snap caps for G19 gen 3 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : snap caps for G19 gen 3

Badz
10-18-2010, 03:56
hello JR,

This is my first post since my account was activated just today by eric. my concern is about snap caps which i bought recently for my G19. after reading a thread posted by a respected shooter and armorer about glocks official word of using snap caps when dry firing a glock to avoid striker breaks.as you can see on the photo the primer is brass looking and i've tried pushing it using a pen to check if it is spring supported, found out that it is ( primer returns to position after slightly pushing it ). now my question is, is it safe to use? i was a bit concern what if the thing will damage the striker of my G19. I am from the philippines so sending any damage internals for my glock will take time and i don't see parts being sold here.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx98/Badz9mm/IMGP3980.jpg

JR
10-18-2010, 18:04
(Welcome to GT! Hope you have a blast here)

Your Glock pistol is designed to be dry fired WITHOUT the use of snap caps.
Think about it for a second.... The only way to remove the slide is to dry fire it first. Wouldn’t you be a little disappointed if you had to insert a snap cap every time you wanted to remove the slide?
Snap caps are great for practicing a failure to fire drill. They are great for lots of other uses in other guns but hardly worth the effort to use them in a Glock. Don’t get me wrong, you can use them if you like but why? The Glock is designed to be dry fired for life!

Badz
10-19-2010, 02:48
Thank you so much for the quick reply sir, your answer just made me smile and very informative. hope you don't mine me asking 1 last question, i read a lot on the net that people send broken glock parts to glock smyrna and have it replaced free of charge. so can i do the same procedure as many glock owners did? calling glock usa will cost me a lot from where i am sir, i do hope you understand that i'm taking this opportunity of asking you since you have years of experience with glocks and with tons of information you're capable of providing to people like me.

Gerelle

JR
10-19-2010, 16:16
I completely understand your position. Returning parts to Glock Inc is dang near impossible in your situation.
Rest assured, your Glock is made to be dry fired. Dry fire as much as you like, BTW: it helps the trigger control issues tremendously!

Badz
10-20-2010, 02:40
As i expected you are the person that cleared my doubts of dry firing and your dedication to help made people with glocks easier if a problem arise.a big thank you from a man thousands of miles away sir. i'll take your word when it comes to glocks.you will be blessed in time for the effort you made to people that depended on you by way of information. once again thank you...