.40 question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .40 question

kelevra
10-21-2010, 01:58
I just loaded 7.4 gr of unique for 155 gr copper plated roundnose and was wondering if this would be considered a hot load. It seemed like ther was more felt recoil and energy transfered to my right hand. The Glock handled the rounds fine but was wondering if this was pushing the limits for the overall load. Appreciate any input.

XDRoX
10-21-2010, 08:18
I don't load 40, but according to my manuals you probably pushing around 1100fps which I would consider a medium load.

You can check for signs of pressure by making sure the primers look normal and there is no case bulging.

Hope this helps.

MSgt Dotson
10-21-2010, 09:07
I used 6.8 gr of Unique with 155 gr RNFP for a chrono'd 1140 fps from 5" or 5.3" bbl...; if I recall, 8 gr of Unique was max with 155gr bullets..

kelevra
10-21-2010, 13:00
8.2 gr was the recommended max load for unique. It was somewhere around 1100 fps. The reloading book was my friends but it's funny how each book reads different specs. My Lyman book says a max load of 5.9 gr for a 155gr silvertip. I don't shoot silvertips but that's still a major difference from what other handbooks are saying. Leaves a newbie like me a little confused.

XDRoX
10-21-2010, 13:59
8.2 gr was the recommended max load for unique. It was somewhere around 1100 fps. The reloading book was my friends but it's funny how each book reads different specs. My Lyman book says a max load of 5.9 gr for a 155gr silvertip. I don't shoot silvertips but that's still a major difference from what other handbooks are saying. Leaves a newbie like me a little confused.

Ya, without a chrono you're really shooting in the dark. I would just find three different manuals with your load in it. Take the middle range of each and average them. You'll certainly be safe by doing this.

If there isn't any signs of pressure then I'm sure your current load is fine. There isn't any harm in dropping the powder weight down either though.

I'm not a fan of recoil. I load my rounds as light as I can while keeping good accuracy. As you decrease the powder you'll notice that the gun won't eject the case very far and eventually the gun won't cycle.

Sometimes just changing the powder can also play a role in lesser recoil, so you may want to try another powder as well.

fredj338
10-21-2010, 16:02
Ya, without a chrono you're really shooting in the dark. I would just find three different manuals with your load in it. Take the middle range of each and average them. You'll certainly be safe by doing this.

THis is exactly how I teach newbs. You must have more than one source & then average the data, start in the middle & work them up or down in 0.1gr increments.
Your load is certainly above the mid range but should not be pushing max, depending on your OAL. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=155&shellid=29&bulletid=40

kelevra
10-21-2010, 17:53
I do like loading 5.0 of Win231. Nice mellow kick and I like the grouping results. Right now, I guess I'm in the experimental stage.
That doesn't sound right...I'm experimenting w/ powder and different loads and noticing some results but don't want to push the limits. The 5.0 of 231 makes it feel like I'm shooting a 9mm.
I do try and always keep the OAL at 1.135 though.