Hornady Ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Ammo?

Shenron
10-19-2010, 15:40
I have a Glock 22 RTF and I work as a armed Security Officer. I usually carry Winchester Ranger T-Series in 165gr.

The other day I stumbled across the Hornady's Website and their XTP and Critical Defense ammo really caught my eye.

I was set on the Critical Defense ammo because the concept seems solid and the grain matches what I am used to shooting. So I was going to by a case but then I started to read that they are prone to misfires and have some serious feeding problems. Is this true?

Should I go with the XTP's or a different round from a different company?

Thanks in advance.

BadAndy
10-19-2010, 15:49
I haven't shot any .40 XTPs but the ones I've loaded for my 9 have all fed well and have decent penetration and expansion. Hornady makes great bullets.

DocKWL
10-19-2010, 16:43
I have a Glock 22 RTF and I work as a armed Security Officer. I usually carry Winchester Ranger T-Series in 165gr.

The other day I stumbled across the Hornady's Website and their XTP and Critical Defense ammo really caught my eye.

I was set on the Critical Defense ammo because the concept seems solid and the grain matches what I am used to shooting. So I was going to by a case but then I started to read that they are prone to misfires and have some serious feeding problems. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Read THIS (http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm) for information on the Critical Defense line of ammunition. As an opinion, I like the XTP.

Shenron
10-19-2010, 22:28
Wow, well that information answers that! I am glad I found that out before I placed my order. So I am kind of stuck. The Hornady 155gr. ammo was not listed in the preferred list. Is there opinions out there?

I guess here are my new options;

Hornady XTP 155gr.

Federal HST 180gr. (How does the 165 perform?)

Barnes/Corbon DPX 155gr.

SDGlock23
10-20-2010, 09:26
Go for the 180gr XTP, the XTP lineup is excellent.

HST's are great (I like 180's best), and so are Winchester Rangers (165 & 180)

Shenron
10-20-2010, 21:05
Thanks for all of the imput.

I checked out the XTP 180gr. and the 155gr. and I noticed the 155gr. has a lot more Velocity and like 30 more foot pounds.

I have always been a Velocity guy over the bigger heavier bullet, via I carry the Winchester Ranger-T series in the 165gr.

What is the benfit of a heavier bullet verse more foot pounds and velocity?

CanyonMan
10-20-2010, 21:15
Bud,

Just the palin 180gr XTP's. NOT the CD stuff. But the 180gr XTP's. Good stuff and deep penetration. This 'heavier bullet" has more mometum on impact, and will give you better penetration. If it does not get to where it needs to be, then what good is it. ;) Don't buy in to the "rapid expansion garbage," this could get ya hurt. You want a bullet that penetrates. None of theseopen worth a rip anyway but the rapid expanders will get less penetration, and that is not good.....

180gr XTP's , 180gr PDX1 from winchester.

Stay safe !

CM

GunFighter45ACP
10-21-2010, 09:30
One thing I will say about Hornady is that their stuff is accurate. Probably consistent, too. As far as which bullet weight, etc., & I know it can be difficult to find ammo & a good price these days, but I tend to stick with and recommend whichever one is the most accurate out of your particular weapon. Sure, I'd like to carry the biggest & heaviest JHP in caliber that I can find, but if my accuracy suffers w/it when compared to a lighter variety, then I'm probably going to go a little lighter.

cowboy1964
10-21-2010, 10:31
Read THIS (http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/main.htm) for information on the Critical Defense line of ammunition. As an opinion, I like the XTP.

Between that and the few tests I've seen online I'm not using CD. There's too many better choices.

Shenron
10-23-2010, 19:53
What is the general opinion about Remington Golden Sabre 180gr. and Federal HST 180 gr.?

DocKWL
10-23-2010, 21:13
What is the general opinion about Remington Golden Sabre 180gr. and Federal HST 180 gr.?

THIS (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887), THIS (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34714), and THIS (http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm) should be read and re-read regularly.

DRT
10-24-2010, 06:52

Thanks in advance.

Neither of the Hornady choices you are considering are as good as what you are currently carrying.

SIGShooter
10-24-2010, 12:31
What is wrong with your current choice?

My personal opinion is you can't beat the Ranger design. Out of all of my testing I've done, the Ranger's have been the most consistent in every test in regards to velocity, penetration, expansion and construction.

I have issues with Hornady's ammunition in the fact that they list velocities that I cannot reach even in the same exact platform of gun. It's usually lower velocity than stated. Penetration is definite king when it comes to the XTP bullet as is accuracy. However, that's about it.

I think you would be much better on getting a bonded Ranger or even Gold Dot.

Just my .02

DLL9mm
10-24-2010, 12:43
Neither of the Hornady choices you are considering are as good as what you are currently carrying.

+1. Stick with the Rangers.

Ak.Hiker
10-24-2010, 13:05
I like the Hornady 155 grain XTP in 40 S&W. I prefer the XTP design for SD because I like the fact that they are disigned to penetrate deep and they feed like a FMJ. The reason I went with the 155 is that it gives me similar velocity to a 158 grain JHP in a short barreled 357 Magnum with 15 rounds of ammo in the magazine. I use the 180 XTP in my 10mm for SD. In penetration testing I did find that the 155 XTP in 40 S&W was able to penetrate similar to the JHP 357 Magnum bullets with all of the exposed lead. If I need more penetration I can load 180 grain TMJ's under the XTP's in the same magazine. However if your current carry load runs good in your Glock why change?

Shenron
10-26-2010, 18:47
I will see if I can get my hands on the Winchester Ranger T-Series in the 180gr. for my 40.(I currently use the 165, I think I have like 300 rounds left)

If I cannot, what is the general census of Remington Golden Saber Bonded in the 180gr. for the 40? I know I can get those for pretty cheap.

BadAndy
10-27-2010, 05:41
If I cannot, what is the general census of Remington Golden Saber Bonded in the 180gr. for the 40? I know I can get those for pretty cheap.

Golden Sabers are good bullets.

NDCent
10-27-2010, 06:06
Why fix what isn't broken? SGAMMO has all the Ranger T-Series your little heart could desire.

fredj338
10-27-2010, 13:05
I'm not sold on the CD line yet, I would have to see more street results. The XTP line is good ammo though, old school, but the bulelts don't fragment & give adequate expansion while giving great penetration.