I am curious about reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I am curious about reloading

ashecht
10-18-2010, 08:35
Since I shoot both of my Glocks pretty much every weekend, I would like to see what it would take, both equipment and cost wise to get into reloading. Any suggestions as to what I would need, the best place to get what I need(new or used) and how or where I could go to learn how to do it. I would be reloading .40 and 9mm. It appears that cost wise, its WAY cheaper to reload, if you do it right. Thanks!

Flipz
10-18-2010, 10:12
Take a look at the Reloading Forum. Plenty of info and answers to your questions there.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Fire_Medic
10-18-2010, 10:13
What Flipz said, there's a few sticky's now actually answering your questions.
:wavey:

MonsterB
10-18-2010, 10:21
Reloading does make for less expensive bullets, but it doesnt save you money, you will only shoot more :) . Start saving your brass now if you havent already done so. Its very important to do everything carefully and to double check whatever you do. Most of the Kabooms you hear about are from improperly made reloads, so you have to be carefull. Dillon makes some of the best presses, and you can mailorder bullet heads and primers to keep things cheap. I just got 1k 38 rounds for 80 bucks.

bustedknee
10-18-2010, 10:35
It is cheaper and fun, not to mention the fact you can make your own high quality premium ammo.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2854&route=C04J148

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/RCBS.jpg

mjallen66
10-18-2010, 14:20
Ditto on everything said above. I started reloading handgun ammo just to save money, but it turned into a great hobby in itself. I haven't seen any net savings, but am able to shoot much more for the same amount of money and enjoy the reloading process.

rsxr22
10-18-2010, 16:19
good info above, if you are shooting high volumes of ammo though, i would highly recommend just starting off with a progressive. Most start with a single stage and then get tired of it and move into the progressive, takes some advice and save a little more for a dillon or rcbs

Boxerglocker
10-18-2010, 16:54
Since I shoot both of my Glocks pretty much every weekend, I would like to see what it would take, both equipment and cost wise to get into reloading. Any suggestions as to what I would need, the best place to get what I need(new or used) and how or where I could go to learn how to do it. I would be reloading .40 and 9mm. It appears that cost wise, its WAY cheaper to reload, if you do it right. Thanks!

Good advice given so far... First question answered, what calibers? 9mm and .40... Second question, how much do you shoot in a given month?... Third question, how much time do you want (have available) to invest in reloading… 50 rounds an hour, 100-150 rounds an hour, 300-400 rounds an hour… more? less? Forth question… budget concerns, dependant on the time you have to reload, quantity you need to load and calibers needed.

I bring these straight out as a baseline… if you have time to reload 100-150 rounds an hour, a LCT kit and associated accessories can easily be acquired for 2 calibers for about $400-460 total…. Press, dies, tumbler/media, calipers, beam scale, manual, etc. If you go single stage as some undoubtedly will recommend, you pay less in cash more in time… if you go progressive, you pay more cash upfront for the press and conversions in calibers but less in time at the bench.

Cost of components is not included in the above total but given the cost of bulk bullet, powder and primer buys you could reload your first 4K rounds of 9mm/.40 for $110-150 a K. That would save you about 50% and have your equipment paid off in 8 months if you’re a 500 rounds a month shooter about 6 if 800 rounds a month and 4 if 1000 a month.

chris in va
10-18-2010, 18:56
I started with 9mm, then 45acp and 30-06...all with my Lee Hand Press.

Does it give you carpal? Yes. Does it resemble a ThighMaster? Yes. But they're inexpensive and work well enough as a 'starter' kit to get your feet wet. In my case, I jumped in the pool with the thing, having loaded probably 7000 rounds since last year.

No need to buy new. Lots of good used equipment floating around. My Redding beam scale cost me $25 on Ebay and works fine. I use homemade dippers made from 9mm casings and stiff wire.

EL_NinO619
10-18-2010, 19:34
If your shooting mainly pistol, i would go progressive for sure. If you can afford it LNL or a Dillon 550.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 20:02
I certainly do not want to sway your decision as to what press to purchase, they ALL have their good points and bad points and you would be well advised to carefully consider your needs, wants and budget.

If, however, your ultimate decision leads you in the direction of a Dillon 550 I happen to know of one that may be for sale.

Now, this is no ordinary 550, not by a long shot. It is owned and regularly operated by a world renowned loader and shooter. Many a fine round has gracefully slid down the discharge chute to rest blissfully in the catch bin with its brethren counterparts awaiting its final journey as an alpha shot in a high stakes match. (It is rumored, among those in the know, that this particular machine produces rounds that are incapable of less than alphas or misses at a hundred yards on any target larger than 4 cubic inches. Although there is no scientific proof to support this hypothesis there is more than ample anecdotal evidence.)

What is widely known is that this particular 'BLUE WONDER' has been seen in the company of at least one very, very attractive woman and there is no reason to believe that it's ability to attract a plethora of women has been depleted. If you never load a round this uncanny ability alone is worth the purchase price.

You should not be swayed in anyway by the imminent availability of this machine... unless your goal in life is to die a lonely old man.

Choose wisely. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
10-18-2010, 20:11
I think I would get two 1050's are a couple Load Masters. They are pratically interchangable.

chris6424
10-18-2010, 20:15
Dillon customer service is the best! Save yourself the aggravation and start out with quality equipment.

shotgunred
10-18-2010, 20:25
Gees thanks jack:cool:
world renown is stretching things a little. I don't think anyone in Greenland has seen me shoot yet. But the 550 that got me to were I am today is regretfully for sale. My wife is quite upset by all the beautiful young ladies that follow it home.

Boxerglocker
10-18-2010, 20:29
I certainly do not want to sway your decision as to what press to purchase, they ALL have their good points and bad points and you would be well advised to carefully consider your needs, wants and budget.

If, however, your ultimate decision leads you in the direction of a Dillon 550 I happen to know of one that may be for sale.

Now, this is no ordinary 550, not by a long shot. It is owned and regularly operated by a world renowned loader and shooter. Many a fine round has gracefully slid down the discharge chute to rest blissfully in the catch bin with its brethren counterparts awaiting its final journey as an alpha shot in a high stakes match. (It is rumored, among those in the know, that this particular machine produces rounds that are incapable of less than alphas or misses at a hundred yards on any target larger than 4 cubic inches. Although there is no scientific proof to support this hypothesis there is more than ample anecdotal evidence.)

What is widely known is that this particular 'BLUE WONDER' has been seen in the company of at least one very, very attractive woman and there is no reason to believe that it's ability to attract a plethora of women has been depleted. If you never load a round this uncanny ability alone is worth the purchase price.

You should not be swayed in anyway by the imminent availability of this machine... unless your goal in life is to die a lonely old man.

Choose wisely. :whistling:

Jack

Whose selling the 550 jack... Set up with what if any caliber conversion? I know someone that may be interested if the price is right. :wavey:

Colorado4Wheel
10-18-2010, 20:30
world renown is stretching things a little. I don't think anyone in Greenland has seen me shoot yet. But the 550 that got me to were I am today is regretfully for sale. My wife is quite upset by all the beautiful young ladies that follow it home.

Didn't you just get a 650?

Colorado4Wheel
10-18-2010, 20:34
THe real questiong is are you Bi-Curious or Tri-Curious or heaven forbid considering green as well.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 20:35
Whose selling the 550 jack... Set up with what if any caliber conversion? I know someone that may be interested if the price is right. :wavey:

Unfortunately I am sworn to secrecy for the moment under penalty of... hell, there is no penalty, there's not a damn thing he can do to be.

Lets just call it honor... for now. :whistling:

Jack

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 20:38

Yeah, she tells me about that 550... all the time. :couch:

Jack

shotgunred
10-18-2010, 20:42
Didn't you just get a 650?

Not yet. I want one but don't need one. My 550 is meeting my needs right now. I keep wavering because of the economy. I am not sure I wouldn't be better off to leave the money in the bank for emergencies. I just can't decide.

Besides jack write up was just to good not to steal it.

Colorado4Wheel
10-18-2010, 20:49
I already feel a little sorry for the OP.

gjk5
10-18-2010, 20:55
I will give my usual recommendation with the usual disclaimer: not an expert, never owned a Dillon, did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

The LCT is a great starting point, I have one and an RCBS single stage. I used the LCT for all pistol (9MM, .38, .357, .44mag, .45ACP) and previously worked-up .223 loads and the RCBS for 7MM RM, .300 sav, .25-06 and now .30-06. I am currently converting my Uniflow and rifle dies to fit a 3 hole turret and will use the LCT as a manual turret and then go to auto index after I familiarize myself with it. I can load 125 pistol rounds/hr at a pretty easy pace and that is plenty for me. I normally shoot about 500 rd/month of pistol but just started IDPA and may be at 750 or so (only one shoot a month and not much free time to practice anymore than I already do). Caliber changes are super quick and relatively cheap ($40 dies+$11 turret unless you want extra powder measures too).

YMMV.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 21:15
gjk5

Saw some pictures of where you shoot on one of the other forums... SWEET!

Jack

DWARREN123
10-18-2010, 21:24
I started with and still use a Lee Anniversary Kit and like it. Not the fastest but it works well for me. The kit with brass, bullets, primers, powder and dies cost me around $225 to start.

I have settled on the 40 S&W as my handgun centerfire cartridge and is all I reload at this time.

I have settled on one powder for the 40, Hodgdon's Longshot and for me it does very well with different types of bullets and weights.

It depends on how much you can spend, how dedicated you are and what you want/need from your reloading setup.

PCJim
10-18-2010, 21:35
Ashecht, you've received a lot of good info above. Especially important is the amount of shooting you plan on per month and your discretionary slush fund balance. If tight on funds, you may not want to spend all of your funds on a press and not have any left for the necessary extra equipment and your components.

Lastly, look on YouTube for videos of the presses you might be considering. They may give you some further insight.

Zombie Steve
10-18-2010, 22:20
I already feel a little sorry for the OP.

Yep. It's pretty well known that you need to clear out a section of your brain to be able to retain reloading information. Too often, it's the part that allows you to function in normal society. You'll likely dismiss non-reloading shooters as if they were a lesser life form, and people that don't shoot at all become totally invisible. One might be able to retain the ability to "interact" with one or two people, but it's usually a UPS driver, the liquor store clerk or the customer service gal at Dillon. Most of us have to make up imaginary friends... a butler, for example.

gjk5
10-18-2010, 22:37
gjk5

Saw some pictures of where you shoot on one of the other forums... SWEET!

Jack

Depends on the company Jack. At the developed range (the one with the long range rifle setup) I have seen some monumental dumbassery. This last time every single person there knew range commands and when and how to appropriately call a hot or cold range. Other times I have seen little dumbasses shooting Moisins at full 20# propane tanks at 20yds and have had a ****** pop off .22's while I was resetting a target "all the way at the other end of the 100yd line".

That is why I generally migrate to the "open shoot" areas where the most of my other pics were from.

It's an unsupervised BLM range but it goes out to 1000 with a fair amount of gongs.

gjk5
10-18-2010, 22:39
Yep. It's pretty well known that you need to clear out a section of your brain to be able to retain reloading information. Too often, it's the part that allows you to function in normal society. You'll likely dismiss non-reloading shooters as if they were a lesser life form, and people that don't shoot at all become totally invisible. One might be able to retain the ability to "interact" with one or two people, but it's usually a UPS driver, the liquor store clerk or the customer service gal at Dillon. Most of us have to make up imaginary friends... a butler, for example.

Vivian rocks out da troof again!

EL_NinO619
10-18-2010, 23:44
Jack, i will trade you my cargo pants for your 550?:fishing:

Zombie Steve
10-19-2010, 06:54
Jack, i will trade you my cargo pants for your 550?:fishing:

:rofl:

shotgunred
10-19-2010, 18:35
Back to the real question. By price point from lease to most expensive. Here is our general consensus of presses worth buying. Not including any single stage presses. The more they cost the faster they go.

Lee classic turret. (Buy kit from kempts)
Dillon 550 (Buy from Brian Enous or Dillon)
Hornady LNL AP (Buy from manadventure)
Dillon 650 (Buy from Brian Enous or Dillon)
Dillon 1050 (Buy from Brian Enous or Dillon)

Good article on Dillon presses.
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

http://www.dillonprecision.com/
http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-095100-Lock-N-Load-Loader-AP.html

fredj338
10-19-2010, 23:35
Back to the real question. By price point from lease to most expensive. Here is our general consensus of presses worth buying. Not including any single stage presses. The more they cost the faster they go.Lee classic turret. (Buy kit from kempts)
Dillon 550 (Buy from Brian Enous or Dillon)
Hornady LNL AP (Buy from manadventure)
Dillon 650 (Buy from Brian Enous or Dillon)
Dillon 1050 (Buy from Brian Enous or Dillon)

Good article on Dillon presses.
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

http://www.dillonprecision.com/
http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Hornady-095100-Lock-N-Load-Loader-AP.html
I think that applies to Jack's lady friends as well.:rofl:

ron59
10-20-2010, 07:44
Here's a great series of videos about loading on a 550B. Note, that MUCH of this info would apply to ANY press you might buy. He discusses other equipment you might need such as scales and calibers. He discusses how to use a reloading manual. He also shows what each stage of a press accomplishes (resizing, priming, belling and powder drop, seating, crimping, etc).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4&feature=related

There are 5 of them at 10 minutes each. This stuff is so good it could almost be Dillon's marketing material.

I was unsure of which direction to go, it was watching this series of videos that made me realize that reloading just *isn't* that hard, and that it was something I could do. I got my 550B setup in July 2009, and have already reloaded something like 23,000 rounds of 9mm.

Even if you're leaning towards something else, this video series *will* be educational for you.

MrOldLude
10-20-2010, 09:34
I too started with and still use the Lee Anniversary single-stage press. Best bang for the buck you'll be able to find.

Realistically, if you're starting with a single-stage, there's very very little benefit to higher-priced units. Paying a bit more for a more complex progressive though, is acceptable.

For the volumes you say you shoot, I too would just go to progressive first. It takes me a long time to load several hundred 9mm. But the cost savings just aren't there to justify a faster press.

edit: But yes, even though I do save money per round, my shooting volume definitely has grown since I started rolling my own.

Colorado4Wheel
10-20-2010, 19:09
LCT would make plenty of ammo for most people. But thats hard to know with out know what he actually shoots a week.

RustyFN
10-20-2010, 21:00
Reloading does make for less expensive bullets, but it doesnt save you money, you will only shoot more .

I shoot more and save money. Most people I know have the same experience.

bustedknee
10-21-2010, 07:16
The way I look at it:

I bought my equipment. It is paid for.
I bought the components. They are paid for.

When I need ammo, I load up some. IT IS FREE!

GSSF shoot in Lexington this weekend? Give me an hour and I will make a couple boxes of that free ammo.