Which of these semi-customs would YOU buy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which of these semi-customs would YOU buy?

ajgranda
10-20-2010, 15:24
Hey everyone,

Still waiting on my Wilson 5" CQB (6-8 more weeks). Anyway, I'm already thinking of my next 1911 (Spring '11). Definitely looking for a 4-4.25" bobtailed commander. I really don't have a preference on barrels (bushing vs bull). My choices are down to WC Professional Bobtail, EB Executive Carry or SF Carry, NHC Talon 2 Bobtail and NHC Predator 2 Bobtail. Of these choices, which would you choose and why? Thanks for your advice.

Quack
10-20-2010, 15:44
i chose the Brown.
i was also looking at the Professional bobtail, but comparing the 2, the Brown felt smoother, had a better trigger, and i like the GenIII better than the Armor Tuff coating.
The Professional was also ~$400 more than Brown, which i could not justify the extra cost for a gun that wasn't (IMO) as nice.

drc767
10-20-2010, 15:59
Of those listed......I like the Wilson Professional. I have a couple Professional Bobtails (one in .38 Super and a Supergrade .45) and they are a solid build. Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the Guncrafter No Name Commander Bobtail? I would put it right up there or above all of the pistols mentioned.

Hokie1911
10-20-2010, 16:08
I'd say Brown EC...or you may want to also consider something unique. Guncrafter No Name commander bobtail. Alex will build it however you want it and I can't say I've seen anything but 5", except for Joe's commander HC roundbooty. :supergrin:

Just read Dave's post after I typed this. :rofl:

GVFlyer
10-20-2010, 17:34
Hey everyone,

Still waiting on my Wilson 5" CQB (6-8 more weeks). Anyway, I'm already thinking of my next 1911 (Spring '11). Definitely looking for a 4-4.25" bobtailed commander. I really don't have a preference on barrels (bushing vs bull). My choices are down to WC Professional Bobtail, EB Executive Carry or SF Carry, NHC Talon 2 Bobtail and NHC Predator 2 Bobtail. Of these choices, which would you choose and why? Thanks for your advice.

I'd chose the Ed Brown Kobra Carry. It's distinctive checkering is unique, makes it look like a custom and Ed brown invented the Bob-Tail (Nighthawk uses them).

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/xm813/BrownKC.jpg?t=1287659343

Cerebrus
10-20-2010, 17:36
Actually none of whats listed.. not a single one really makes me want one..

Quack
10-20-2010, 17:38
Actually none of whats listed.. not a single one really makes me want one..

so a Kimber Super Carry for you :tongueout:

Cerebrus
10-20-2010, 17:42
so a Kimber Super Carry for you :tongueout:

Nah either a GC NN or a Springfield Pro.. or mebbe even a Baer SRP.. those I really like..

Quack
10-20-2010, 17:45
Nah either a GC NN or a Springfield Pro.. or mebbe even a Baer SRP.. those I really like..

did you read the OP's post? he's looking for a commander size bobtail.

Cerebrus
10-20-2010, 17:47
did you read the OP's post? he's looking for a commander size bobtail.

I did.. which is why I said I would not buy any of em..

thecableguy
10-20-2010, 17:47
I went with the Professional although my next one is going to be either a GC NN or EB KC.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu83/mannyrosa/IMG_0224_11.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu83/mannyrosa/IMG_0223_1.jpg

Quack
10-20-2010, 17:48
I did.. which is why I said I would not buy any of em..

that was helpful then :dunno:

Cerebrus
10-20-2010, 17:51
that was helpful then :dunno:

Wasn't tryin to be helpful either.. just snarky.. too many hrs in a classroom with tree huggers will do that to ya..

GVFlyer
10-20-2010, 17:56
Mission accomplished!

ajgranda
10-20-2010, 17:57
Thanks for your responses so far. I've read about the "No Name" but never really considered it for some reason. Maybe because it's a small shop and a new model. The "No Name" Bobtailed Commander looks like a possibility though. I like its no frills look along with the Melonite finish and serrations on top of the slide. It's priced just above an EB EC, less than any of the Bobtailed Nighthawks and about the same as the Wilson Combat Professional.:dunno:

drc767
10-20-2010, 18:43
Thanks for your responses so far. I've read about the "No Name" but never really considered it for some reason. Maybe because it's a small shop and a new model. The "No Name" Bobtailed Commander looks like a possibility though. I like its no frills look along with the Melonite finish and serrations on top of the slide. It's priced just above an EB EC, less than any of the Bobtailed Nighthawks and about the same as the Wilson Combat Professional.:dunno:

The NN can be had for less than a Wilson Pro. It really is worth a look. It is a superb pistol for the money.

Hokie1911
10-20-2010, 18:54
The NN can be had for less than a Wilson Pro. It really is worth a look. It is a superb pistol for the money.

Hey Dave...has Alex done any other commanders aside from Joe's? I've never seen one, much less a bobtail.

HAIL CAESAR
10-20-2010, 19:05
If I had to pick out of that list it would be the EB EC.

Tactical black
10-20-2010, 19:08
I would choose either of the Ed Brown EC or SF Carry

Goldendog Redux
10-20-2010, 19:20
Ed Brown without hesitation.

rsxr22
10-20-2010, 19:33
I like the WC and EB equally. I couldnt pick one, id get both

drc767
10-20-2010, 19:51
Hey Dave...has Alex done any other commanders aside from Joe's? I've never seen one, much less a bobtail.

I have a Commander BT that I ordered for a customer that should be here shortly after Joe's. I will post pictures. I am kind of curious, myself....

jsykes
10-20-2010, 20:05
None, I'd get a Fusion cause you never know what you might get so its a surprise. You might get serrations or a color, or a trigger or hammer you didnt ask for and by the time you get it, you'll be so happy to get it, you'll thank BS and think its the best thing ever and wont mind waiting a little longer for it to be fixed, saying the CS is wonderful. Total win!

Tactical black
10-20-2010, 20:13
None, I'd get a Fusion cause you never know what you might get so its a surprise. You might get serrations or a color, or a trigger or hammer you didnt ask for and by the time you get it, you'll be so happy to get it, you'll thank BS and think its the best thing ever and wont mind waiting a little longer for it to be fixed, saying the CS is wonderful. Total win!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hokie1911
10-20-2010, 20:24
I have a Commander BT that I ordered for a customer that should be here shortly after Joe's. I will post pictures. I am kind of curious, myself....

Cool. Can't wait to see pics.

Best post I have seen in a long time. Well played, sir.

:bowdown:

bac1023
10-20-2010, 22:16
Wasn't tryin to be helpful either.. just snarky.. too many hrs in a classroom with tree huggers will do that to ya..

:rofl::rofl:

lawdog734
10-20-2010, 22:19
I have a full size no name I bought off of drc. It is by far my favorite gun that I own.

bac1023
10-20-2010, 22:38
I really like the Nighthawk bobtails, to be honest. :)

BlayGlock
10-22-2010, 08:24
NHC with Black Diamond of Hard Chrome Finish.

glock2740
10-22-2010, 08:40
I went with the Professional although my next one is going to be either a GC NN or EB KC.

This is one of 2 of my next 1911 choices. Good looking gun. :thumbsup: I'm on the fence between a Wilson Professional bobtail or the GC No Name Commander in Melonite, that Alex built, that's an exact twin of my hardchromed GC NN Commander that he's finishing right now, that also happens to have consecutive serial numbers. VERY tough decision. I'm sure Dave's advice is to just suck it up and get both. :) That would be awesome, but pretty expensive...:whistling: Decisions decisions...:dunno:

Hokie1911
10-22-2010, 08:59
This is one of 2 of my next 1911 choices. Good looking gun. :thumbsup: I'm on the fence between a Wilson Professional bobtail or the GC No Name Commander in Melonite, that Alex built, that's an exact twin of my hardchromed GC NN Commander that he's finishing right now, that also happens to have consecutive serial numbers. VERY tough decision. I'm sure Dave's advice is to just suck it up and get both. :) That would be awesome, but pretty expensive...:whistling: Decisions decisions...:dunno:

How about a Melonite NN commander bobtail?

glock2740
10-22-2010, 09:35
How about a Melonite NN commander bobtail?
By the time that Dave had heard from Alex that he had built a twin of mine, except in Melonite, it was too late (or so we think), to get it bobtailed. Dave is looking into it, but hasn't heard for sure as of yet I don't think.

asiparks
10-22-2010, 11:25
I picked up a Wilson LWT Bobtail:

http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100347/DSCN0030/web.jpg

I would have probably gone with the GG NN bobtail, except that the feature set, (features, not quality), would be exactly the same as my custom melonited CBOB and the Wilsons lightweight frame was appealing:

http://homepage.mac.com/asiparks/.Pictures/45%27s/IMG_0943.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/asiparks/.Pictures/45%27s/IMG_0908.jpg

Everything on the Wilson seems very well put together and the action is ridiculously smooth. I'm not a big fan of the Wilson bull barrel and open plug design, I'd prefer a regular bushing and GI set up. I'm also not that thrilled with the Armor Tuff, it's a bit shiny and slick and already showing some high spot wear after maybe 2 dozen presentations from my VMII. As soon as the finish gets tatty it's off to IonBond for a matte black finish.

I do like the extra stippling Wilson does on the bobtail, I can feel the extra traction, but it doesn't catch or snag clothing, seems like a worthwhile mod...

http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100347/DSCN0034/web.jpg

Hokie1911
10-22-2010, 11:54
Damn. That CBOB is slicker than K-Y.

drc767
10-22-2010, 11:54
By the time that Dave had heard from Alex that he had built a twin of mine, except in Melonite, it was too late (or so we think), to get it bobtailed. Dave is looking into it, but hasn't heard for sure as of yet I don't think.

Nope.....they are both finished. Alex said he would try to get me a couple pictures this weekend. They are identical, except for the sister pistol was done in Melonite. I should have your HC Commander next week. I will keep it here and stare at it for a week or two until I send it to your FFL.... just to piss you off. :) Hell, I may even take it out and let my wife shoot it a bit.........:whistling:

Hokie1911
10-22-2010, 11:55
Nope.....they are both finished. Alex said he would try to get me a couple pictures this weekend. They are identical, except for the sister pistol was done in Melonite. I should have Joe's HC Commander next week. I will keep it here and stare at it for a week or two until I send it to Joe's FFL.... just to piss him off. :)

Good thinking. You should take it out and put a couple hundred rounds through it to.....ummm, you know....make sure it works.

drc767
10-22-2010, 12:03

I love the Professional BT, but it drives me absolutely crazy to see that Wilson does not offer them with a flush fit mag. What is the sense of getting a pistol bobtailed if you have a half inch mag base extended on the bottom of the pistol? I use flush fit Tripp mags on all my bobtails.....Wilson should at least send them out with the low profile base plate. That standard profile plate is just plain useless on a BT frame, IMHO.

drc767
10-22-2010, 12:04
Good thinking. You should take it out and put a couple hundred rounds through it to.....ummm, you know....make sure it works.

Nah.....I will let my ol' lady do it.....that way I know for a fact it works with a limp wrist when Joe gets it.......LMAO!!!

asiparks
10-22-2010, 12:13
I love the Professional BT, but it drives me absolutely crazy to see that Wilson does not offer them with a flush fit mag. What is the sense of getting a pistol bobtailed if you have a half inch mag base extended on the bottom of the pistol? I use flush fit Tripp mags on all my bobtails.....Wilson should at least send them out with the low profile base plate. That standard profile plate is just plain useless on a BT frame, IMHO.

^ this ^
I use either CMCor Kimber Pro mags.

glock2740
10-22-2010, 12:30
Nope.....they are both finished. Alex said he would try to get me a couple pictures this weekend. They are identical, except for the sister pistol was done in Melonite. I should have your HC Commander next week. I will keep it here and stare at it for a week or two until I send it to your FFL.... just to piss you off. :) Hell, I may even take it out and let my wife shoot it a bit.........:whistling:

Nah.....I will let my ol' lady do it.....that way I know for a fact it works with a limp wrist when Joe gets it.......LMAO!!!
You can't beat that kind of quality customer service folks. That's a dealer that goes the extra mile. :thumbsup:

:rofl:

Hokie1911
10-22-2010, 12:39

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thecableguy
10-22-2010, 12:54

I agree. I am planning on using flush fit mags when I get it.

TXFF
10-22-2010, 19:03
Glock2740, if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you place your order for your NN? I've got one on order that should be getting close and wanted to see how long yours will end up taking.

glock2740
10-22-2010, 19:18
Glock2740, if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you place your order for your NN? I've got one on order that should be getting close and wanted to see how long yours will end up taking.
I want to say it was in July sometime. I ordered it through drc767. Great guy to deal with.

TXFF
10-22-2010, 19:40
Mine was ordered at the end of June. Got to be getting close. I might even let myself start to get excited now. :supergrin:

bac1023
10-22-2010, 20:30
Damn. That CBOB is slicker than K-Y.

:rofl:

bac1023
10-22-2010, 20:35
The Nighthawk Predator II bobtail is a great shooter. :supergrin:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/025.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/028.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_3668.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_3669.jpg

ratrodfink
10-22-2010, 23:36

Damn that's pretty!

asiparks
10-25-2010, 00:02
The Nighthawk Predator II bobtail is a great shooter. :supergrin:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/025.jpg

well tasty !

ambluemax
10-25-2010, 12:42
Ed Brown wins in the style department for me- Exec Carry would be my choice

IDPA_Shooter
10-28-2010, 19:54
I have a Dan Wesson CBOB from when they were less than $1k. It is very nice, but I do not like the smooth mainspring housing. Will replace with snake skin some day.

At the current price I would go to Ed Brown first, then Wilson. Fusion and Nighthawk finish the bobtail with a sharp angle that to me defeats the original purpose of the bobtail!

I also like the grip on the new Kimber Super Carry. Gun is a little busy but it does not bother me.

I like best the job that Harrison Custom does on his bobtails, but this is a whole higher level of cost and delivery time. Search Bobtail on the better 1911 forums to see examples.

custom2
10-28-2010, 20:22
Ed Brown. I think they are the only company that I would want to BUY a 1911 from, period. I could build a gun for under 1500 that can compete with 2500 dollar guns.

What I like about Brown is, you get what you need and nothing you don't. Quality parts and craftsmanship from a leader in the industry. Plus, they look great. Most models are closer to 2k than 3k and I think anything over 2k in the "semi custom" category is just nonsense. I build guns for a living and I can't see why someone would pay over 2k for a firearm. Before people come down on me for that, I know why some guns cost more. Quality, Time spent, yadda yadda. I didn't say they weren't worth it. I said I don't understand why someone would PAY that.

Anyway, thats what I think you should get. EB Kobra Karry.

Quack
10-28-2010, 20:50
Ed Brown. I think they are the only company that I would want to BUY a 1911 from, period. I could build a gun for under 1500 that can compete with 2500 dollar guns.

What I like about Brown is, you get what you need and nothing you don't. Quality parts and craftsmanship from a leader in the industry. Plus, they look great. Most models are closer to 2k than 3k and I think anything over 2k in the "semi custom" category is just nonsense. I build guns for a living and I can't see why someone would pay over 2k for a firearm. Before people come down on me for that, I know why some guns cost more. Quality, Time spent, yadda yadda. I didn't say they weren't worth it. I said I don't understand why someone would PAY that.

Anyway, thats what I think you should get. EB Kobra Karry.

+1 Brown is my favorite as well

knedrgr
10-28-2010, 22:14
Ed Brown Special Forces Carry.

GVFlyer
10-28-2010, 22:22
I would have a real problem buying a "Special Forces" anything. While I've worked with and supported the SF, I am not "Flash" qualified.