Precision Black Bullets? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Precision Black Bullets?

steve4102
10-24-2010, 09:30
Been thinking about trying some Precision Black bullets in my 40 and 10MM. I have only loaded jacketed bullets in these two cartridges and I was wondering how these coated lead bullets hold up to the high velocity/pressure of the 10MM?

Thanks

Wash-ar15
10-24-2010, 10:15
I,personally have had bad experience with moly coated bullets in 9mm. accuracy was terrible and would keyhole.

Never had this problem with straight lead

hilljo
10-24-2010, 10:18
Shot many many thousands in .40 at fairly high velocities; they work great. Depending on the powder you're using, they can, in some lighting conditions, be smoky.

Have shot some in 9mm and 45 with equally good results.

I would also recommend Black Bullets International as a good manufacturer of moly bullets.

I am pretty sure that both Precision and BBI will sell you a small sample pack of 250 or so to try them out.

gforester
10-24-2010, 10:32
I've used the BBI in both 9mm and 45 without issue. I find them to be plenty accurate and very cost effective. BBI sells 100 round sample packs for $10 shipped IIRC.

Boxerglocker
10-24-2010, 10:46
I'm using Bear Creeek Moly in .45 back with WST with great results, defianetly the cheapest alternative for me and my Kimber.

I,personally have had bad experience with moly coated bullets in 9mm. accuracy was terrible and would keyhole.

Never had this problem with straight lead

I'm gonna have hit you up for some insights.... gonna try some BC 125 RN soon... have a sample pack of 100 that I got from WASIPDA Championships.

Hmmm.... After reading some threads in my local club reloading section....may have to aquire a 9mm Lee FCD for the 650 toolhead line-up.

njl
10-24-2010, 14:10
I tried out some BBI 130gr 9mm. I found them to be nasty smoky with Universal Clays, not quite as bad with WST. You have to load them kind of short...at 1.154" they were just hitting the rifling. 1.145" worked. To me, they were harder to load than jacketed and only worth the trouble for ranges/targets that forbid jacketed ammo.

coachg
10-25-2010, 10:09
Hmmm.... After reading some threads in my local club reloading section....may have to aquire a 9mm Lee FCD for the 650 toolhead line-up.

Precision Bullets specifically discourages using the FCD. It can undersize the bullet causing problems with accuracy.

I've had great luck with both Precision Bullets and Bear Creek Supply. Love the 40's from Bear Creek. Very economical and they shoot fine out out my G22 factory barrell.

gforester
10-25-2010, 10:15
I tried out some BBI 130gr 9mm. I found them to be nasty smoky with Universal Clays, not quite as bad with WST. You have to load them kind of short...at 1.154" they were just hitting the rifling. 1.145" worked. To me, they were harder to load than jacketed and only worth the trouble for ranges/targets that forbid jacketed ammo.

I load mine to 1.135" with 4.0 gr. of Universal and get just over 1000 fps with them. They are a bit smokier than a jacketed bullet, but I shoot my 9mm mainly outdoors and for the cost (9.8 cents/bullet) I can't complain. :cool:

They seem to smoke less with Win AC too.

OkieGunNut
10-25-2010, 11:07
I tried Precision bullets in my g23 and they leaded like crazy. Using the aftermarket 40 bbl with regular rifling they did all right. I was not impressed and will not use them again.