Remington 870 Express Tactical - Bird hunting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Express Tactical - Bird hunting?

Tech knight
10-20-2010, 21:36
I need the barrel to be able to be swapped for a longer barrel for deer and bird hunting.

Can it fit the requirement of 2+1 for bird hunting? I'm assuming 2 shot magazine extender comes off easily which brings it down to 5. A 3 plug thing should bring it down to 2+1 and be legal for bird hunting?

aippi
10-20-2010, 22:13
Sure thing. Find a 26" or 28" vent rib barrel with Rem Choke and you are set to go. You need to remove your extension of course. You will need a 4 shot spring, a magazine cap and a plug. The barrel you get will most likely not have the detent ball to retain the mag cap but that is fixed easy. Just put a small drop of blue loc-tite on the threads on the mag tube and screw the mag cap on. It will stay put till you take it off. Or you can get a wave washer. Go to www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com) and enter Wave Washer in the search box. A pack of three is around $6. This washer goes over the magazine tube after you install the barrel and will hold the magazine cap in place. Three will last you for many years. I use a small drop of blue loc-tite so either method will serve your need.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
10-21-2010, 13:05
You forget the spring retainer.

aippi
10-21-2010, 13:10
He does not need that as it is simply to keep the spring from flying out when you remove the mag cap. Since the metal retainer is a ***** to install and remove and he is changing so often, just leave it off. Work the spring down, install the mag cap and go.

Z71bill
10-21-2010, 13:33
Why mess around with buying a 4 round mag spring and a cap?

If your gun is 6 +1 now - and you want to reduce it down to 2+1 -

Just cut a wooden dowel (guess 1/2 inch diameter will work) to about the length of 4 shells to use as a plug - put it inside the mag spring - put your extension back on.

Unless something changed in the last few years - it is legal.

I hunted for years with a 6+1 Winchester model 12 - with a plug to reduce capacity down to 2+1 for ducks in the morning - remove plug for afternoon pheasant hunting.

aippi
10-21-2010, 14:58
Capacity may be an issue hunting depending on the state he is in is why he may have to mess around with a 4 shot spring. Not all of us are lucky enough to be in Texas which is the most gun friendly state of all.

Z71bill
10-21-2010, 15:35
Capacity may be an issue hunting depending on the state he is in is why he may have to mess around with a 4 shot spring. Not all of us are lucky enough to be in Texas which is the most gun friendly state of all.

Worth checking - seems like the law just focused on the maximum number of rounds the gun could hold at the time -

Hard to imagine that

A 6+1 gun with a plug making it a 2+1 would be illegal

and a 4+1 gun with a plug making it 2+1 would be legal.

But this is the government we are dealing with so just about anything is possible.

aippi
10-21-2010, 23:24
that's why we are so envious of you Texans. You state understands that firearms and shooting sports are as American as Apple pie and the laws there reflect common sence. Not so around this country.

captdreifus
10-22-2010, 00:50

False. Arizona :cool:

As for the OP, I would use the wooden dowel myself as someone has suggested already. Cheaper and quicker. Good luck!

capt

aippi
10-22-2010, 01:58
Oh no, you never challange Texans. It's on now. Arizona' s got enough problems right now without picking on Texas :-).

Sure, the OP may be able to do that but needs to check his state laws. Nothing screws up a hunt like having DNR confinscate your gun and still give you a ticket.

50 different states, 50 different sets of laws. Check first.

Aceman
10-22-2010, 19:29
Texas is the most friendly state in America. If we are including Mexico, I'll give it to Arizona.

CBennett
10-23-2010, 06:54
Worth checking - seems like the law just focused on the maximum number of rounds the gun could hold at the time -

Hard to imagine that

A 6+1 gun with a plug making it a 2+1 would be illegal

and a 4+1 gun with a plug making it 2+1 would be legal.

But this is the government we are dealing with so just about anything is possible.

wow thats NUTS...I am pretty sure mine is good its originally a Remington 870 Turkey Special..so made for hunting...guess I wont add a extension lol. But then im in PA so probably different anyways but im too lazy to look lol.

Minnow
10-26-2010, 00:09
Oh no, you never challange Texans. It's on now. Arizona' s got enough problems right now without picking on Texas :-).

Sure, the OP may be able to do that but needs to check his state laws. Nothing screws up a hunt like having DNR confinscate your gun and still give you a ticket.

50 different states, 50 different sets of laws. Check first.

Oh it's on now Cuz!
Pretty sure federal migratory game bird laws specify a 3 shot total capacity for all 50 states. Bein Texas and all doesn't buy us a pass!

:tongueout:

sheepman
11-05-2010, 08:45
Federal law requires a 3 shot limit for migratory birds(the ones you need a duck stamp to shoot), but states regulate for upland game, Washington state (for example) requires a 3 shot limit for all upland game also. Like mentioned above best check local game laws.