OK to leave powder in press? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OK to leave powder in press?

wrx04
10-18-2010, 17:19
Is it OK to leave the powder in the press funnel or do you dump it back in the original container as soon as you are done loading? I only have one type of powder in the house, so mixing powders isnt an issue.

Secondly, and this seems like a dumb question, but how do you empty the unused powder from the dillon 550? Do you loosen the two allen-head screws and lift out the whole assembly (minus the die), or does the funnel itself come out separately?

IndyGunFreak
10-18-2010, 17:23
Is it OK to leave the powder in the press funnel or do you dump it back in the original container as soon as you are done loading? I only have one type of powder in the house, so mixing powders isnt an issue.

I don't think there's any particular reason not to(especially if you're only using 1 powder measure. I just don't like leaving it...

Secondly, and this seems like a dumb question, but how do you empty the unused powder from the dillon 550? Do you loosen the two allen-head screws and lift out the whole assembly (minus the die), or does the funnel itself come out separately?

I don't use the Dillon Powder Measure, but I have a good understanding of how it works, and that is exactly what i would do.

IGF

rangersniper308
10-18-2010, 17:29
I don't.. humidity / etc is bad on powder...

unless I am going to load tomorrow... I take it out

Jon_R
10-18-2010, 17:34
It depends on the conditions of the area you reload in. If it is dry it should not be an issue. If it is humid / damp then it will likely cause issues.

To dump your powder on a 550 remove the two bolts holding it on (Clamp / Bracket Screw). You will need to maneuver some to get the powder reset rod out of the slotted bellcrank without dumping the powder on the floor. From there just take the top off and pour it into the original container. Once you have dumped it turn it back over and cycle it a few times by hand and it will drop some more powder. Pending your powder container a plastic funnel might be nice to have.

XDRoX
10-18-2010, 17:35
Unless you live in a pineapple under the sea leaving powder in the press is fine. Won't hurt a thing except change the color of the plastic. So if you don't want the color to change, then you should empty it.

I do not loosen the screws to take it out. I pull the two pins out of the head and slide the whole head out and pour it back into the container.

This is just easier for me because I'm usually switching the whole head anyways.

Boxerglocker
10-18-2010, 17:36

It's not a big issue to leave it in, provided the area it is left in is climate controlled, some powders will discolor the plastic tube though… more than a week at a time and I dump it back in a jar.

How you described is exactly how you remove unused powder from the measure, don't forget to actuate the slide by hand a couple of times to get out what's in the slide cavity.

wrx04
10-18-2010, 17:40
Cool. Thanks guys.

Sonnytoo
10-18-2010, 17:46
Modern powders are nitrocellulose, and this is basically a plastic. They are not hygroscopic and do NOT readily absorb water from the air. The "old" gunpowder, aka BLACKpowder is very susceptible to dampness but that's kind of old school, except for our good folks who like blackpowder sports.
:)
Sonnytoo

Jim Watson
10-18-2010, 17:52
Some grades of powder will attack the cheap plastic in powder measures a lot more than just yellowing it. If in doubt, dump.

njl
10-18-2010, 17:57
And I've found it easier to pull the pins and remove the entire tool head to dump the powder back into the jug from which it came.

Colorado4Wheel
10-18-2010, 17:58
To dump the powder.....

Remove the toolhead and flip it all over. Easy.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 18:23
Modern powders are nitrocellulose, and this is basically a plastic. They are not hygroscopic and do NOT readily absorb water from the air. The "old" gunpowder, aka BLACKpowder is very susceptible to dampness but that's kind of old school, except for our good folks who like blackpowder sports.
Sonnytoo

:woohoo: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jack :whistling:

Firecop203
10-18-2010, 19:01
If it's just overnight and I'm reloading again the next day, I leave it in there. If it's going to be awhile before I reload again, I empty it out.

njl
10-18-2010, 19:20
To dump the powder.....

Remove the toolhead and flip it all over. Easy.

And cycle the powder bar a couple of times..some likes to get stuck in there.

I find a big funnel makes the process easier.

lethal tupperwa
10-18-2010, 19:35
if you use more than 1 powder

make sure to lable what is in the measure

so that you know next time

and

don't empty it into the wrong container.

pangloss9
10-18-2010, 19:43
I believe some powders photodegrade. I always empty mine back into the can.

njl
10-18-2010, 19:43
Another reason to keep the jug on the bench next to the press...and dump back into it when you're done.

When I got started with reloading, I thought I'd have just one pistol powder (Universal), but have quickly ended up with 3 (Universal, Clays, WST).

WiskyT
10-18-2010, 19:48
Sonnytoo

Smokeless powder is hygroscopic. Some smokeless powders are specifically made to be non-hygroscopic.

I leave powder in my measure all the time. I keep the resevoir cover on and cover the press/measure with an opaque plastic bag to keep sunlight off of it.

Zombie Steve
10-18-2010, 20:35
I don't.. humidity / etc is bad on powder...

unless I am going to load tomorrow... I take it out

Jack - what's this "humidity" this guy's talking about? Wait... I just looked it up. Apparently, there are places in the world that have moisture suspended in the air.

Shall I use the "f" word? :whistling:

Flatlander!!! :supergrin:

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 20:41
Jack - what's this "humidity" this guy's talking about? Wait... I just looked it up. Apparently, there are places in the world that have moisture suspended in the air.

Shall I use the "f" word? :whistling:

Flatlander!!! :supergrin:

Some people are just doomed to a dull, boring and insignificant life. It is truly a pity.

Jack

Zombie Steve
10-18-2010, 20:50
Every once in a while, you should let loose and tell us how you really feel Jack.

PCJim
10-18-2010, 21:23
Another 550b user who pulls the toolhead pins, disconnects the powder bar linkage rod and pours the powder. Work the powder bar until no more powder is dispensed. You don't want any residual BE intermixed in a 2400 charge.

Jack, you keep putting us flatlanders down. That's fine. While you're stuck looking at heavy coats on those women braving the snow, I'll be watching them in attires more appropriate for temps in the high 70's.:tongueout:

Zombie Steve
10-18-2010, 21:29
They's more likely to want to get close when they're cold.

GioaJack
10-18-2010, 21:31
Jack, you keep putting us flatlanders down. That's fine. While you're stuck looking at heavy coats on those women braving the snow, I'll be watching them in attires more appropriate for temps in the high 70's.:tongueout:

A lot of good it's gonna do ya, you're in love with your wife, (I envy you for that), all you're gonna do is look and drool.

I, on the other hand can take advantage of all the lonely ski bunnies decked out in their $1000 parkas just dreaming of meeting a real mountain man.

It's a grueling life but someone has to do it. (I hope they don't step on my oxygen hose with their ski boots. :ack:

Jack

hoffy
10-18-2010, 22:00
Unless you have a really nice climate controlled environment , dump it. I have seen many powder measures hoppers etched over the years-with smokless powder. My bench is in a dungeon like basement, rust is a constant battle(but the ladies of the house are afraid to go down there, a good place to go hide when the estrogen gets too thick). I have accumulated at least three uniflows over the years, all but my original bought new in the '70s had etched hoppers, which I replaced(I got the used ones dirt cheap when I worked at a gun shop years ago). I did it too myself this time, left some titegroup in a new quick change uniflow, just below the top of the baffle, since June, and no etching, but canned air wont budge it, will have to pull baffle and use a bottle brush. On the measures I tried that were etched, powder stuck to it making change overs a pain.

It is my fault, I forgot the titegroup was in there, I broke my arm in march, and loaded enough to last me till last weekend, when I needed some 10mm rounds. My arm got good enough to ride my motorcycle, and I have gallons of 45ACP, so I haven't loaded since June(this is what I do, even though I love loading, I do it in bursts where in a few weeks I will load enough for a few months(10-15k handgun loads, 2-4 k rifle usually), deer season will be coming and half dozen or so of my buddies use ammo I tailored for their guns, so I want to get that done too. I wander, damp basement-dump it back. I didn't have a useful quantity left, and am going to burn up some bullseye now, so I did not "take care of it later" as I intended to.

PCJim
10-18-2010, 22:06
A lot of good it's gonna do ya, you're in love with your wife, (I envy you for that), all you're gonna do is look and drool.

I, on the other hand can take advantage of all the lonely ski bunnies decked out in their $1000 parkas just dreaming of meeting a real mountain man.

It's a grueling life but someone has to do it. (I hope they don't step on my oxygen hose with their ski boots. :ack:

Jack

Party pooper.....

Uncle Don
10-19-2010, 05:40
Unless you live in a pineapple under the sea leaving powder in the press is fine. Won't hurt a thing except change the color of the plastic. So if you don't want the color to change, then you should empty it.

Totally agree - I was relegated to the garage when we moved into this house about 10 years ago. It's humid in the Summer and I almost never empty unless I'm going to change powders. Never had a hint of a problem.

MrOldLude
10-19-2010, 08:01
I generally don't leave it out of the sealed container for more than a couple days. It's probably fine, but the less opportunities for variation I invite in, the better.

freakshow10mm
10-19-2010, 08:12
I write the load data on a 3x5 index card and rubber band it to the powder measure.

For 9mm I use two powders so I leave it in until I change powder. For .45 ACP I use only one powder so I leave it in the whole time.

32dgrz
10-19-2010, 15:51
I write the load data on a 3x5 index card and rubber band it to the powder measure.

Great Idea. Thanks

Bello
10-19-2010, 16:39
i leave the powder in my measures also, and my reloading equip is in my basement no big deal imho

dudel
10-19-2010, 16:58
Powders with high nitro content will degrade the plastic. Keeping powder in the hopper is not the best way to store it. Note that the powder comes in a sealed, dark container. The hopper is neither.

lucky-gunner
10-19-2010, 17:07
Unless I'm planning on getting back into reloading the next morning. I dump mine over. Part of it is just wanting to limit any possible issues. The other is that I like to go through the setup each time so I know there is not an issue later. I know myself, and this has worked for me. That and I prefer to keep my plastic from getting discolored.

shotgunred
10-19-2010, 17:13
I leave mine in as long as I going to load some more of the same round. I just put masking tape with the powder and gr on the powder tube.
My tube has changed color though.

GioaJack
10-19-2010, 17:20
Seeing a discolored powder measure is pretty much the highlight of my day. :crying:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
10-19-2010, 17:21
Only nitro powders will discolor it. I don't dump mine.

n2extrm
10-19-2010, 18:02
I leave powder in the measure on my Dillon as long as the tool head is on the press. I do mark it with a piece of paper and a rubber band. Never had an issue with any of them. My oldest measure is discolored, the newer ones are fine.

I also leave the cardboard wrapper from the primer pack on the primer magazine if there are primers in the press. Keeps me from forgetting what I was doing or using last.

Bello
10-19-2010, 18:29
Powders with high nitro content will degrade the plastic. Keeping powder in the hopper is not the best way to store it. Note that the powder comes in a sealed, dark container. The hopper is neither.

i honestly dont think that has anything to do with it.

p.s. when i was younger i used to work at a plastic bag factory and when we changed any bags to any color besides black it always costs more in color change i think black is just the cheapest but then again it might not have a relevance to the powder theory!

dudel
10-20-2010, 17:47
i honestly dont think that has anything to do with it.

Sorry, but that's the chemistry of propellants. Get a book called "Propellant Profiles", and read up on it. High nitro content propellants attack plastic. It's a fact.

http://www.amazon.com/Propellant-Profiles-Revised-Expanded-Publishing/dp/1879356775/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287618396&sr=8-1