9BPE Bullet Looks Strange [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9BPE Bullet Looks Strange

ColCol
10-24-2010, 09:11
Having heard so much about Federal's 9BPE over the years, I finally decided to order a box and see how they performed. I noticed the bullet used looked sort of strange compared to others having the jacket protruding a bit past the lead core and not folded down. Is this the norm for this particular bullet? Actually the box reads "9BPLE" 115 gr +P+ Hi-Shok.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3754.jpg

Kalmah
10-24-2010, 09:29
I have several boxes of 9BPLE and that's how mine look.

Merkavaboy
10-24-2010, 09:54
My ammo looks exactly the same too. Nothing to worry about.

ColCol
10-24-2010, 09:57
I guess I had expected it to look more like this...the 9BP bullet from about 15 years ago.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3755.jpg

Wash-ar15
10-24-2010, 10:19
9bp works in guns that choke on other hp shapes. mine looks the same.

2005ghostrider
10-24-2010, 11:03
Where can the +p+ version of this be found in stock online? I see some but none of it says +p+ in the description.

BOGE
10-24-2010, 11:03
Federal tweaked the bullet.

ColCol
10-24-2010, 11:26
Where can the +p+ version of this be found in stock online? I see some but none of it says +p+ in the description.

Currently on order...

http://www.tds-us.com/viewitem.php/tds/pd1273536/FEDERAL_9MM_P_115_GRN_JHP_9BPLE_-_50_ROUNDS

cowboy1964
10-24-2010, 12:04
kylesgunshop is the only place I can find it in stock.

FLSlim
10-24-2010, 12:21
Last time I ordered Fed +p+ (LE), they were from Cheaper than Dirt. They seem to be hit and miss on what they carry, but worth checking if you are "in the hunt" fir that round.

Ak.Hiker
10-24-2010, 12:47
Its a good example of what a big company like ATK can do with a bullet when they want it to perform at a certain velocity. They can adjust the depth of a hollow point or make adjustments to the jacket or core hardness to suit their needs. Several posters have made comments over the years voicing their concerns when a bullets velocity is driven past the bullets design. Using Hornady as an example they adjust the depth of their XTP's hollow point depending on the load so that it expands to 1.5 X in their testing. If you were to take their 180 grain XTP that they load in 10mm at 1180 and run it to say 1400 expansion and penetration will of course change from the original design intent.

ColCol
10-24-2010, 18:25
The "new" 9BPLE bullet still looks like some step was left out in the manufacturing process. It may work fine but, it looks odd to me...almost like someone forgot to crimp the jacket over and trim.

Glock19Fan
10-24-2010, 18:54
The "new" 9BPLE bullet still looks like some step was left out in the manufacturing process. It may work fine but, it looks odd to me...almost like someone forgot to crimp the jacket over and trim.

Im not expert, but just from looking at the nose it seems they may have done that to sharpen the point up just a little, possibly to improve the feeding nature of the cartridges in HP picky weapons.

Not only that, but it seems with the extra length of unsupported jacket, it may promote faster, more aggressive expansion.

I have personally never been a fan of the light and fast crowd, but I would carry these with no hesitation. Assuming I ran out of 147 and 124/127. :supergrin:

GunsForSale.com
10-25-2010, 21:04
Federal has changed the BP/BPLE bullets several times over the years. It could be for performance reasons, or just for production cost reasons. I have several boxes of the stuff from different lots over the years. Each bullet looks slightly different.

I don't know which would perform 'best,' but all chrony over 1200 fps out of my G19. At the end of the day, 99% of it comes down to bullet placement anyway.

The most recent case I bought came in white 'generic' boxes (sort of like government cheese?) and have the same bullets that you photographed. They feed 100% in my Glock 19, S&W M&P9, and Sig 226.

-Richard

ColCol
11-10-2010, 19:29
I just couldn't believe Federal would have a bullet such as this in their lineup for the 9BPELE load so, I wrote them. It seems my feelings about this was correct. The told me that was not correct in the way it looked. I had sent them a photo of a 9BP round and of the 9BPLE that I recently got and apparently something's not right with this ammo. they also mentioned in a follow up email to...
"Can you attach photos again as we can cross reference this bullet please."

They must have lost the photos somehow I sent them so, I resent them. It'll be interesting to see their next reply.

Glock19Fan
11-10-2010, 22:03
I just couldn't believe Federal would have a bullet such as this in their lineup for the 9BPELE load so, I wrote them. It seems my feelings about this was correct. The told me that was not correct in the way it looked. I had sent them a photo of a 9BP round and of the 9BPLE that I recently got and apparently something's not right with this ammo. they also mentioned in a follow up email to...
"Can you attach photos again as we can cross reference this bullet please."

They must have lost the photos somehow I sent them so, I resent them. It'll be interesting to see their next reply.

Very interesting. However it is fairly odd that numerous people report having the same looking bullet through various lots from likely different years of production. And being a Law Enforcement round I would expect them to have better quality control than that.

cowboy1964
11-18-2010, 14:50
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3754.jpg

I just bought some 9BPLE. The bullets look like that pic.

Merkavaboy
11-18-2010, 16:35
My 9BPLE is nearly 7+ years old and it has the same bullet. The ammo came in the Fed "Classic" box. These bullets are not "new" per se unless you consider 7 years as being "new".

ColCol
11-20-2010, 15:00
Here's the latest scoop from federal on this bullet. Originally they told me when they viewed the picture I sent them that it(the 9BPLE bullet) didn't look right and should have a more"rounded" hollow point. that was an email dated 11/5/10. I wote back and asked them "ok, so what do we do not that I've bought four boxes?

Several days ago they wrote me again...
We forwarded the bullet to our engineering team. They state this is indeed the HST bullet and they have not changed the nose of the round. The HST bullet nose is not folded over the nose for reliable expansion. The Hi-shok bullet is not the same as the HST. We apologize for all the confusion.

The box says "Hi-Shok" not HST. I don't think I'll get to the bottom of this so, I'll just be a happy camper and just shoot them.I haven't seen an HST bullet that looked like that and don't think it's an HST bullet as they indicated.

unit1069
11-20-2010, 15:29
I'd love to have some 115-grain HST +P+ rounds. Of all the bullets independently tested by Glock Talk members the HST seems to me the hands-down leader in the reliable expansion category.

If the 9BPLE is the all-time standard for hyper-velocity, light 9mm rounds I can only imagine how effective the HST would be in the same loading.

Jeff82
11-20-2010, 15:57
I don't think they make a 115gr HST. Someone at Federal doesn't know what they're talking about.

Looks like the Hi Shok bullet with some manufacturing parameter out of whack.

And BTW I'm getting 1380+ (avg) with 9BPLE out of my G17.

G-Lock808
11-20-2010, 16:13
are these the same as the c9bp? I dont see 9bple or the 9bpe on federals site.

Whats a good standard pressure self defense 9mm 115 gr? something that is comparable in how your standard range ammo feels.

EDIT: found out c9bp is the same as 9bp. except the c9bp comes in 20rnd boxes for the same price as 50rnds of 9bp. what a joke.

unit1069
11-20-2010, 18:09
are these the same as the c9bp? I dont see 9bple or the 9bpe on federals site.

Whats a good standard pressure self defense 9mm 115 gr? something that is comparable in how your standard range ammo feels.

I have been very happy with Fiocchi 115-grain Extrema XTP out of my Kel-Tec PF-9.

The XTP bullet has a reputation as a deep penetrator --- important for short-barrel pistols --- and accuracy. I can attest to the accuracy as it's the most accurate round I've shot through the PF-9.

Fiocchi has the CIP logo on the box but the round doesn't seem that "hot" to me. I could pay $15 for a 25-round box of Hornady XTP or $21/box for a 50-round box of Fiocchi XTP.

ColCol
11-20-2010, 18:17
I don't think they make a 115gr HST. Someone at Federal doesn't know what they're talking about.

Looks like the Hi Shok bullet with some manufacturing parameter out of whack.

And BTW I'm getting 1380+ (avg) with 9BPLE out of my G17.

Read my post again. They sent it to the "engineering team"! Can you believe that? Seems like they're a joke if they think I'll swallow that. Bullets shouldn't look like this, I don't care who makes them and that ain't no HST bullet that I've ever seen in any caliber.

"The HST bullet nose is not folded over the nose for reliable expansion. " Yeah, right.

1380 fps-not bad at all...I wonder what they're moving at in my G19? Shouldn't be too far behind.

G-Lock808
11-20-2010, 18:25
I have been very happy with Fiocchi 115-grain Extrema XTP out of my Kel-Tec PF-9.

The XTP bullet has a reputation as a deep penetrator --- important for short-barrel pistols --- and accuracy. I can attest to the accuracy as it's the most accurate round I've shot through the PF-9.

Fiocchi has the CIP logo on the box but the round doesn't seem that "hot" to me. I could pay $15 for a 25-round box of Hornady XTP or $21/box for a 50-round box of Fiocchi XTP.

seems like a great price. these are the xtp bullets correct? are they low flash?

unit1069
11-20-2010, 19:08
seems like a great price. these are the xtp bullets correct? are they low flash?

Fiocchi uses the Hornady XTP bullet in their Extrema line. I have no idea if the round is low flash or not. I've shot them under normal daylight and haven't noticed any flash at all. Very accurate at 20 yards through the PF-9's three inch barrel.

Here's one review of the XTP: http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/HG_xtpmarks_200807/

PS: I was just on ammunitiontogo.com a few minutes ago and the Fiocchi 115-grain Extrema XTP is offered at $19.95 for a 50-round box.

BOGE
11-20-2010, 20:42
Relax people, the BPLE bullet nose is fine. Trust me, there is probably no other 9mm HP load more tested in firefights. I just ordered 1,000 rds. myself. :supergrin: The engineers tweak it now & then as Federal has an evolving R&D Dept. They sell the BPLE for a cheaper price than HST to PD's and this is a BIG factor for smaller PD's on a tight budget. It is a ''go to'' round for those who want a tried & true 9mm SD round.

ColCol
11-20-2010, 21:34
I'll say this about this round, it feeds great in not only the G19 but also my 6906. I shot an entire box of them yesterday thought the 6906 and not nary a problem at all...also, quite accurate.

2bgop
11-21-2010, 15:00
I use this round in a couple of my 9mm carry guns, mine look like the one in your photo.

cowboy1964
11-21-2010, 17:28
It probably averages $10-12 less than HSTs, Gold Dots, etc. For 1000 rounds that's a lot of money. Almost half way to a new Glock.

Any place that gets some doesn't have it for long...