How Many Times? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times?

ColCol
10-22-2010, 19:52
This has probably been brought up before but out of curiosity, how many times do you reload brass? I mostly reload the 45 ACP and generally though them away after 3-5 reloads at best mostly due to the nicks on the rim and extractor groove from the ejector and extractor. I've had FTF and other jams due to this and stopped using the brass after several reloads. Not very economical perhaps but I don't like clearing malfunctions. I never know for sure if I have a magazine problem or some other malady so, if I can the brass early, I know it's not my reloads.

I had a failure to go into battery today that may have been caused by a multi loaded reload. The case was nicked in several places where the ejector had hit the rim and most likely caused it.

PCJim
10-22-2010, 20:01
A lot depends on how hot your reloads are. For a low pressure round like the 45acp, you will either lose the case or the primer pocket will eventually not hold a primer before the case is no longer worthy of reloading.

Recently, another GT reloader gave us all his testing experience with the higher pressure 9mm round. If my aging memory is correct, he finally stopped reloading that single case after 17 firings.

Hope that tidbit helps you to understand my first paragraph comments.

Boxerglocker
10-22-2010, 20:40
This has probably been brought up before but out of curiosity, how many times do you reload brass? I mostly reload the 45 ACP and generally though them away after 3-5 reloads at best mostly due to the nicks on the rim and extractor groove from the ejector and extractor. I've had FTF and other jams due to this and stopped using the brass after several reloads. Not very economical perhaps but I don't like clearing malfunctions. I never know for sure if I have a magazine problem or some other malady so, if I can the brass early, I know it's not my reloads.

I had a failure to go into battery today that may have been caused by a multi loaded reload. The case was nicked in several places where the ejector had hit the rim and most likely caused it.

I've had issues with the nicks on multiple loaded cases in all calibers. I case gauge every round and if I find one with and issue that won't fit... I gently dress the nick with a swiss file. Once it drops free in the gauge is good to go.

Gunnut 45/454
10-22-2010, 20:45
For the 45 ACP I reload them until they split, will not hold a bullet or the primers fall out!
Litterly 1000 of times! I actually have some cases that were made in the late 40's! Still use them!:supergrin:

shotgunred
10-22-2010, 20:47
I don't know. I tried to test some cases one time and got bored after 10 time and they were still good.

If I ever tried again I would bring a reloader to the range and do it all in one day.

XDRoX
10-22-2010, 21:37
I've had issues with the nicks on multiple loaded cases in all calibers. I case gauge every round and if I find one with and issue that won't fit... I gently dress the nick with a swiss file. Once it drops free in the gauge is good to go.

Same here. After too many they won't case gauge. They will however still shoot. At least I haven't had any problems with them functioning.

I've shot some 9mm over 10 times, and they were used brass to begin with. If you don't load hot, my guess is you'll loose them before the split.

38spl on the other hand. I split those all the time:dunno:
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/cracks.jpg

IndyGunFreak
10-22-2010, 21:56
Same here. After too many they won't case gauge. They will however still shoot. At least I haven't had any problems with them functioning.

I've shot some 9mm over 10 times, and they were used brass to begin with. If you don't load hot, my guess is you'll loose them before the split.

That looks like a job for Mighty Putty! ;)

Pretty much what was said above... If you're not loading heaters that are stressing the brass, you can get a lot of loads out of them. I've got some 9mm brass that are approaching 10-11x being loaded, and they are fine.

Boxerglocker
10-22-2010, 22:15

Is that nickel plated? if it is that's your reason why? The plating doesn't stretch and is bonded to the brass, pushing it through the sizer over time causes stress cracks.

fredj338
10-22-2010, 22:40
I don't know. I tried to test some cases one time and got bored after 10 time and they were still good.

If I ever tried again I would bring a reloader to the range and do it all in one day.

Me too. I have some 45acp cases that are so old, been loaded so many times to can no longer read the headstamp. Never had a function problem, then again, I pretty much only shoot 1911s.:upeyes:

sheepman
10-23-2010, 08:12
With 45acp, I quite counting after 30+ reloads. The cases will be lost on the range before you ware them out.

tjpet
10-23-2010, 08:54
I have some .38 special brass for the early 70s that have been easily been reloaded 50+ times with soft to moderate loads. Still going strong 30 years later.

ColCol
10-23-2010, 09:41

I use to do that but it's a time consuming process filing down any visible or felt nicks on the rim or extractor groove.

With revolver brass you don't have to be concerned with fail to feed issues and can no doubt reload them countless times before case failure. I have 45 Colt brass I've had since the '70's and no telling how many times they were reloaded. What I'm getting at is not how long you can go before the case wall splits, but it amazes me the sheer number of rounds some say they use their brass. As I mentioned, I've noticed nicks from the ejector and extractor that can impede feeding in just 3-5 reloads.

Cases with dings on the case rim itself can and has for me, given problems sliding up the breech face or under the extractor. This is not a given pistol's problem but even the highly lauded 1911 gave me problems years ago. It was then I used the Swiss file to hone down the burrs but abandoned that time consuming project.

I like to load what is commonly referred to as major power in 45...don't care for the wimpy target loads. One of my favorite and most accurate loads is 8.4 gr of HS-6 with the 230gr FMJ. Not having access to a chrony, I don't know the exact velocity but probably around 850 fps. I don't think that load gives me any more/less nicks and dings than a target load of Bullseye-you're still going to have those cuts and burrs from the extractor and ejector.

El_Ron1
10-23-2010, 10:01
I mostly reload the 45 ACP and generally though them away after 3-5 reloads at bestNever heard of that. Mercy.

fredj338
10-23-2010, 10:30
I use to do that but it's a time consuming process filing down any visible or felt nicks on the rim or extractor groove.

With revolver brass you don't have to be concerned with fail to feed issues and can no doubt reload them countless times before case failure. I have 45 Colt brass I've had since the '70's and no telling how many times they were reloaded. What I'm getting at is not how long you can go before the case wall splits, but it amazes me the sheer number of rounds some say they use their brass. As I mentioned, I've noticed nicks from the ejector and extractor that can impede feeding in just 3-5 reloads.

Cases with dings on the case rim itself can and has for me, given problems sliding up the breech face or under the extractor. This is not a given pistol's problem but even the highly lauded 1911 gave me problems years ago. It was then I used the Swiss file to hone down the burrs but abandoned that time consuming project.

I like to load what is commonly referred to as major power in 45...don't care for the wimpy target loads. One of my favorite and most accurate loads is 8.4 gr of HS-6 with the 230gr FMJ. Not having access to a chrony, I don't know the exact velocity but probably around 850 fps. I don't think that load gives me any more/less nicks and dings than a target load of Bullseye-you're still going to have those cuts and burrs from the extractor and ejector.
I think your misfortune is more amazing. What gun are you shooting these out of? Really, I have a match bbl 1911, feeds everything; nicked cases, dented cases, empty cases, anything. My other (4) 1911s & an XD show sim feeding attributes. I have never heard of a pistol being that finicky unless you go to light loads & soft springs. It's brass, any small nick should swage out on chambering.:dunno: The only time I throw 45acp brass away is when it splits.