Shell deformation in loaded guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shell deformation in loaded guns?

sambeaux2249
10-17-2010, 22:05
I've been meaning to bring up a question here for some time. I keep 4 shotguns in my home loaded. I periodically unload them to clean or inspect them, but then load the same shells back in. I've noticed that the Hornady TAP shells have a much softer hull than the Federal LE-133. These shotguns have been loaded with the same shells more or less continuously for the last couple of years.

That said, I've never had any problems with shell deformation with either the Federal or Hornady rounds in those shotguns ( 1 870, 1 Mossberg 500, and 2 Benelli Nova's ). On the other hand, I very briefly kept an Ithaca 37 Defense model loaded with a mix of Hornady and Federal rounds ( less than two weeks ), and found that the Hornady shells were visibly deformed and absolutely, positively could NOT be chambered in that Ithaca. Those same deformed shells cycled fine through my 870 and the Benellis ( I didn't try the mossberg ). What really confuses me is that the Ithaca had by FAR the weakest magazine spring.

So, I'm posing a couple of questions. First, have any of you had any problems with shell deformation in loaded shotguns. Second, do any of you have any idea WHY I only had a problem with that Ithaca, even though it had the weakest magazine spring?

I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Thanks.

Sam

Grovenator
10-20-2010, 20:04
I have never had any of the mentioned issues with any of my shotguns or ammo. My HD shotty has had the same shells in it for about two years now and they have not deformed in any way.

B Coyote
10-20-2010, 22:27
I've had this problem in two guns (M590 and 870P) with Federal LE1324B. My shotgun is kept full tube/empty chamber.

If left loaded for more than six months I've found the shells will open enough to allow buffer to leak from some shells. It's been enough to cause feed issues with the M590. To their credit the shells still fed after I pulled things apart and cleaned the tube.

bc

sambeaux2249
10-20-2010, 23:22
Hmm... So far, the only shells that have deformed have been the Hornady TAP low recoil buckshot. Even then, it only happened in that Ithaca 37 Defense. I've had no problem leaving Hornady TAP shells loaded for months in other guns, but they deformed in DAYS in that Ithaca.

I'm thinking I'm more and more glad I got rid of that Ithaca. I kept my 590 loaded for months, and my 870 and Nova's loaded for years.

*shrugs* I was just curious to see if anyone saw similar issues.

Sam

aippi
10-21-2010, 09:52
I keep four rounds in my HD's which all have two round tube extensions and have never had an issue. I have also not look closely at the ammo so I will not start doing that. I also fire the ammo that has been in the weapon and replace it with new ammo from time to time so that has also contributed to no deformed ammo as it is only in there for a few months at a time.