Hornady warranty clarification. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady warranty clarification.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 11:22
The other day Little Stevie called me for no specific reason because he has even less of a life than I do. Actually he just wanted to see if I was still alive... because he only lives 2 hours away he figured if I didn't answer the phone he could drive up here and offer my daughter a hundred bucks for all of my equipment before the rest of you vultures even knew I was dead. When I saw his name on the phone I should have just let it ring so he'd waste a bunch of fuel on an unnecessary trip. RATS... an opportunity wasted.

Anyway during his normal diatribe of measuring anything that sits, walks, swims or flies the subject of RED vs. BLUE warranty came up. He mentioned the fact that Dillon will rebuild any of their machines, (1050 being the exception) for life at a very nominal amount. This is, without question an excellent way to do business and a very effective marketing tool. I mentioned to him that Hornady offers a lifetime warranty on the LNL, (their other machines may have the same warranty but I'm not sure.)

Being full of energy from sucking on this stupid oxygen hose and bored as normal I decided to call Hornady to get the 'straight skinny', as we used to say. (I believe the younger generation use the term, 'get the 411'. An obviously unimaginative and stupid phrase but then again so is Rapp 'music'.

As is customary I spoke to a very well informed and helpful representative in customer service. He was quick and very straight forward with his answer to my inquiry. 'We don't charge to rebuild a LNL... there is never a labor charge'.

To be honest, unless you stupidly let Zombie Steve load on your LNL I really don't see what you could do to the machine to necessitate sending the whole thing back since they are pretty much straight forward and any part that actually needed to be replaced will simply be sent to you and easily replaced. None-the-less, should the situation arise that you do want to send it back it will be refurbished at no cost... unless your name is Zombie Steve, then they'll pay you not to buy one in the first place.

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to exchange my oxygen hose for helium and scare the hell out of the dog. :whistling:

Jack

dsmw5142
10-18-2010, 11:56
The other day Little Stevie called me for no specific reason because he has even less of a life than I do. Actually he just wanted to see if I was still alive... because he only lives 2 hours away he figured if I didn't answer the phone he could drive up here and offer my daughter a hundred bucks for all of my equipment before the rest of you vultures even knew I was dead.

I'll give her $101. and pay shipping :whistling:

Boxerglocker
10-18-2010, 12:02
Good to know Jack, this info.

I wonder though as to the true extent of the LNL warranty as they quoted never a "labor" charge, in a situation as I had with one of my SDB's.
I purchased it used at a nett amount of $170 in one calber (sold the 2 extra sets of dies and one extra toolhead). The machine ran but was very rough. Sent it to Dillon for a cost of $28.72 UPS ground insured for the amount of $300.
Cost at the time last year for the rebuild at Dillon was $39.99, now I believe it is $49.99. I got the unit back in 11 days after they recieved it.
When I opened it realised that it was not the same machine, but an upgraded one with newer body with brass bushings, powder drop was upgraded and the only parts that I could see that were original from the machine I sent in were newer .45 ACP dies I had installed prior to sending it in. The listed total invoice cost for the parts they replaced was just under $240.
I have to say that I was shocked and more than happy to pay the initial $39.99 fee, which essentially was the shipping cost back to me.
No trying to start a debate here, just throwing it out for discussion. I'm not anti LNL or Lee or otherwise....
Statistically the LNL is way behind Dillon in regards to volume sales... that is a fact. I wonder how many LNL owners have actually owned thier press long enough to take advantage of the warranty? I'd like to hear and see what extent they go, from those who have actually experienced it.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 12:26
BG:

You bring up a very good point... I doubt that anyone has really had to send in a complete machine for a refurbish so I don't have an answer. The representative's response of 'never a labor charge' was to my statement that Dillon only charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $40. (I wasn't really sure what they charged.)

I know they never charge for a part you might need, never ask for a broken or defective part to be returned, (at least that's been my experience) and if truth be told there's really no reason to buy any kind of spare parts from Midway, (or where ever).

I've had my machines for about a year and a half now and (just like Dillon) they have literally bent over backwards to make sure I've been 100% satisfied. (We won't take into consideration if an individual prefers a 650 over a LNL... that's pretty much a personal choice based on a lot of factors. I'd be more than happy with either, I just lean more toward the LNL's because of my physical limitations. There's not a great difference but enough to make it more comfortable to load on. The wide openness of the shell plate area makes it much easier for my arthritic hands.)

I also agree completely that Hornady has a long, long way to go to catch up with Dillon on sales numbers but there was a time when Dillon had a long, long way to go to catch up with Star loaders. I had my Stars for a long time and was a bit apprehensive when I sold them and switched to Dillon.

Jack

Boxerglocker
10-18-2010, 13:06
BG:

You bring up a very good point... I doubt that anyone has really had to send in a complete machine for a refurbish so I don't have an answer. The representative's response of 'never a labor charge' was to my statement that Dillon only charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $40. (I wasn't really sure what they charged.)

I know they never charge for a part you might need, never ask for a broken or defective part to be returned, (at least that's been my experience) and if truth be told there's really no reason to buy any kind of spare parts from Midway, (or where ever).

I've had my machines for about a year and a half now and (just like Dillon) they have literally bent over backwards to make sure I've been 100% satisfied. (We won't take into consideration if an individual prefers a 650 over a LNL... that's pretty much a personal choice based on a lot of factors. I'd be more than happy with either, I just lean more toward the LNL's because of my physical limitations. There's not a great difference but enough to make it more comfortable to load on. The wide openness of the shell plate area makes it much easier for my arthritic hands.)

I also agree completely that Hornady has a long, long way to go to catch up with Dillon on sales numbers but there was a time when Dillon had a long, long way to go to catch up with Star loaders. I had my Stars for a long time and was a bit apprehensive when I sold them and switched to Dillon.

Jack

Again not starting a debate Jack... just asking... Dillon has increased it's refurbishment flat fee over the course of the last few years. Not surprising with the cost of fuel thus shipping alone. I expect Horandy will catch up eventually in regards to total volume sales. I would venture to say at this point for new sales and with thier current promotions they have a pretty significant chunk already. It's a good press no doubt, just your recommendation alone would push me to get one if starting from scratch and not having a Dillon or two beforehand.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 13:26
BG:

Hell, there's nothing wrong with debate, that's how we all learn. Argument is a horse of a different color however... that's how we all end up divorced, at least that's been my experience. :supergrin:

I suspect that there's someone in the Hornady organization that although may not be able to spell 'gun' if spotted the G and the N knows a thing or two about marketing and developing an acceptable market share.

There have been observations that Hornady is only able to sell their machines by offering 'free bullets'. This may or may not be true... I don't know. I liken it to the free food samples at the end of the isle in Costco, you develop a new product, or improve an existing one and give people a taste, or reason to buy. Seems to work with other products, no reason to think it wouldn't work with loading equipment.

I would suspect that Lee has sold a lot of dies just because they include a free shell holder... seems like excellent marketing to me. Show me a house of ill repute with a buy one, get one free and I'm there. Proper marketing can reap amazing results.

One of the reasons I switched from Star to Dillon was because of their reputation of the no BS warranty, plus I used to have an investment house in Phoenix so I used to drive up to Dillon all the time just to look around. The employees were pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful so I spent my money with them. I find Hornady to be very similar, if not exactly the same hence I spend my money with the.

I hope I die before someone invents a new and improved press... I've got no more room. :whistling:

Jack

Boxerglocker
10-18-2010, 13:30
:goodpost: Jack.... you have such a way with words :rofl:

Bob2223
10-18-2010, 13:36
Good to know Jack, this info.

. I wonder how many LNL owners have actually owned thier press long enough to take advantage of the warranty? I'd like to hear and see what extent they go, from those who have actually experienced it.

We may never know?

It could take a couple generations of use before a LNL would need that kind of warranty work ?

Bob :supergrin:

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 13:41
We may never know?

It could take a couple generations of use before a LNL would need that kind of warranty work ?

Bob :supergrin:

May I point out that a commoner flatlander uttered that statement and that I, an honorable and compassionate mountain man would never stoop so low as to 'stir the pot'.

It upsets me greatly to see the depths this forum has sunk to... my sensibilities are quite naturally offended. :crying:

Jack

shotgunred
10-18-2010, 13:56
Hey jack now that you have your 1050 set up can I borrow one of your Lnl's?

I am sure I could test their warranty.

Zombie Steve
10-18-2010, 14:33
To be honest, unless you stupidly let Zombie Steve load on your LNL I really don't see what you could do to the machine to necessitate sending the whole thing back since they are pretty much straight forward and any part that actually needed to be replaced will simply be sent to you and easily replaced. None-the-less, should the situation arise that you do want to send it back it will be refurbished at no cost... unless your name is Zombie Steve, then they'll pay you not to buy one in the first place.

Jack

OK, Jack... I know I'm never going to live this down, and I it is a well known fact that if you lock me in a room with no windows and two bowling balls I will find a way to lose one and break the other, but can I point out that Little Stevie's Dillon didn't break when he let me use it? :whistling:

Maybe it was the fact that you set me up with crummy ruskie primers that you'd never tried before. That, and I'm super strong. :supergrin: I didn't know I had to baby it... :whistling:

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 14:45
I've been using those 'crummy Ruskie' primers since then and I haven't broken anything. A mere coincidence... I think not.

BTW... if you ever come north of Castle Rock I'm going to have you shot, beaten to a pulp and arrested... in that order.

Jack

Zombie Steve
10-18-2010, 16:21
The line is Castle Rock, then... you can keep the yankee hippie commie trash up north. Come south whenever you like... we have hot tar and feathers for you.

:cool:

StaTiK
01-16-2011, 21:51
This is kind of bringing up an older conversation but something I've been wondering myself. I was about to post a similar question, and lo and behold... the search function revealed an existing thread. Jack, Boxer, thanks for this!

The LNL-AP is admittedly too new for much info regarding warranty details (unlike Dillon) but past performance is probably the best predictor of future actions, despite investment disclaimers. So... does anyone have experience with Hornady handling service on older pro-7s and pro-jectors? More specifically, have they always honored their warranties and do they still take care of current owners of old models?

I've heard amazing stories about Dillon even upgrading machines for owners of discontinued models... have Hornady owners been historically supported or left out to dry? Will LNL-AP owners be forgotten when the LNL-2015 comes out?

I ask because I'm pretty young and there isn't much sense in a lifetime warranty when you can't buy shellplates/pins/etc after 10 years. For example, ask Iran how they like their F-14s...

-StaTiK-

dudel
01-17-2011, 06:11
Again not starting a debate Jack... just asking... Dillon has increased it's refurbishment flat fee over the course of the last few years. Not surprising with the cost of fuel thus shipping alone. I expect Horandy will catch up eventually in regards to total volume sales. I would venture to say at this point for new sales and with thier current promotions they have a pretty significant chunk already. It's a good press no doubt, just your recommendation alone would push me to get one if starting from scratch and not having a Dillon or two beforehand.

Yeah, but Hornady has a whole ammo and projectile operation to help subsidize any costs of growing the LNL business. I think Dillon may be suffering from a new batch of uneducated NEWBS. Us blueheads rave about the product, and someone with no skillz (or in some cases the desire to learn) gets one, screws up, calls Dillon for a) help thats in the manual or b) parts to fix what they've "fixed". It's got to add up.

From now on, I'm going to strongly recommend LEE! :supergrin:

Not knocking Hornady, they make some execellent stuff, and my bench is heavy with it. Their CS is certainly the equal of Dillon. Once while loading lead, the clip at the bottom of the seater snagged. Used one from another Hornady seater and kept going. Next day, I called to order some more clips. They just sent them. Got them the next day, even though I told them there was no rush.

EL_NinO619
01-17-2011, 07:08
LnL. LnL. To be honest I enjoy the whole industrys customer service.

DoctaGlockta
01-17-2011, 07:15
I really don't see what you could do to the machine to necessitate sending the whole thing back since they are pretty much straight forward and any part that actually needed to be replaced will simply be sent to you and easily replaced.

Jack

http://i52.tinypic.com/283m9.jpg

:whistling:

GioaJack
01-17-2011, 10:09
What are we looking at there that you can't fix without replacing parts mailed to you? The picture is kind of confusing and my meds haven't worn off yet.

Jack

DoctaGlockta
01-17-2011, 10:48
What are we looking at there that you can't fix without replacing parts mailed to you? The picture is kind of confusing and my meds haven't worn off yet.

Jack

I know just yanking chains. Already fixed. Primer plugged the exit tube on the press. Other primers piled up and pushed the brass escape tube out of the press. I was perplexed at first and then figured out what happened.

Had to call Hornady today anyways to order a new LP primer slider/arm and a new return spring that mysteriously went missing :whistling:

I'll get my primer system working come hell or high water.

sdelam
01-17-2011, 11:22
I managed to strip the threads on my primer seater. They sent me a hole base plate and both seaters at no charge. I was back up and running in two days.

GioaJack
01-17-2011, 11:40
I know just yanking chains. Already fixed. Primer plugged the exit tube on the press. Other primers piled up and pushed the brass escape tube out of the press. I was perplexed at first and then figured out what happened.

Had to call Hornady today anyways to order a new LP primer slider/arm and a new return spring that mysteriously went missing :whistling:

I'll get my primer system working come hell or high water.

It only took one time of the primer shuttle spring flying across the room for me to realize that I don't have enough feeling in my fingers to remove or replace it. Now I use a needle nose pliers... takes about two seconds... much quicker than searching the room. (I also have a couple spares.)

Hornady CS is really pretty good about getting you back up and running in short order and providing you spare parts to take care of the 'just in case' factor.

On Saturday I received another new powder measure stop for my second machine, they didn't charge me for either one. I'm not sure you could realistically expect better service or support than that.

Jack

Glock XIX
01-17-2011, 14:00
On Saturday I received another new powder measure stop for my second machine, they didn't charge me for either one. I'm not sure you could realistically expect better service or support than that.

Must be nice. I got mine on Friday and they charged me $12.50 with ship & hand. :dunno:

DoctaGlockta
01-17-2011, 14:07
Now I use a needle nose pliers... takes about two seconds... much quicker than searching the room. (I also have a couple spares.)

Jack

I use needle nose pliers too. They allow you to pull back the spring much easier/farther which makes for much fun when it slips.

I'll find it when I clean the garage sometime.

Art

Hoser
01-17-2011, 14:17
He mentioned the fact that Dillon will rebuild any of their machines, (1050 being the exception) for life at a very nominal amount.

I drop off one of my 1050s every Spring for a check-up. It shows back up at my house a couple weeks later all clean and happy. Never been billed.

DoctaGlockta
01-17-2011, 14:20
I've been using those 'crummy Ruskie' primers since then and I haven't broken anything. A mere coincidence... I think not.

BTW... if you ever come north of Castle Rock I'm going to have you shot, beaten to a pulp and arrested... in that order.

Jack
That reminds me when I talked to Hornady customer service today and was explaining to the gentleman that I'm a little slow and still haven't got my primer system working on the LNL the first thing he said to me was...

"You aren't using Wolf Primers are you?"

I guess they think that Wolf Primers are in issue.

dudel
01-17-2011, 16:49
"You aren't using Wolf Primers are you?"

I guess they think that Wolf Primers are in issue.

Of course they are. Now Hornady says so as well. :whistling: