G38 and 39 groups at range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G38 and 39 groups at range

pzlehr
10-22-2010, 15:43
Hi,
I just acquired a G38 and 39 along with about 1,000 rds of ammo for them. The ammo, American Eagle looks banged up, stained as does the Remington UMC. Anyway, I have other Glocks,etc and shoot decent with them all. I shot these GAPS and at 10yds was getting 5 and 6" groups. I was surprised and so I brought out my G30 with WWB and fired a decent 1" group. I then fired my G19 with WWB and got another 1" group. Is the GAP ammo that bad? I am thinking the pistols may be off since I get them for a song.
Chuck

David_Ely
10-22-2010, 16:16
Something is wrong. Maybe the sights are screwed up. Have you stripped them down and checked them over since you bought them?

pzlehr
10-22-2010, 20:15
Yep,checked them both out and they seem fine. I love the feel of these, a 45 in a g23 body. Seems like I should be able to shoot them ok. Maybe I'll try and buy some good ammo, because that stuff I have now is horrible, even the boxes look beat.

Chuck

pzlehr
10-23-2010, 08:26
Well I got some Federal SD ammo, can't remember off the top of my head the specs of the round but it was a box of 20 for a high price...decent bullets. So I went through 10 rounds with the 39 and got a 2" group at 10yds...much much better but still....is this average for a 39? Take me out of the equation and could a good pistolero get much better groups, or get as good a group at a further distance? I know it's a SD gun for close range, but it's always good to have a gun you know is accurate so that would be one thing you don't have to worry about when practicing. Then one would know for sure it's me, maybe the ammo(if it's lousy reloads or cheap dirty stuff). So what would be good groups for a 38 and 39 at 10yds, the average, or what ost people would be able to get?

Chuck

David_Ely
10-23-2010, 08:56
Most pistols are more accurate than the person shooting them. 10 rounds isn't enough to determine how well a gun shoots. Sportsman's Guide has American Eagle 185gr GAP ammo in stock. Go thru a 100 rounds or so and you'll get a better idea of how the pistol works for you.

DannyR
10-23-2010, 09:05
I suggest that you do not judge accuracy until you have fired 300 rounds through each pistol, then cleaned and oiled them.

pzlehr
10-23-2010, 10:27
I suggest that you do not judge accuracy until you have fired 300 rounds through each pistol, then cleaned and oiled them.

Well now, I didn't even think of that..DUH! MY G30 and 19 have many more than 300 rds through them. I'll run them through the mill to break them in, or at least the 39. I have the 38 for sale anyway, no one wants it so I may keep it. I am trying to clean out the stables, have sold a couple pistols, but I am partial to my Glocks and Rugers!!

Chuck