Look what followed me home, can I keep it, huh, huh, huh? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Look what followed me home, can I keep it, huh, huh, huh?

GioaJack
10-20-2010, 16:51
As we all know, (well, maybe not the newbs but they'll learn), the reason we load is to ultimately shoot at something.

Now anyone can shoot straight in the air and hit the sky, I have my doubts about XDRoX, El Nino, bob223 and am pretty sure that if Little Stevie shot straight in the air he'd put a hole through his sissy looking, Banana Republic imitation boonie hat but everyone else around here can hit the sky.

What fun is that though except for the off chance that one of the spent bullets falls back to earth and penetrates the roof of one of your ex-wives cars. A slim chance indeed... certainly worth hoping for but a slim chance none the less.

Nay, forget the sky, look down on a flimsy piece of target paper that can be penetrated by a teenager with a strong bladder. We want to hear the clang of steel, watch as that metal advisory succumbs to that well placed shot only to miraculously appear time after time to suffer the same fate.

My little shooting buddy, Deak and I shoot steel almost every week but since my unfortunate intimate relationship with that heart attack I find myself becoming more and more winded and sapped of energy as I watch Deak walk down range to reset the steel. As a matter of fact I'm getting winded just thinking about it. (There, I feel better, I turned up my oxygen.)

Knowing that this strenuous activity could lead to my untimely demise I found just the thing to negate this possibility. Behold the BLAST BACK!!!

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4337.jpg?1287612441
You will notice that there are three 6 inch steel targets. This particular model is rated from 9 mm to 30-06.

The instructions say that when shooting pistol calibers the minimum distance is 30 yards away and for rifle it's 100 yards. This alone is more than enough reason for IndyGunFreak, N2EXTRM, BoxerGlocker and a few more around here, (you know who you are) to rush out and buy one. You could go the whole season and never have to repaint the targets. :whistling:

You'll notice that in this photo I have cleverly simulated hitting the first two targets, (I felt that using the truck as a back stop probably wasn't the best idea... winter's coming don't ya know, may need that rear window.) In a normal situation one more shot would mean watching Deak walk downrange to reset the steel thus using up precious minutes of my already shortened lifespan.
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4338.jpg?1287614021

Through the wizardry of digital photography, (the fact that I had to take a hundred a six pictures because my son-in-law couldn't grasp the meaning of, 'NOW') I have managed to capture the precise moment that the third target is hit which in turn resets all three targets to the shooting position. Pretty cool, huh?
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4339.jpg?1287614420

The target should be great fun setting up at a hundred yards and firing away with the 3 inch Kimber and some of the other short barrel guns. Due to the fact that my eyesight is not what it once was I am dismayed to admit that it will probably take 4 to 6 shots to fell all three targets.

Naturally when we break out the longer barreled 357's, 41 mag, and 44 mags we'll back 'em out to 150 or 200 yards just to introduce some level of difficulty. I wish staying married was this easy.

Jack

Angry Fist
10-20-2010, 16:58
Pretty cool, Jack! I need one of those... :supergrin:

WiskyT
10-20-2010, 17:06
Jack, you're a friggin daredevil. The 1050 didn't take you out, so you got a big piece of steel to carry up the steps. What's next, a full size replica of the Arizona? A rosia odonnel inflatable doll?

Bob2223
10-20-2010, 17:08
That looks pretty cool Jack.

I'm thinkin maybe you shoulda got the 24 inch target model though ? :whistling:

Bob

shotgunred
10-20-2010, 17:17
Next thing you know Jack is going to buy a little convertible.

http://www.pridemobility.com/jazzy/images/models/select14.jpg
:rofl:

LoadedTech
10-20-2010, 17:37
^^^^^^^^^:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Looks cool Jack, glad your doing ok!

EL_NinO619
10-20-2010, 17:42
Why don't you just shoot at you GOLD bars?

GioaJack
10-20-2010, 17:48

Bob

I have the 24 inch model... I set it up, (well, Deak does) at a thousand yards for when I shoot my LCP. (Irritating flatlander)

The rest of you guys are just mad 'cause I didn't die and you don't get a shot at my stuff. Just for that I'm gonna live forever. (According to the Mayans forever ends in 2012. :crying:)

Jack

n2extrm
10-20-2010, 18:31
OH I gotta get one of those! I hate reseting targets.

Fortunately I only have to do it 2 or 3 times for the day. :whistling:

themighty9mm
10-20-2010, 18:35
Looks like fun. Since you dont like resetting why not just get some steel targets and some target hangers. Never have to reset again and with your older eyes could make for a bigger target.

RustyFN
10-20-2010, 18:36

Bob

Bob I think the small target is for others. Jack has the truck to shoot at.

n2extrm
10-20-2010, 18:39
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

GioaJack
10-20-2010, 18:46

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Keep it up young'uns, keep it up. Planes land at DIA all day and all night... our club is only 15 minutes from there.

Make sure you buy roundtrip tickets and bring folding currency... lots of it. :supergrin:

Jack

Boxerglocker
10-20-2010, 18:50
Hey that is pretty cool Jack! At 30 yard minimum distance though not very practical for my needs.... all kidding aside. I wonder how .22lr would fair and at what minimum distance.

Bob2223
10-20-2010, 18:50

He might be able to hit the truck if they shut him up in it ? :dunno:

Bob

GioaJack
10-20-2010, 19:03
Hey that is pretty cool Jack! At 30 yard minimum distance though not very practical for my needs.... all kidding aside. I wonder how .22lr would fair and at what minimum distance.

They make a model for rimfire and another model for .38 through .44 mag. They're all pretty much the same size just different construction.

BTW... pay no attention to that flatlander who posted just below you... I think he may have eaten a piece of bad goat.

Jack

RustyFN
10-20-2010, 19:03

They make a four plate version for 22 only. The three plate version is for center fire pistols. I am curious to know how well the auto reset works.

Colorado4Wheel
10-20-2010, 20:02
This morning, 6 inch steel plate, 30 yds, holding a magazine in my left (I had just unloaded the gun) hand and gripping the gun with both hands (kinda). One shot, one plate. Plastic gun no less.

GioaJack
10-20-2010, 20:29
Learn to do it with one hand you wussie.

Jack

PCJim
10-20-2010, 21:00

Jack, shooting steel sure beats paper any day of the week, and makes IDPA stages all the more interesting. Especially when those who can place three shots dead center at 10' take a full magazine to knock down a larger popper at distance.

Boxer, I have one of these Caldwell 22 rimfire resetting targets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=426631

Used it six or so times at 30yds with a 22 rifle and it worked great. I did not install the included paste-on targets, leaving them black. It did take some getting used to, in setting the unit up properly. If you don't get the legs spread apart enough, you can't get the necessary angle to allow for the reset. This was quickly learned.

Unfortunately for me, after the remodeling of the county range, they now prohibit such items (errant grounding shots tear up the PVC pipe they have placed in the ground to hold up the wood target frames).

Colorado4Wheel
10-20-2010, 21:11
Jack's got the O2 on high apperently.

ron59
10-21-2010, 04:56
The rest of you guys are just mad 'cause I didn't die and you don't get a shot at my stuff. Just for that I'm gonna live forever. (According to the Mayans forever ends in 2012. :crying:)

Jack

How can the end of the world be in 2012 if I have a yogurt that expires in 2014 ?

:rofl::tongueout::tongueout:

jmorris
10-21-2010, 08:38
Jack, I would like to see some photos of the back, how it works.

I have built a few auto resetting plate racks but they use 12 v deer feeder batteries to reset when the last target hit’s the switch. They are great fun for long range practice. The reset is like the drive on an old locomotive using power window motors and a gear on the 10 plate rack (I opened the door so you could see how it works). In the 5X8” rack I used a window motor and a small block Chevy flex plate, for the gear.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/3g/platerack2.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/3g/platerack1.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/target/autoplaterack/HPIM0395.jpg

I also built a auto reset rifle target like the Larue, 300 win mag doesn’t even leave a dent. The gear motors I had on hand to use for the “flat” reset were 24v so I had to use two batteries for it.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/target/HPIM0417.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/target/HPIM0416.jpg

The compact reset is a little more difficult. Here is a video showing how it works.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/target/?action=view&current=MOV02072.mp4

GioaJack
10-21-2010, 08:49
J...:

Why doesn't it surprise me that you've already built enough resettable targets to supply Patton's army. I'm moving next to you... I'll never have to spend a dime on another toy.

Soon as I have a couple pots of coffee and suck on this oxygen for a while I'll go out to the truck and take a few pictures of the back and looking down from the top. There's no batteries, (all my ex-wives stole those and I haven't replaced them... reminds me of how inadequate I am), it's just an arrangement of springs.

There's very few parts to assemble, the four legs are held on by quick detachable knobbed screws for easy transport and the front deflection shield simply slides on and off. The whole thing only weighs 38 pounds. I don't know what steel it's made out of but I highly doubt it's AR500.

Jack

Boxerglocker
10-21-2010, 08:51
Man that is cool :cool: jmorris...
What I wouldn't do to have a metal fab shop in my backyard.

jmorris
10-21-2010, 09:01
Soon as I have a couple pots of coffee and suck on this oxygen for a while I'll go out to the truck and take a few pictures of the back and looking down from the top. There's no batteries, (all my ex-wives stole those and I haven't replaced them... reminds me of how inadequate I am),

Thanks Jack, If you had 12v 8Ah batteries instead of 1.5v D cells sitting around you could have broke more than her heart.:whistling:

2wheelDuke
10-21-2010, 23:31
I wish we could use steel at the public range around here. They used to, but not anymore.