the best "cast." They just through wood laminations together and if it looks pretty, then they call it good and sell it for 8/900.00 and it shoots like a club in the hand.

Again, like I said. If you call some really respected boyers, and tell them your needs for the riser or the limbs for that take down, you can probably get it done the way you want it. Building a riser takes a few hours and that is it, and most of that is in the oven.

Hope you find someone to help ya with your needs on the take down. That is a good bow.

Good looking fletch job with the shield cut feathers on your arrow in the pic with the blunt. Shouls work reall well with that set up.

Man I tell ya. Traditional archery demands picky pepople. haha. They are some of the most picky folks in the world about their equipment. I am ! :supergrin:

I love the recurve/long bow sport in hunting game, probably far more than any gun hunting. To me it is really a very challenging and rewarding way to hunt, even if you don't come home with meat. ha.

If you haven't tried the long bow yet, man you ought to. Just stay with 64" to 66" max length. I recommend 64" as the best overal.

Gotta run right quick

Later amigo !
good huntin ;)

CM