Determining the value for a good domain name [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Determining the value for a good domain name

El Capitan
10-21-2010, 18:28
A non-techy relative just called saying someone contacted him to try and buy a domain he had reserved a couple years back. He got it while reserving a few names & variants before going into business for himself.

Come to find out, he tells me its a 3-letter .com domain. Wow I thought, those are impossible to come by, it must be worth some thing big. Only 3 letters and it's a .com.

Ok, any ideas of how to determine it's worth? Is there a better place for him to put it up for sale or auction? I've never done this sort of thing.

Adjuster
10-21-2010, 21:19
I don't get it? What is a 3 letter .com name? Just tell us what the domain name is and avoid any confusion.

El Capitan
10-21-2010, 22:18
3 letters such as: ggt.com or rtl.com

I'd rather not post the actual url on a giant public forum.

I once tried to get GCA.com for myself. Or anything close. Best I could do was gc-a.net. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue as easily.

Adjuster
10-22-2010, 00:17
If your relative already has the name locked up there is nothing anyone on a big giant forum can do with it.

noway
10-22-2010, 10:02
you can try a an appraiser or look at godaddy domain sells. I would at least get it appraised 1st and then look at trying to sell it.

Right now domains are hard to sell. I have about half dozen sitting in the refrig that I want to wait for the market to pickup. If you haven't done it already ready, try to buy the dot net and org portions of the same domain and sell it as a pkg deal.

1 old 0311
10-22-2010, 11:49
10-12 years ago flowers.com sold for 1.5 million.:wow:

Pierre!
10-22-2010, 16:15
Uhm... I thought there was a scam going on regarding this... just be sure you cover your you know what before you do a sale!

prism
10-22-2010, 17:52
gun forums aren't the place.

here's a domain forum: http://namepros.com

SEDO.com is a recognized domain auction and for-sale site.

duncan
10-29-2010, 09:08
The value is really based on three things:

1. How much money the company seeking that domain name has; and

2. How far the company has gone to build an entire identity around that domain name from registering for a trademark/tradename - and doing it backwards - menaing get the domain first; and

3. How badly that CEO wants that particular name.

I've had law firm clients that seems insistent on acquiring the domain name off of a third party until the price got too high - then they moved to alternate name and the .net

Forming a company and building a brand image is big business. They spend several thousand in legal fees just doing the paperwork. The domain name and the trade name, and trademarks are way more valuable.

Did they offer you $$$. If it's a big name company and it's perfect or you feel leverage, could be anything $5-10-25-50K or more.

c6601a
11-06-2010, 03:31
Like everything else in the world, your friend's domain is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If a company is interested in it, try and negotiate with them. If they are willing to pay $10K (a totally made up number) and your friend holds out for more, the price will fall to $0 as soon as they loose interest and decide to move on.

Your friend must realize that the interest is time limited. The company's interest may decline or disappear altogether if they decide to use a different name. The flip side is that if the company has a nexus to the name and your friend is not actually using it, the company can go after him for cyber-squatting. If that happens, they not only get the name under a court order, instead of paying your friend for it, your friend gets to pay them for the cost of suing him.