Laptop Wireless Card Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Wireless Card Question

Obi Wan
10-21-2010, 13:35
Have an HP laptop (z4200?) that uses a PCMCIA wireless card. When my wife boots up the laptop, the machine doesn't recognize the card unless she 'pops it out and resets it'. Then all works well.

What might be causing the laptop to not recognize the card unless you physically eject it and reset it? :dunno:

Thanks.

IndyGunFreak
10-21-2010, 14:02
Is wireless set as the "default" internet connection?

My Windows Foo being weak.. I know w/ Linux... If I boot up my laptop and the "wired" connection is set up as default.. it will look for that connection and try to connect w/ it, for about 1-2min, before moving on to an alternative.

I simply set up my Wireless to be default, and it is connected as soon as I sign on.

Not sure that is your issue, but might be something to look at.

IGF

Adjuster
10-21-2010, 14:07
Get her an inexpensive usb wireless adapter off Ebay for less than 10$. Works so much better than the pcmcia crap. I don't pay anymore than 7$ for mine but you have to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive from China. I ordered several so I would always have spares on hand for family and friends when their internal wireless cards get fried. The usb wireless adapters never get fried.

By the way they claim to have more expensive ones made for the boating community that have a 7 mile range. Thats crazy.

Adjuster
10-21-2010, 14:12
Examples

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-Wireless-54Mbps-LAN-WIFI-802-11g-b-Card-Adapter-/170528416454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b44922c6

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-Wireless-54Mbps-LAN-WIFI-802-11g-b-Card-Adapter-/160481340000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255d6eea60#ht_1554wt_905

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Adapter-802-11-g-b-Antenna-54Mbps-/280547294329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4151ebfc79#ht_2268wt_905

http://cgi.ebay.com/802-11g-Wireless-USB-2-0-Adapter-w-removable-RP-SMA-Ant-/150495765004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230a3f220c#ht_1693wt_905

Obi Wan
10-25-2010, 09:43
Is wireless set as the "default" internet connection?

I was unable to locate anywhere where I could set the card as the 'default' other than disabling the hard wire connection... but that didn't make a difference.

Is there a specific procedure I should follow that I'm missing?

Adjuster, that may be the final solution, but since she owns two working cards right now I'm hoping to solve this issue before spending any more money.

Thanks.

Airsprint
10-25-2010, 10:38
Setting a connection to default is somewhat a linux specific deal, If I were in your shoes I would locate a new driver for the PCM Card uninstall the device and reinstall the drivers as well as the card.

Also I'm going to guess this is windows vista because it has known problems with wireless, A couple things you can try is going into the mobility center and manually turning wireless on, or click diagnose why windows cant find any networks.

Also you could upgrade to Win seven if none of these fix it, or reinstall windows because its probably corruption in the vista driver foundation software.

Obi Wan
10-25-2010, 10:50
Setting a connection to default is somewhat a linux specific deal, If I were in your shoes I would locate a new driver for the PCM Card uninstall the device and reinstall the drivers as well as the card.

Also I'm going to guess this is windows vista because it has known problems with wireless, A couple things you can try is going into the mobility center and manually turning wireless on, or click diagnose why windows cant find any networks.

Also you could upgrade to Win seven if none of these fix it, or reinstall windows because its probably corruption in the vista driver foundation software.
No, sorry, this is Windows XP - SP3. Once she pops the card out and reinserts it things work fine. I'm just worried that she's going to wear those pins and cause a permanent problem.

IndyGunFreak
10-25-2010, 11:13
No, sorry, this is Windows XP - SP3. Once she pops the card out and reinserts it things work fine. I'm just worried that she's going to wear those pins and cause a permanent problem.

That suggests it's not a driver issue..

So a couple things to check... (I'm on a Windows PC right now so I feel confident of what I'm telling you)... Is the Wireless device being "managed" by some 3rd party software? I know I installed a Belkin USB wireless device on my sisters PC, and it had this software to manage the device, and it sucked. I ended up uninstalling it. I used Windows to manage it, and it worked flawlessly.

First... Go to Control Panel/Network Connections
You should see your wireless network connection there....
Right click it, and choose Properties.
Click the "Wireless Networks Tab" At the top make sure the 'Use Windows to configure my Wireless network settings" is checked

Definitely doesn't sound like a driver issue though...

Obi Wan
10-25-2010, 15:39
That suggests it's not a driver issue..

So a couple things to check... (I'm on a Windows PC right now so I feel confident of what I'm telling you)... Is the Wireless device being "managed" by some 3rd party software? I know I installed a Belkin USB wireless device on my sisters PC, and it had this software to manage the device, and it sucked. I ended up uninstalling it. I used Windows to manage it, and it worked flawlessly.

First... Go to Control Panel/Network Connections
You should see your wireless network connection there....
Right click it, and choose Properties.
Click the "Wireless Networks Tab" At the top make sure the 'Use Windows to configure my Wireless network settings" is checked

Definitely doesn't sound like a driver issue though...
I'll have to check, but I do believe it's running via Netgear software since there's a Netgear 'Control Panel' or something that pops up when you click on the laptop icon in the taskbar. I remember that I used that software because people told me that the Microsoft/Windows networking software didn't work well... but I can try it and see.

Thanks.

IndyGunFreak
10-25-2010, 16:22
I'll have to check, but I do believe it's running via Netgear software since there's a Netgear 'Control Panel' or something that pops up when you click on the laptop icon in the taskbar. I remember that I used that software because people told me that the Microsoft/Windows networking software didn't work well... but I can try it and see.

Thanks.

I'm not sure who would tell you the Windows Networking tool doesn't work well.. It works flawlessly, on every machine I've sever set up. I'm guessing your issue has something to do w/ that Netgear software...

IGF

Obi Wan
10-26-2010, 09:46
I'm not sure who would tell you the Windows Networking tool doesn't work well.. It works flawlessly, on every machine I've sever set up. I'm guessing your issue has something to do w/ that Netgear software...

IGF
I didn't get a chance to work on it last night, but will try later today.

Don't know where I got the 'impression/opinion' that the Windows Networking tool doesn't work well. Either some IT guy told it to me, or told me to use the Netgear software, etc... or I could well have made that assumption myself based on all the other Windows things that never seem to live up to their hype. :dunno:

Will let you know how I make out.

Thanks!