New colt MK IV series 70 question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New colt MK IV series 70 question

matt_lowry123
10-24-2010, 13:51
Hey I just have a quick question, is 750 a good deal for a colt MK IV series 70? I'm thinking about buying it but I wasn't sure if it's a good deal. I'm ignorant when it comes to colts. I like it because it looks plain but I wanted to get some insight before I get it.

Thanks everybody!!

skipsan
10-24-2010, 17:03
I assume you're talking about the original Series 70 (1970 to 1983). I have a few, and keep casual track of the prices. Its my observation that
the prices for Series 70 Gvmts range from around $600 to a little over $1K,
depending obviously on condition and whether they're sold with box, paperwork etc. To command over $1k implies unfired or nearly so, and in pristine condition with box etc. This also assumes that the pistols at the lower end of the price range are unmodified, and no rust. Any mods or rust and all bets are off. $750 sounds about right for an average condition, unmodified, no-rust, no box or paperwork example.

matt_lowry123
10-24-2010, 17:36
I'm not too sure of the year or if it comes with the box. I did hold it and it looked as if they're weren't any mods done to it. I'll have to get the serial number off of it and call colt to see when it was built. Thanks for the reply!! It sounds like it's on the low end of the price spectrum. When I was holding it, the only thing I noticed was that when I was holding it there seemed to be some rust at the end of the slide next to the front sight. I figured it would come off with some oil and a cloth. It looked as if it would come off. I'm not sure about the internals because they didn't let me take it apart

AZ Husker
10-24-2010, 17:37
$750 would also be a decent price for a S70 Repro, depending on the condition.

skipsan
10-24-2010, 17:52
I'm not too sure of the year or if it comes with the box. I did hold it and it looked as if they're weren't any mods done to it. I'll have to get the serial number off of it and call colt to see when it was built. Thanks for the reply!! It sounds like it's on the low end of the price spectrum. When I was holding it, the only thing I noticed was that when I was holding it there seemed to be some rust at the end of the slide next to the front sight. I figured it would come off with some oil and a cloth. It looked as if it would come off. I'm not sure about the internals because they didn't let me take it apart

If you get the S/N, you can probably find the DOM on www.proofhouse.com (http://www.proofhouse.com). If not, calling Colt will work for sure.

Probably the most frequently changed item on original Series 70s, are the sights. The original are short and nubby and a little hard to use, but functional, if you're used to something more contemporary.

The barrel hood should have Colt .45 (or something like that) stamped on it. The signature feature of the S70 was the collet barrel bushing which allegedly made the pistol more accurate, but did break on rare occasion, causing a difficult jam-up of the barrel/bushing/slide requiring some serious persuasion to get cleared. I have the collet barrel bushng intact on my S70s, with no problems to date, knock-knock. You'll need to have the pistol field-stripped to confirm the configuration of the bushing. You might confirm that the front sight is tight, as well, as the staked sights have a rep for shooting loose. Relatively easy to fix, but a potential reason to bargain the price down a bit.

The potential minor rust you describe would probably justify the pistol being priced toward the lower end of the price range. If you can you might want to take a grip panel off to check for rust on the frame.

Sounds like you have a nice prospect at a decent price. Good luck and report back.

matt_lowry123
10-24-2010, 18:10
Thanks for your help everybody!!! I'll let you know more tomorrow when I find out all the info I can. That's a good idea to check under the grips!!! Once again thanks for everybodys input on my lack of ignorance about colt guns. If everything pans out I was going to get it and clean it then might try and frame it in my room. I personally think it looks cool because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles on it.

Thanks everybody!!!