I didnt blow my hand off!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I didnt blow my hand off!!

wrx04
10-21-2010, 13:31
My gun showed up at my doorstep this morning, so i decided to see if the two rounds i loaded would cycle through my gun. They did. I then loaded a total of 8 more rounds with the same parameters (5.8gr unique 230gr FMJ).

At the range i fired 100 WWB flawlessly and then reached for the reloads. Not gonna lie, i was a little nervous:shocked:. I chambered the round, squeezed the trigger, and prayed i still had a hand left.

Worked perfect. Actually hit the 10 ring. The following 9 rounds all fired/chambered/ejected properly as well. Now do i keep making this type of bullet, or do i start adjusting the power? The rounds felt a little on the weak side (even compared to WWB), but not too bad at all.

IndyGunFreak
10-21-2010, 13:35
Now do i keep making this type of bullet, or do i start adjusting the power? The rounds felt a little on the weak side (even compared to WWB), but not too bad at all.

I'd say that depends on where you are in your load data.. If you're loading a "low" or "middle" round.. and you want to heat it up a bit, I don't see an issue w/ it... I think staying in the 10-15rds while you're in "testing" is smart though... Keeps from spending 5hrs pulling rounds.

IGF

Boxerglocker
10-21-2010, 13:39
Agree with IGF. If your mid to mid/high in your load data... the gun cycles fine and it's comfortable to shoot. You should stop until you have a chrono to confirm your load.

GioaJack
10-21-2010, 13:56
10 ring with the first round... excellent! (Was the target on the ground at your feet and did it kick up dust on your boots? :whistling:)

See, it wasn't as hard as you thought it was going to be, huh? Keep it up, have fun but don't try to get ahead of yourself. There's a lot to learn and plenty of time to learn it.

You already violated the first cardinal rule of loading however... always have one of your ex-wives test fire new loads.

Jack

PCJim
10-21-2010, 13:57
As stated previously. If you like the current load you have, why not just stay with it. It is comfortable, you are accurate with it and it is probably not putting as much wear and tear on your new firearm as factory ammo or your own warmer reloads will.

shotgunred
10-21-2010, 14:12
I didn't blow my hand off!!
That is always a good thing in reloading.
Well unless your Al-Qaeda.

KinderGlocken
10-21-2010, 14:14
Why would you think you were going to blow your hand off?

ron59
10-21-2010, 14:46
Why would you think you were going to blow your hand off?

He might not have mean *literally*.... but I'll confess to being so nervous firing my first 9mm load (even when my GOAL was to load "soft")... that I wore a heavy welders mitt and a welder's mask. :rofl:

I was in my neighbor's field (with permission), and I fired the first three or four into the ground about 20 feet away from my feet.... with my eyes squeezed tight!

chris in va
10-21-2010, 22:32
I wore heavy gloves and full extension the first time I shot my reloads. People next to me had odd expressions.

BigDog[RE]
10-22-2010, 06:39
Did you do the "Cup and Turn" when you fired off those first reloads? You know, cup your balls and turn your face... ;-)

alwaysshootin
10-22-2010, 07:12
10 ring with the first round... excellent! (Was the target on the ground at your feet and did it kick up dust on your boots? :whistling:)
You already violated the first cardinal rule of loading however... always have one of your ex-wives test fire new loads.

Jack

Oh my,:rofl::rofl: please tell me you are here all week!:supergrin:

Seriously, to the original poster, after the first two rounds, are you happy with your Dillon 1050 purchase? Is it everything you thought it would be?:wavey:

Sorry on my third Bloody Mary, and it's bedtime!

wrx04
10-22-2010, 07:24
;16181230']Did you do the "Cup and Turn" when you fired off those first reloads? You know, cup your balls and turn your face... ;-)

:rofl:

Not quite, but i thought about it. Didnt want to look like a sissy, but i was sure as hell feeling like one on the inside:rofl:.

To the guys who geared up with the heavy duty gloves....thats hilarious. I should have thought of that! I especially like the welders mask:rofl:

wrx04
10-22-2010, 07:25
Oh my,:rofl::rofl: please tell me you are here all week!:supergrin:

Seriously, to the original poster, after the first two rounds, are you happy with your Dillon 1050 purchase? Is it everything you thought it would be?:wavey:

Sorry on my third Bloody Mary, and it's bedtime!

Well, its not quite a 1050, but the 550 is working quite well. I like it.

AltiDude
10-22-2010, 07:32
You can always put on welding gloves and reach around a tree. I find that to be adequate protection when I work up loads.

Zombie Steve
10-22-2010, 07:33
Congrats.

If you want a range load, leave it where it is. If you want full speed, take it up to 6.2 grains of Unique (incrementally) assuming your OAL is around 1.265".

Have fun and be safe!

alwaysshootin
10-22-2010, 07:44
You can always put on welding gloves and reach around a tree. I find that to be adequate protection when I work up loads.

I haven't tried the welding glove, I generally use a goalies glove, but I definitely have a harder time pulling the trigger!:supergrin:

Sorry about the 1050 crack, it was very smart of you to only load a couple, and, try them about before rolling a bunch. Not that I have ever ran a 100+ rounds, then found out something wasn't right, then have to use a connetic bullet puller to disassemble the entire batch!:whistling:

fredj338
10-22-2010, 13:14
My gun showed up at my doorstep this morning, so i decided to see if the two rounds i loaded would cycle through my gun. They did. I then loaded a total of 8 more rounds with the same parameters (5.8gr unique 230gr FMJ).

At the range i fired 100 WWB flawlessly and then reached for the reloads. Not gonna lie, i was a little nervous:shocked:. I chambered the round, squeezed the trigger, and prayed i still had a hand left.

Worked perfect. Actually hit the 10 ring. The following 9 rounds all fired/chambered/ejected properly as well. Now do i keep making this type of bullet, or do i start adjusting the power? The rounds felt a little on the weak side (even compared to WWB), but not too bad at all.
That is the question isn't it? That is the diff between a handloader & reloader. The handloader will always tweek & experiment. If it works & you are happy w/ the load, look no further.:wavey:

Bello
10-22-2010, 17:00
how did you get a gun delivered to your doorstep?

n2extrm
10-22-2010, 17:30
He might not have mean *literally*.... but I'll confess to being so nervous firing my first 9mm load (even when my GOAL was to load "soft")... that I wore a heavy welders mitt and a welder's mask. :rofl:

I was in my neighbor's field (with permission), and I fired the first three or four into the ground about 20 feet away from my feet.... with my eyes squeezed tight!

The official OSHA squint as I call it. :whistling: Been there myself. I startedback-wardss, I loaded rifle first. I remember chambering the first round, saying a small prayer, turning my head to the side and setting off the round.Thenn I slowly opened my eyes one at a time.

Congrats on asuccessfull first test. I play around a bit and see how the round works. I try to get a a good running round that isn't too hot and then stick with it. It is hand loading, have fun experimenting. Just stay safe.

wrx04
10-22-2010, 17:45
how did you get a gun delivered to your doorstep?

It was actually just the slide. I had to send it in because the barrel bushing was too tight. It was killing me only having the frame at home and not being able to shoot my new gun.

Bello
10-22-2010, 19:15
It was actually just the slide. I had to send it in because the barrel bushing was too tight. It was killing me only having the frame at home and not being able to shoot my new gun.

right on!