Some things I don't like about my 870 Express HD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some things I don't like about my 870 Express HD

Zell
10-21-2010, 11:39
I bought a new 870 Express HD several weeks ago and have put about 175 rounds through it. I bought it for HD and target shooting with my kids.

Here are some things that I really don't like about the gun:

-- I hate the trigger. I don't like the feel of it on my finger. Basically it's a crappy trigger compared to other guns I've shot. Not a comfortable trigger at all. It seems rough on the trigger edges and it feels too small. Also it doesn't have a smooth action to it.

-- I don't like the almost sharp edges on the sides of where you insert the shells into the magazine. I guess I'll have to fine-sand or steel wool or dremel the edges to smooth them out but don't know how to do it without messing it up. It feels like I'm going to get a cut on the sides of my thumb when I insert shells.

-- I don't like the sight. I guess I can switch the out but not sure how to do it.

-- I don't like the matte finish on the gun. Feels like it could scratch easier or even wear-off easily than a smooth finish -- maybe I'm wrong. Please tell me I am.

Other than these things, I totally love the gun. I'm now hooked on shotguns. It's operated like it should without a hitch. Other than the things mentioned above, it's a solid gun and fun to shoot.

Just my thoughts.

G19Pistolero
10-21-2010, 11:57
Sorry to hear you don't love your 870 100% - I'm sure you can do some mods...

I recently bought my first shotgun, a Mossberg 590 Mariner...took it shooting for the first time this weekend and I'm in the same boat as you...Hooked on Shotguns!

Even started looking at some of the finer shotguns others were using to shoot clays...I'm sure I'll pick up a 2nd shotgun soon...

Cheers.

-J.-

Zell
10-21-2010, 12:03
By the way, does the recoil of a new shotgun smooth up a little after awhile. I don't mind the kick but it would be nice if it'd ease up after awhile.

Zell
10-21-2010, 12:06
Sorry to hear you don't love your 870 100% - I'm sure you can do some mods...

I recently bought my first shotgun, a Mossberg 590 Mariner...took it shooting for the first time this weekend and I'm in the same boat as you...Hooked on Shotguns!

Even started looking at some of the finer shotguns others were using to shoot clays...I'm sure I'll pick up a 2nd shotgun soon...

Cheers.

-J.-

I've thought about a Mossberg as well. I'm fairly confident I'm on my way to getting an other shootgun.

TxGun
10-21-2010, 13:12
By the way, does the recoil of a new shotgun smooth up a little after awhile. I don't mind the kick but it would be nice if it'd ease up after awhile.

No. The ammo you use is probably the primary determinent. Fit, stock configuration, and type of pad also play major roles, but that really wasn't your question.

The gun's felt recoil is not going to change unless you change one of these other factors.

Jeff82
10-21-2010, 13:13
As far as recoil- choose a lighter load, get a better recoil pad, wear a pad. It is what it is. It won't change on it's own.

Zell
10-21-2010, 14:33
As far as recoil- choose a lighter load, get a better recoil pad, wear a pad. It is what it is. It won't change on it's own.

What's considered a lighter load?

Jeff82
10-21-2010, 16:47
What's considered a lighter load?

Typically: "Club" loads; 100 round "Value pack" loads; 3 dram eq. or less; 7 1/2, 8, 9 shot; 1 ounce loads (all these in 12 gauge).

Definitely not: any buck shot, slug, heavy game loads.

kalifornia
10-22-2010, 19:32
dremel is all you need for the rest have fun.

bsg1
10-22-2010, 21:38
Federal makes some good reduced recoil buckshot for HD imo; it will say "low recoil" on the side of the box.

consider a Limbsaver recoil pad for your stock.

CBennett
10-23-2010, 07:13

Nope lol get a limbsaver recoil pad or a Knoxx if you like the pistol grip style. And as has been said look for some reduced or low recoil rounds from various makers the 2 I know make them are Remington and Federal and Winchester im sure others also..they will say reduced or low recoil on the box.

Winchester low recoil
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=620922&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Ammunition%20-%20Shotgun%20-%20Buckshot%20%26%20Slug-_-PriceCompListing-_-620922

Fiocchi low Recoil(didnt even know they made this)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=482134

Federal Reduced recoil
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=121561

Remington Managed Recoil
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/remington-express-managed-recoil-buckshot-12-ga-rl12bk00-2-3-4-00-buckshot-8-pellets-5-rds.aspx?a=202716

bsg1
10-23-2010, 13:52
I bought a new 870 Express HD several weeks ago and have put about 175 rounds through it. I bought it for HD and target shooting with my kids.

Here are some things that I really don't like about the gun:

Also it doesn't have a smooth action to it.

the action should improve with use.

Vigilant
10-23-2010, 18:29
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_910/products_id/411542030

Cerakote is also an option.

aippi
10-23-2010, 18:48
The weapon has to broke in. It is new. It will smooth out with round count.

Aceman
10-24-2010, 17:55

-- I hate the trigger.

-- I don't like the almost sharp edges on the sides

-- I don't like the sight.

-- I don't like the matte finish on the gun.

-- it doesn't have smooth action

Other than these things, I totally love the gun.

If I say two of those things about a gun I own - Not only do I not LOVE it - I don't even LIKE it. Let's get out of mamby pamby land and say what you don't have the nads to: YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG GUN!

Really - did you pull the trigger before you bought it? Did you see the finish? Sight it?

That said...you also bought the cheapest Remington of the bunch short of the Norinco made copies. And the Hawk copy I shot had all of that - and shot just fine. It would make a great HD/beater range rifle. I agree with aippi - shoot it until the edges wear down, you have made peace with the sights, and wore the trigger in or comes to accept it as is. And kids shooting the hell out of it should take care of that. If it gets scratched (beauty that is is) a can of flat black grill paint will take care of it.

Good God Man! Get grip on your self [sound of face slap followed by good shake] Sell it and get something you like, or deal with it. But DON'T put us through this emotional cry-fest again!!!!