Winchester Bullets= Crap [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Bullets= Crap

EL_NinO619
10-23-2010, 15:29
I loaded 100 .223 rounds the other night. When i was done i did a little QC and to my amazement the bullets where spinning in the neck.:dunno: Wondering what my retarded A$* did wrong. Maybe i did not re-size correctly. Maybe it the brass i swaged "speer" might be bad. No i pull the bullets and and use Stevie's wonder Caliper. .224 diameter bullets are .221 and .222. I understand they are cheap plinking rounds, but come on man:steamed:. Could that not be dangerous, such as the bullet setting back on me, over pressure etc. And what else would happen if the bullet can spin around in the neck? Plus they are VERY inconsistent in length, weight and shape.:worried: My suggestion would be to look somewhere else for plinking rounds.

WiskyT
10-23-2010, 16:10
Where did you get them, are you sure they are Winchester? Also, there are 0.223 bullets for some calibers too I think.

EL_NinO619
10-23-2010, 16:12
Local shop, they are Win and sealed and say .224 diameter.

WiskyT
10-23-2010, 16:20
Local shop, they are Win and sealed and say .224 diameter.

Fair enough, you got screwed. I'd bring them back to the shop AND send the lot# etc to Winchester along with a moderately nasty note.

albyihat
10-23-2010, 16:49
that happened to me with some berrys in .40 cal. I now mic. a random sample from each box just to be sure.

PBKing
10-23-2010, 17:40
bullets where spinning in the neck.
An overcrimp will do that also.

Win 55gr fmj are notoriously inconsistant and have some ugly bases. They were tolerable when they were $40 / 1000 , in the blue boxes from Midway...shipping included

That would be sad if they were .221 .222

gjk5
10-23-2010, 18:20
I just loaded 200 of them I bought from Conaveras, no problems?

EL_NinO619
10-23-2010, 18:36
I have loaded them in the past also, without issue. Must have got a bad batch. Using the dillon crimp die. No problems with Hornady bullets. Winchester we definitely be getting a call. What are some bad things that could happen if i where to fire those, so i can have a solid argument when i call, not that i need one. Thanks

dudel
10-24-2010, 03:27
Could that not be dangerous, such as the bullet setting back on me, over pressure etc. And what else would happen if the bullet can spin around in the neck? .

Overpressure is hardly an issue for a projectile that spins in the case :rofl:

Winchester makes millions of projectiles. Looks like some slippled past the QC. Give them a call, and they should make it good.

As another post mentioned, it's a good idea to randomly check a new batch of "stuff". Brass that its the right stuff, powder that the volume/weight are the same as before, projectiles that they match the specs on the box. The shortage got production up; and in some cases quality suffered.

steve4102
10-24-2010, 08:07
Could that not be dangerous, such as the bullet setting back on me, over pressure etc. And what else would happen if the bullet can spin around in the neck?

Can you push the bullet deeper into the case? What type of rifle are you using. I wouldn't shoot these in an AR or other semi-auto. You could get bullet set back or bullet creep where the bullet continues forward Due to the abrupt stop the cartridge makes when the shoulder slams to a halt against the chamber, inertia dictates that the bullet will continue to move forward. Depending on the throat you may end up with the bullet jammed into the lands or unseat the bullet and end up with powder everywhere.

dudel
10-24-2010, 11:39
Can you push the bullet deeper into the case? What type of rifle are you using. I wouldn't shoot these in an AR or other semi-auto. You could get bullet set back or bullet creep where the bullet continues forward Due to the abrupt stop the cartridge makes when the shoulder slams to a halt against the chamber, inertia dictates that the bullet will continue to move forward. Depending on the throat you may end up with the bullet jammed into the lands or unseat the bullet and end up with powder everywhere.

Good point. The same inertia the keep the projectile going forward, will also carry the powder forward. In a chamber with lots of freebore, the projectile could leave the case, then I'd expect powder all over the place.

MrOldLude
10-25-2010, 08:57
Yes, I bought some cheap 55 gr fmj winchester for plinking in my AR. There's definitely a significant amount of variation on the boat-tail in particular. It shoots as well as I can with iron sights. I load Match Kings for my bolt-gun.

Dogue
10-25-2010, 12:14
The Winchester 55 FMJBT's are garbage. I picked up 1k a while back and couldn't believe the inconsistant bases and the big range of weight (51.4-55.9g). I'm getting ready to load 500 plinkers to help get rid of them...as fast as I can pull the trigger :cool:.

EL_NinO619
10-25-2010, 13:09
I know i called them and the lady acted like i was not telling the truth. I said lady have you not seen the "non" quality of your bullets lately.