Ever flashed your BIOS? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever flashed your BIOS?

NRA_guy
10-23-2010, 19:09
Have you ever flashed your BIOS?

If so, how'd it turn out?

Dandapani
10-23-2010, 19:22
I did my Asus EEE netbook once. Not too hard. Copied image to thumbdrive. Reboot and the system detected the new image and did what it had to do all on its own.

IndyGunFreak
10-23-2010, 19:23
once.. it went fine

Are you having a problem that flashing the BIOS is supposed to fix? If not, don't do it. It's a great way to turn your PC into a cool piece of plastic.

Now.. if it's supposed to actually fix a problem, then it is a risk worth taking IMO... "Doing it, Just to do it"... is reckless.

IGF

Dandapani
10-23-2010, 19:28
once.. it went fine

Are you having a problem that flashing the BIOS is supposed to fix? If not, don't do it. It's a great way to turn your PC into a cool piece of plastic.

Now.. if it's supposed to actually fix a problem, then it is a risk worth taking IMO... "Doing it, Just to do it"... is reckless.

IGF

IGF speaks the truth.

Sgt. Schultz
10-23-2010, 19:33
:agree: with IGF ...

BIOS updates (flashing) is risky and should only be done if you're fixing a specific problem addressed by the update. You need to be aware that if the BIOS update fails for ANY reason, power surge, spike etc… you may not be able to reboot your computer again.

srhoades
10-23-2010, 19:33
Most motherboards now days support flashing the BIOS from within Windows AND have a redundant BIOS to protect against a failed upgrade.

NRA_guy
10-23-2010, 19:47
I'm running an old PC that I have upgraded everything on. I am still running Windows 2000 (it began life with Win 98 Second Edition).

I have maxed out RAM, added video boards and USB 2 boards, but the BIOS is 1999 version.

I installed a new hard drive like 120 Gb (IDE in NTFS format)---but it only sees 40 Gb.

I am now approaching a full hard drive.

Somewhere I read that the old BIOS may be limiting me to seeing a maximum of 40 Gb.

I know: buy a new PC, but I just HATE to do that. It is not the money, it's the pain and suffering.

GammaDriver
10-23-2010, 19:53
On about three different computers - hated it each time and, at least back in the day, though they made it harder to do (with all of the risk involved) than it should have been.

Now you got me wondering about this machine... thanks...

Sgt. Schultz
10-23-2010, 19:53
Somewhere I read that the old BIOS may be limiting me to seeing a maximum of 40 Gb. Then you should check any available BIOS update and see what problems it addresses ...

NRA_guy
10-23-2010, 20:02
Then you should check any available BIOS update and see what problems it addresses ...
The web site that I let run a check on my PC said there is a new BIOS upgrade and I can buy, it but they don't give any details about what the new BIOS fixes.

Sgt. Schultz
10-23-2010, 20:06
The web site that I let run a check on my PC said there is a new BIOS upgrade and I can buy, it but they don't give any details about what the new BIOS fixes.Go to the manufactures website and look for the update ... you shouldn't have to buy it.

IndyGunFreak
10-23-2010, 20:08
I'm not a Win2k user... did it use Fat32? Isn't Fat32 limited to 40gigs?

Edit: Also agree w/ Sgt... no way you should have to buy the upgrade.

Sgt. Schultz
10-23-2010, 20:13
Check out ... http://www.driverguide.com/

... you can join and get a free (limited) membership, I go there whenever I need an old hard to find driver and they usually have it.

rjgraves
10-23-2010, 20:18
Go to the manufactures website and look for the update ... you shouldn't have to buy it.

Check out ... http://www.driverguide.com/

... you can join and get a free (limited) membership, I go there whenever I need an old hard to find driver and they usually have it.

Both are very good advice. +1

Sgt. Schultz
10-23-2010, 20:18
Never mind, I miss read a post.

srhoades
10-23-2010, 21:23
Download SIW (System Information for Windows) As long as you have a name brand motherboard it will tell you the model number.

kc8ykd
10-23-2010, 21:34

no, fat32 is limited to 2tb in volume size, but, more importantly (until 3tb disks become more popular) fat32 is limited in file size to just under 4gb (eg, no dvd rips).

older bios' (those before atx mobo's and even some atx style in the beginning) would not support the disk geometry of drives larger than ~38gb. the bios update adds the newer geometry specs and allows use of larger disks.

now, it sounds like the disk is already installed and being used, not at it's real capacity. after the bios update, i'd suggest using a program like partitionmagic (i'm sure there's free alternatives) to change the partition size to encompass the entire disk without having to reformat or lose any data.

and like Sgt. Schultz and IGF said, the bios should be free from the manufacturer.

it's critically important to find the right update for the motherboard. op, you may have to open the computer physically and find the manufacturer of the board and the specific model number.

and, like others have said, updating bios just because it sounds like a fun thing to do on a sunday is not a very smart thing to do. although i've never had a problem doing it, personally, it is very possible that the update could fail and brick the motherboard.

NRA_guy
10-24-2010, 06:36
Thanks folks. I'll do as you suggest.

Yes, the hard drive is already in use---and near the 40 Gb size the system sees, but nowhere near the 120 Gb actual size.

Yes, the original small hard drive was formatted in FAT32 but the new one is NTFS.

I have the info on the BIOS and motherboard and CPU:

----------------------

BIOS = Award Modular BIOS V 6.00 PG

BIOS ID = 10/19/1999 - i810-47B27X-6A69MB09C-00

Motherboard Mfg. = Evalue Technology, Inc.

BIOS date = 1999.10.19

------------------------

Chipset = Intel Whitney 82810 rev 3

SuperIO chipset (whatever that is) = SMC LPC4 7M10x rev1 at port 002E

--------------------------

Base Board (whatever that is) = BIOSTAR Group

Product = M6TWG

Version = 1.X

----------------------------

Thanks again very much for the help.

IndyGunFreak
10-24-2010, 06:41
Just to follow up on what kc said...

A free Partition Editor... All you need is a blank CD to burn the ISO. Boot the image, and the program itself is very easy to use. You have to boot the CD, since a disk "in use" cannot be resized...

it's Linux based, but don't let that scare you, it has a very easy to use GUI..

http://partedmagic.com/

Edit: I can't find any reference to that motherboard on BioStar's website.

filthy infidel
10-24-2010, 06:54
I'd perform the flash when powered on a good UPS, just to be careful!

Any power issue can be bad juju when doing something as benign as a hard drive clone but especially critical during a BIOS flash.

NRA_guy
10-24-2010, 18:01
I keep ending up here http://biosagentplus.com/join.php

with them telling me that there are BIOS upgrades and I need to pay $29.95 to get it.

I don't mind the money, but not sure what I would be getting (if anything).

I downloaded the Partition Editor ISO file, and I will create the CD, but not sure it will do me any good without a BIOS upgrade.

I'll keep plugging along.

Thanks all for the help.

GIockGuy24
10-24-2010, 18:31
I had a computer about that age with a similar motherboard. It required a BIOS update to change from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. After that I installed Linux on it.

IndyGunFreak
10-24-2010, 19:23
I was looking here.. and didn't see your board listed...

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/support/download.php

Green_Manelishi
10-24-2010, 19:28
I'm running an old PC that I have upgraded everything on. I am still running Windows 2000 (it began life with Win 98 Second Edition).

I have maxed out RAM, added video boards and USB 2 boards, but the BIOS is 1999 version.

I installed a new hard drive like 120 Gb (IDE in NTFS format)---but it only sees 40 Gb.

I am now approaching a full hard drive.

Somewhere I read that the old BIOS may be limiting me to seeing a maximum of 40 Gb.

I know: buy a new PC, but I just HATE to do that. It is not the money, it's the pain and suffering.

Unless all those improvements were free that "archaic" box is nickel and diming you to death even in time spent upgrading ... unless your time is free. Believe me, I understand frugality (I kept a several year old Dell, installed Ubuntu on it, that was missing a key even though I had 4 other puters to use) but sometimes you need to just say "enough".

kc8ykd
10-24-2010, 20:15
well, $30 and an hour's worth of time would allow him to utilize the other 80g's worth of disk, which he's already paid for.

versus, going out and blowing $300+ on a new machine to access the rest of the disk.

if the objective is to simply use the entire disk, then the first option seems to be the most cost effective to me.

Green_Manelishi
10-24-2010, 21:17
well, $30 and an hour's worth of time would allow him to utilize the other 80g's worth of disk, which he's already paid for.

versus, going out and blowing $300+ on a new machine to access the rest of the disk.

if the objective is to simply use the entire disk, then the first option seems to be the most cost effective to me.

He said it's not the money.

kc8ykd
10-24-2010, 21:22
you're right, i assumed you would figure in the time it would take to obtain a new machine, get it setup and then transfer all his files and programs over, but apparently not.

so, adding all that time in, the option of flashing the bios and dynamically resizing the partition is still more cost effective (cost in terms of money and time).

srhoades
10-24-2010, 21:32
Well here it is free, right from the manufacturers website, get the one dated 5/14/01, that is for the verision 1 board which is what you have. It may not fix your problem, it claims the newer BIOS only supports newer CPU's, but you never know.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=m6twg

captainstormy
10-25-2010, 02:35
I agree its time to let that PC go. I understand being cheap, but eventually they start costing you more money to try and keep them up to spec then buying a new one.

A lot of people act like flashing Bios is voodoo. Don't do it unless you have to, etc etc. I never understood that.

I've updated the bios of every motherboard I've had every time a new version came out since the first computer I owned about 15 years ago. Never once did I harm anything or anything bad happen.

Ogreon
10-25-2010, 16:46
I agree its time to let that PC go. I understand being cheap, but eventually they start costing you more money to try and keep them up to spec then buying a new one.

A lot of people act like flashing Bios is voodoo. Don't do it unless you have to, etc etc. I never understood that.

I've updated the bios of every motherboard I've had every time a new version came out since the first computer I owned about 15 years ago. Never once did I harm anything or anything bad happen.

I understand that things have gotten safer lately.

I doubt that it was ever prevalent and I've never had a problem either. But if you did have a problem then you'd just killed your system. This spawns the idea that it's not worth the risk unless you have a problem to be fixed.