Sticky Lee Dies ? 9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Lee Dies ? 9mm

ColdShot
10-21-2010, 15:15
I bought a Lee 9mm carbide die set and the powder die is giving me fits,on the up stroke its no problem but on the down stroke the case gets stuck slightly
causing the ram and bench to jump a little,its not a smooth release like I am used too....Seems the mouthing cone or whatever you call it is acting like the case wants to get stuck......

Thoughts on how to smooth it out ,this certainly is not normal and a PITA

XDRoX
10-21-2010, 15:19
I always thought a little snag on the way down was normal. I figured it was because the case is coming out larger than it went in.

XDRoX
10-21-2010, 15:21
I don't notice this on my Dillon. I figured it was because the machine is so much larger and more stable. But I clearly remember when I use to load on a SS, the snag that you are talking about.

GioaJack
10-21-2010, 15:22
Just polish the funnel with a little jewelers rouge, fine lapping compound or whatever you have handy.

All you're aiming for is to take out any machine marks or rough spots.

Jack

ColdShot
10-21-2010, 15:40
Just polish the funnel with a little jewelers rouge, fine lapping compound or whatever you have handy.

Jack
THats what I was thinking of doing,the bell has to be off somehow

and for the record I am using a 550B

Bob2223
10-21-2010, 15:45
THats what I was thinking of doing,the bell has to be off somehow

and for the record I am using a 550B

Try a little lube on a few cases, I lube 15-20 or so out of a hundred.
When it starts pulling harder run a lubed case through.

Bob

fredj338
10-21-2010, 15:54

Jack
This will help, but my buddy, who is a machinist, found that Hornady & Lee have a back angle cut at the end of the tapered part, only like 0.0015", but it causes the case to stick. So polishing will help, but recutting them on a lath is the true fix. I am just passing on what he told me, but he is good at his profession.:dunno:

ColdShot
10-21-2010, 15:57
Try a little lube on a few cases, I lube 15-20 or so out of a hundred.
When it starts pulling harder run a lubed case through.

Bob

ID try that too.........What lube can I use in a pinch? I have no "Reloading" lube per say but I have about 20 other oils in my shop
but I think the stickyness is from inside the case not outside

Boxerglocker
10-21-2010, 16:06
ID try that too.........What lube can I use in a pinch? I have no "Reloading" lube per say but I have about 20 other oils in my shop
but I think the stickyness is from inside the case not outside

A dry silicon lube would be best IMO if you can't find a dedicated case lube such as Horandy one shot.

dsmw5142
10-21-2010, 16:07
Just curious what kind/brand of brass? My Lee 9mm die does the same thing, but only with CBC (magtech) brass. All other brass runs through very smooth.

WiskyT
10-21-2010, 16:13
Does anyone even consider reading the directions anymore? The Lee PTE die is SUPPOSED to stick on withdrawl. The resulting shake ensures the powder drop tube empties all of the powder into the case.

PCJim
10-21-2010, 16:16
If these are RPUs, take a good look inside the case mouth for possible sealant residue. I've encountered some that had some remaining residue that would try to stick on the powder funnel.

Bob2223
10-21-2010, 16:39
Does anyone even consider reading the directions anymore? The Lee PTE die is SUPPOSED to stick on withdrawl. The resulting shake ensures the powder drop tube empties all of the powder into the case.

Sorry CS I was thinking sizing die :embarassed:

Your right WT I just started using a 44 Mag Lee die set and it said "and does" exactly what your sayin.

Bob

GioaJack
10-21-2010, 17:01
We're men... we don't need no stinkin' instructions.

Jack

ColdShot
10-21-2010, 17:31
I emery clothed the bell and got it a bit shiny and it seems
better....loaded up some 9mm for range tests
4.2g and 4.5g of universal test loads 124g FMJs

:)

ron59
10-21-2010, 17:43
I have a Dillon powder station, and my cases often are "sticky" there as well.

4Baldy
10-21-2010, 17:52
Horandy One Shot will cure all your problems. I used it for years.

GioaJack
10-21-2010, 18:02
I emery clothed the bell and got it a bit shiny and it seems
better....loaded up some 9mm for range tests
4.2g and 4.5g of universal test loads 124g FMJs

:)

HA! Take that Fred! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
10-21-2010, 18:28
What powder measure?

When exactly is the problem happening. When you are raising the handle just after belling? I want to be sure. Dillons have a common issue with raising the handle just after belling and there is a simple fix. Just need to know what is really happening.

fredj338
10-21-2010, 18:34
HA! Take that Fred! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jack
Take it where Jack? I polish all of the expanders in my dies. Smooth is good.:supergrin:

GioaJack
10-21-2010, 18:47
Take it where Jack? I polish all of the expanders in my dies. Smooth is good.:supergrin:

Kill joy. (Nice way to throw your machinist buddy under the bus. :whistling:)

Jack

chris in va
10-21-2010, 22:30
I had an issue with it on my Hand Press and Lee sent me another die insert, which didn't help any. All I do now is close the press, whack it open smartly and gently close it again but not all the way, then drop the powder. Works fine.

kopsy
10-22-2010, 00:54
I had this problem also and I just tuned it down some so the flare put on the brass was not so much. Now it comes out without any hangup.

ColdShot
10-22-2010, 04:22
The piece (die insert ) should be hard chromed from the factory or polished but that would cost Lee extra 25 cents labor .......

fredj338
10-22-2010, 13:15
Kill joy. (Nice way to throw your machinist buddy under the bus. :whistling:)

Jack
NEVER! He just has to have it perfect. Good enough works for me.:supergrin:

HOUNDAWG
10-22-2010, 18:20

Exactly right! I replaced the "powder through expander" die in my Lee 9mm set with a standard expander die. Since I don't use a powder drop tube, the PTE feature has no advantage in my reloading setup.

WiskyT
10-22-2010, 18:30
The piece (die insert ) should be hard chromed from the factory or polished but that would cost Lee extra 25 cents labor .......

Lee designed it that way on purpose. It is not a defect. To know that would require reading the directions, or reading my previous post about that.

ColdShot
10-22-2010, 18:32
Lee designed it that way on purpose. It is not a defect. To know that would require reading the directions, or reading my previous post about that.

real men dont read instructions :tongueout:

I fixed it,it was too tight for my liking - IDK what lee says

WiskyT
10-22-2010, 18:35
Exactly right! I replaced the "powder through expander" die in my Lee 9mm set with a standard expander die. Since I don't use a powder drop tube, the PTE feature has no advantage in my reloading setup.

Exactly, if you don't like it, or don't need it, you can buy/use something else, or polish off the edge. I can't figure out the posts about how it's an indication of poor quality. It's fair to argue that it's a bad idea, or uneccessary, but it's kind of silly to argue that Lee makes a defective die.

ColdShot
10-22-2010, 18:37
Exactly, if you don't like it, or don't need it, you can buy/use something else, or polish off the edge. I can't figure out the posts about how it's an indication of poor quality. It's fair to argue that it's a bad idea, or uneccessary, but it's kind of silly to argue that Lee makes a defective die.

my last 40SW lee dies did not stick,my dillon dies did not stick
the lastest 9MM stick like a rock till I adjusted them...

Don't be so Nieve