What is one computer program/os/trick I SHOULD be using?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is one computer program/os/trick I SHOULD be using??

GlockSupremacy
10-19-2010, 17:57
After my recent cat 5 noob question, I am wondering what else I should know about computers that I missed along the way. I have built computers etc but have logic gaps.

I recently tried ubuntu (again) on a laptop and i love it this time! I am going to start messing with wine for power point and what not to ween off windows.

For windows I have 7-zip, a bunch of power toys,tab mix plus, fox it reader, VLC etc. That make windows a good experience.

What else should I try!? Windows or Linux?

IndyGunFreak
10-19-2010, 18:00
Even better, use Ubuntu, and setup Windows in a Virtual OS, when you need Powerpoint, Fire up XP, do your stuff, then shut down Windows, all while never leaving Linux.

IGF

Slug71
10-19-2010, 18:22
Doesnt OpenOffice have a PowerPoint alternative?

Try Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Fedora too. Heck try Linux Mint also.

IndyGunFreak makes a very good suggestion too. You can even install Mac OSX in a Virtual box.

Slug71
10-19-2010, 18:22
Maybe try PC BSD too.

kc8ykd
10-19-2010, 19:32
i don't consider any question to really be a noob question, everybody's gotta learn somehow, and the best way is to do what you did and ask.

i like the suggestions above and would only really add, that no matter what operating system you use, give firefox or chrome a try. and, install the adblock and noscript addons.

if you settle on using windows, even in a virtual environment, get some sort of antivirus program, avg and avast are two good free ones (and there's a third i can never remember the name of, hopefully someone will chime in with it for me).

edit:
thanks GIockGuy24, Avira was the other a/v program i couldn't think of. i totally second the revo and security essentials suggestions too.

i'll have to check out IZArc, i kinda stopped looking after i switched from winrar to 7zip many moons ago.

GIockGuy24
10-19-2010, 20:06
Avira Antivir is one of the best and fastest, lightest anti virus programs. Microsoft now has Security Essentials for free which is an excellent anti virus program. A good behavioral protection program is PC Tools Threatfire. It will give a pop up ad once a week to buy the complete security suite but that isn't needed. Threatfire works with the any of the anti virus programs.

Ccleaner is a good drive cleaner and registry cleaner.

Extract Now or IZArc are good compressed archive extractors. IZArc handles more types than Extract Now including the Alcohol formats. Extract Now might be a bit easier to use but neither is difficult.

I use TUGZip instead of 7-zip but they are similar.

Revo Uninstaller for uninstalling old programs or updating them cleanly.

Mozilla Firefox with NoScript, AdBlock Plus, BetterPrivacy, BrowserMasquerade and BitDefender QuickScan add-ons.

DoubleWide
10-19-2010, 22:07
When I used Linux, my setup was to install a base debian install then use nano to add repositories then use apt to install kde base, synaptic, and some nvidia stuff. You get a clean install with a gui. You can use synaptic to quickly install any programs you like.

Linux3
10-20-2010, 19:47
If you've just installed Ubuntu I suggest you go here:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Maverick

Try 1 or 2 of everything. Plus you just have to have a rotating cube display. Wrap a running video around a corner and rotate the cube slowly.

Games!
Get wine working and configure Samba to access a Windows system.
Ya gotta play with Blender!

And the list goes on and on.