M1A Scout Squad and Ammunition Selection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scout Squad and Ammunition Selection

SIGShooter
10-21-2010, 19:12
18" Barrel
6 Groove
1:11 Twist Rate

Short to medium engagement distances…0-500 yds. Possibly irons only maybe a scope will be used. Leaning more towards irons only though. I have my MK12 that is my go to long range gun. So, this rifle may replace that one.

I have on hand right now:

Black Hills 168 Gr. HPBT Match
Winchester 147 Gr. NATO FMJ

I am looking into:

Lapua 150 Gr. FMJBT Lock Base
Lapua 155 Gr. HPBT Scenar
Lapua 167 Gr. HPBT Scenar
Lapua 170 Gr. FMJBT Lock Base

Yes, I like Lapua ammunition. No, I have not shot any of it yet but I will be ordering a box of each to test.

What are your opinions of all the ammo listed? Better or best choices? Pro's and cons?

I've done a ton of reading and research but haven't really found an "exact" answer. A lot of "kinda's, maybe's, theories" and the such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And yes, I did a search on GT for some answers. No, I did not find what I was looking for.

NonPCnraRN
10-22-2010, 10:56
Not an answer to your question but what made you decide on the Scout Squad vs the SOCOM? I am curious and would like your input. Just thinking the SOCOM would be a hoot. As for ammo I would use hunting ammo as I would want to do as much damage as possible and I'm not bound by the Hague Convention. The SOCOM would be my politically incorrect woods bumming rifle although it would be a lot heavier than a 30-30 Trapper. Being in CA I would probably use Barnes lead free ammo, like the TSX or TTSX 150 gr bullets. The Barnes MRX bullets have a tungsten core so if penetration were an issue I'd opt for those. Just the ramblings of someone who wished he had a Scout Squad or SOCOM. Maybe when the Harley is paid off.

SIGShooter
10-22-2010, 12:30
Not an answer to your question but what made you decide on the Scout Squad vs the SOCOM? I am curious and would like your input. Just thinking the SOCOM would be a hoot. As for ammo I would use hunting ammo as I would want to do as much damage as possible and I'm not bound by the Hague Convention. The SOCOM would be my politically incorrect woods bumming rifle although it would be a lot heavier than a 30-30 Trapper. Being in CA I would probably use Barnes lead free ammo, like the TSX or TTSX 150 gr bullets. The Barnes MRX bullets have a tungsten core so if penetration were an issue I'd opt for those. Just the ramblings of someone who wished he had a Scout Squad or SOCOM. Maybe when the Harley is paid off.

It's a rifle I have wanted since it first hit the market. Never had the dough to spend on it though. It's an 18" barrel (Good accuracy and range) with that, it is a little more maneuverable in tight quarters (Less than a 16" but more than a 21"). It fires a big bullet. The SOCOM looks cool but it isn't my cup of tea.

I was seriously thinking about making this gun my long range shooter and scraping my MK12. I also wanted a rifle in a larger caliber. For me, it's never a done deal when it comes to guns. I am, however, thankfully slowing down on the whole gun buying/selling/trading thing.

In regards to ammunition selection…If it's going to be a long range shooter, I want the most accurate, reliable ammunition I can use…JHP, BTHP, FMJ…I don't care. I've used FMJ in the real world and I have no complaints about it. It isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. It works, bottom line.

I am currently looking into the DS Arms line of rifles as well. I may just scrap the whole M1A idea and go with the FAL platform. Hell, a collapsible stock, 16 or 18" barrel, 7.62x51…The only thing better would be Mariska Hargitay, naked, standing in front of me.

Zombie Steve
10-22-2010, 12:48
Of what you've mentioned, I'd go for the NATO 147's. They are going to be the right burn rate for your gas system.

Take it from the guy that tried to re-invent the wheel creating a load for my M1A - most powders that give you the best performance in the .308 will burn too slow for the M1A's gas system and batter the crap out of the action. If you're not going to reload for it, get something made for it.

Here's another good one.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/newproducts/ST_fedamericaneagleM1A_200912-A.jpg

SIGShooter
10-22-2010, 13:20
Of what you've mentioned, I'd go for the NATO 147's. They are going to be the right burn rate for your gas system.

Take it from the guy that tried to re-invent the wheel creating a load for my M1A - most powders that give you the best performance in the .308 will burn too slow for the M1A's gas system and batter the crap out of the action. If you're not going to reload for it, get something made for it.

Here's another good one.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/newproducts/ST_fedamericaneagleM1A_200912-A.jpg

Federal is out of contention for me. I don't use Federal ammo anymore…Personal thing.

Lapua has the velocity of their 155 Gr. Scenar @ 2820 FPS. I don't much about reloading but do you think that is not a good velocity for a .308 from the M1A?

Zombie Steve
10-22-2010, 13:36
It's a very good velocity for a 155 out of an M1A, but again, to get a 155 going that fast, you're going to need to use a fairly slow burning powder - something with a burn rate like Varget, IMR 4320 or slower. This will beat up your op rod. M1 Garands are finicky like this too. So the bad news is that you'll never get the same velocities from your M1A that you can from a bolt gun. The good news is the .308 has guts to spare.

FWIW, my 168 SMK handloads with IMR 4895 are clocking about 2,550 from my full size M1A. As long as you practice and keep track of where you're hitting, adjusting for more drop isn't an issue. Good luck.

ETA: scroll down to page 10 here and it will explain better than I can...

http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf

Jeepnik
10-22-2010, 13:54
I have a Scout as well. I like heavy for caliber bullets. My preference in .308 are 180 grn Winchester Power Points. Yes, it doesn't have as flat a trajectory as say a 155 grn bullet. But, it will hit harder than the 155's with in the 180's useful range.

SIGShooter
10-30-2010, 16:12
It's a very good velocity for a 155 out of an M1A, but again, to get a 155 going that fast, you're going to need to use a fairly slow burning powder - something with a burn rate like Varget, IMR 4320 or slower. This will beat up your op rod. M1 Garands are finicky like this too. So the bad news is that you'll never get the same velocities from your M1A that you can from a bolt gun. The good news is the .308 has guts to spare.

FWIW, my 168 SMK handloads with IMR 4895 are clocking about 2,550 from my full size M1A. As long as you practice and keep track of where you're hitting, adjusting for more drop isn't an issue. Good luck.

ETA: scroll down to page 10 here and it will explain better than I can...

http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf

Well that just sucks!

I read that whole write up. Some really good information in there. I appreciate it.

I think I may dump the M1A and go with a bolt gun or even n AR10 of some sort.

Zombie Steve
10-30-2010, 16:21
Every gun has it's limitations, the M1A's is port pressure. I still love the gun. It was used for 1,000 yard shooting for many years in service rifle competitions. It still holds it's own. Nothing I've ever shot with my M1A lived to complain about bullet speed. =)

SIGShooter
10-31-2010, 12:53
Every gun has it's limitations, the M1A's is port pressure. I still love the gun. It was used for 1,000 yard shooting for many years in service rifle competitions. It still holds it's own. Nothing I've ever shot with my M1A lived to complain about bullet speed. =)

I hear ya.

However, I have an issue about spending 1500 dollars on a rifle and it can only use certain ammunition. I look at the aspect of…I want to shoot this gun but I can only get "X" type of ammunition…But this ammunition has too high of a port pressure…I can't shoot my gun.

SIGShooter
10-31-2010, 13:04
Or, better yet…

I can get all this different kind of ammunition…

Ammo "A" Great accuracy but port pressure too high

Ammo "B" Great accuracy but port pressure too high

Ammo "C" Great accuracy but port pressure too high

Ammo "D" Great accuracy but port pressure too high

Ammo "E" Horrible accuracy but port pressure is perfect

Or something to that effect.

NonPCnraRN
10-31-2010, 14:11
The only thing better would be Mariska Hargitay, naked, standing in front of me.

Standing? Oh never mind. I better stop before a mod boots me off.