brand new gun questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : brand new gun questions

kalifornia
10-24-2010, 09:45
Alright finally got my shotgun! A couple of questions. 1. The bottom of the bead sight is protruding into the barrel alittle, is this fine? 2. Would it be a good idea or bad idea to remove the sharp edges along with the finish on the port? Thank you Gentlemen!

sambeaux2249
10-24-2010, 12:37
Alright finally got my shotgun! A couple of questions. 1. The bottom of the bead sight is protruding into the barrel alittle, is this fine? 2. Would it be a good idea or bad idea to remove the sharp edges along with the finish on the port? Thank you Gentlemen!

Hmm... I'm no expert, but I would think having the bead site protrude into the barrel would be bad. Not catastrophic, mind you, but it seems like it could affect the patterning.

Sharp edges on the port? I would be hesitant to remove any finish unless you plan on cold bluing it after. Even then, it won't look the same.

What kind of shotgun did you buy? Even my Chinese knockoff 870's don't have these problems.

Sam

Aceman
10-24-2010, 18:01
What is this? Make/model....

kalifornia
10-24-2010, 20:46
H&R Pardner Protector, the edges aren't anything unusual, I just thought I might round them off a bit.

sambeaux2249
10-24-2010, 22:34
H&R Pardner Protector, the edges aren't anything unusual, I just thought I might round them off a bit.

Errr... I have a Pardner Protector... I haven't noticed any particularly sharp edges... I'll go check again... I would be loathe to damage the finish unless you want to completely refinish the whole gun. You will never get the finish to match, and if it stays in the white, it will be likely to rust.

I would consider very carefully polishing the base of the bead sight where it protrudes into the barrel, though.

Okay, I just doublechecked, and my example has neither sharp edges around the ejection port nor a protrusion into the barrel by the front bead. If the ejection port has a sharp enough edge to worry about cutting your hands/fingers, then yes, I'd round them... Otherwise, I'd leave it alone...

Let us know what you decide?

Sam

kalifornia
10-25-2010, 19:29
I'll leave it alone for now, thanks for the replies!