RRA AR15 1:8 twist barrel, what .223 ammo. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RRA AR15 1:8 twist barrel, what .223 ammo.

Dbuck
10-20-2010, 07:56
I have a RRA AR15 with a stainless steel 1:8 twist barrel in .223. What would be a good ammunition weight to use in my rifle? Could you give me a range that should work well?
Thanks!
D

Constructor
10-25-2010, 01:44
An 8 twist will shoot anything from 35-80gr.
For Varmints try 55gr Nosler ballistic tips, for accuracy 69gr SMKs from Black Hills or federal.
55gr fmjs work fine for blasting but not much else, Winchester White box usually shoots better than the rest in my experience.

Dbuck
10-28-2010, 15:52
An 8 twist will shoot anything from 35-80gr.
For Varmints try 55gr Nosler ballistic tips, for accuracy 69gr SMKs from Black Hills or federal.
55gr fmjs work fine for blasting but not much else, Winchester White box usually shoots better than the rest in my experience.

With this stainless steel match grade RRA barrel, should I do anything to break it in or just shoot it?
Thanks!,
D

Constructor
10-31-2010, 18:43
The biggest thing about treating a new barrel right is keeping the copper fouling out of the barrel until it has time to burnish. The microscopic pores in the barrel need to fill with carbon, and the rough edges need to smooth out, it can't do that if copper is covering the sharp edges.
The new rough edges in the bore will grab bits of copper off the bullet as it passes, the next bullet deposits more and more until copper covers the entire bore if you don't clean the copper out before it has a chance to build up.

You could use Tubbs final finish to shorten the time it takes to burnish the bore.
You could shoot a few rounds and then clean the bore from the breech end only, shoot a few more and clean, shoot a few more and clean. That takes a while and is a pain, some do it some don't.
Or you could just shoot the crap out of it and then clean it with a good foaming copper cleaner when you get home from the range. It may take longer to burnish so it may copper foul for a longer period of time but as long as you remove the copper(patch will come out white instead of blue when clean) it will eventually smooth out and stop collecting copper.

Real match grade barrels are lapped and should not copper foul much however I have seen some act like sand paper and are covered with copper from end to end after only 20 shots.