My girlfriend has carpal tunnel and needs advice... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My girlfriend has carpal tunnel and needs advice...

NH Trucker
10-21-2010, 21:45
My girlfriend is looking for advice on a handgun that accomodates the limitations of a small/weaker hand grip as well as carpal tunnel. She's concerned that the recoil forces will inflame the carpal tunnel so much she can't fire off a magazine, or can only take a shot or two in a longer period of time. She has handled my Glock 23 and says that it's grip size is a little too big for her to get a comfortable grip on. Any recommendations on pistols and caliber combinations that would help her be comfortable with shooting and provide her with something effecive enough for concealed carry?

Thank you in advance :wavey:

hamster
10-22-2010, 08:33
Any hand injury that can cause "limp-wristing" can be a major issue in any Semi-Auto pistol. Without a firm grip, these pistols are prone to jamming.

My #1 recommendation would be some sort of small revolver. Sure it may hurt her wrist a bit when practicing, but in a self defense situation, she would not need to worry about a jamming issue. Revolvers often also have smaller grips that may or may not be easier for her to grasp.

Mrs.Cicero
10-22-2010, 09:58
Try an S&W M&P 9mm in compact and full size. They come with three different size backstrap/grip pieces (and they are easy to remove/attach). Find the one she can shoot comfortably, if any. I hate revolvers because they hurt my wrist, but she should try some anyway if she is limpwristing due to pain/weakness from carpal tunnel. If she can't shoot a pistol without it jamming from limpwristing, there really is no other choice but to go to a revolver.

Mrs.Cicero

hamster
10-22-2010, 16:46
Try an S&W M&P 9mm in compact and full size. They come with three different size backstrap/grip pieces (and they are easy to remove/attach). Find the one she can shoot comfortably, if any. I hate revolvers because they hurt my wrist, but she should try some anyway if she is limpwristing due to pain/weakness from carpal tunnel. If she can't shoot a pistol without it jamming from limpwristing, there really is no other choice but to go to a revolver.

Mrs.Cicero

Yeah, if the issue is simply the grip comfort, then the M&P would be well worth trying for sure. If she experiencing any jams or other issues then she may want to look at revolvers.

In general I find autos more pleasant to shoot.

NH Trucker
10-22-2010, 18:21
Thank you for your responses. She said that she'll try out the M&P at the range and see if it's for her, and maybe a revolver to see how the difference is. We have a range nearby that rents different guns, so that'll save on the cost of trial and error with purchasing one first.

Do either of you have any experience/opinions on any 9mm's made by CZ? I'm just wondering how they might compare with recoil and reliability.

Thanks again :wavey:

dodgetruckmom
10-23-2010, 07:39
We have a range nearby that rents different guns, so that'll save on the cost of trial and error with purchasing one first.

I, too, have small hands, although no noticeable problems with carpal tunnel. My first experience shooting a handgun was with the hubby's Glock 19, which kept jamming on me. It was a miserable experience. I was the poster child for limp wristing. I did better with the 20 because it's a bit heavier.

A few weeks later, though, I said to the husband that I wanted to go back to the range because I had a theory I wanted to test out. I shot the 19 again, but this time I did it with a different stance--not the Weaver stance that hubby uses and that he had me use the first time. I shot off four magazines without a single jam. And my hands were a lot less sore than they had been after the first experience. I don't have the upper body strength that he does, and that different stance made all the difference.

I'd get a Glock for myself in a heartbeat if they'd just make them with grips small enough for my hands. I can hold the 19 and the 20 just fine, but I have to scooch my hand around to get to the magazine release. After trying out a bunch of different ones at the store, I settled on the XD(m) 9mm compact. I am anxious for it to arrive so I can try it out at the range. :wow:

K.Kiser
10-24-2010, 11:50
The small Walthers have a pretty small grip size also, but it will be hard to improve on a small frame .38 for comfort..

zigzagg321
10-24-2010, 12:02
Ive had a tenostynovectomy(sp?) on both hands/wrists. Its like carpal tunnel x100000

Ill put it this way, they did the carpal tunnel mod "while they were in there."

The scar runs from the middle of my hand, makes a "Z" at my wrist crease and goes down another 2 inches.

What Im saying here is that carpal tunnel is pretty minor compared to what I had to have done and I can shoot any Glock/pistol just fine. Your woman should be fine if she gets the Carpal "V" notch surgery done. Sooner the better.