Which type bullet/mold??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which type bullet/mold???

msinc
10-24-2010, 17:18
I shoot both 357 and a 44 Magnum revolvers. Currently I shoot cast bullets out of Lee molds. I shoot a lot, so I like the 6 cavity speed and both guns shoot pretty good. I hear many comments about the so called Keith style bullets and how fantastic they are. Question is are they really that great and how do the cast iron or steel {whatever they are} molds compare to the Lee aluminum ones??? Is it worth the extra money and time for the accuracy/performance or not enough to worry about?? If so, why??? The Lee SWC bullets I am shooting are really not that much different in appearance than the Keith style bullets. Thanks for any info in advance.

WiskyT
10-24-2010, 17:31
IME, the iron molds offer nothing in terms of on target accuracy. They are more durable if they are mishandled. Lee molds don't tolerate any misuse like putting force on the sprue cutter at any angle other than the axis it's supposed to operate on. Put any up or down on the sprue cutter while opening/closing it and you'll screw it up. Since you obviously don't have any issues operating the Lee molds, I don't think you will gain anything from the other brands.

Unless there is a particular bullet for a particular job that you need, and Lee doesn't offer it, Like 147 grain 9mm, then my opinion is you are better off with the less expensive, higher production, Lee molds.

I bought a Lyman two cavity 150 SWC 358477 and it casts great bullet at 155 grains. My Lee TL 158RN six cavity shoots just as well, and makes 160 grain bulets. I don't use the Lyman since the Lee is just as good and makes more bullets faster.

For someone just starting out, they might be better off with an iron mold because they are less fussy. That doesn't apply to you.

WiskyT
10-24-2010, 17:43
Oh, and regarding true Kieth bullets, I think a SWC is a SWC. People go on and on about trying to obtain a "true" Kieth bullet, arguing over rounded vs. square grease grooves etc. The fact is, all of the Kieth type molds out there are modified in some way or another and I don't see how it matters. I've never seen a definative explanation of what a true Kieth bullet is anyway.

My 358477 for example. It's a Kieth bullet that was modified either by or from a Sharpe design to shorten the over all length of the loaded round so they could fit in certain guns like N frames using 357 Mag brass. Well my 358477 looks nothing like the original design or the picture on Lyman's website and it's the current design. So is my bullet a Kieth bullet? I don't know. A Kieth bullet snob wouldn't be caught dead with my 358477, but officially it's a Kieth bullet.

I read an old article online about the developement of the SWC bullet. It left me with more questions than answers regarding what is truly a Kieth bullet. It's almost like saying an engine is a "hemi". There were several Chrysler hemi engines before the one everyone thinks of, and several since. Also, I've seen Alfa Romeos with hemi engines. Really, most any DOHC engine is a hemi, yet the original hemis didn't even have overhead cams.

WiskyT
10-24-2010, 17:50
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell38SWC.htm

msinc
10-24-2010, 18:11
Thanks for the info WiskyT.

fredj338
10-24-2010, 22:02
I don't think there is any real magic about Keith style bullets. While they do look nice & have a true full caliber cutting front band, it's been pretty much established the meplate is what provides a bullets terminal performance. So FP designs, like the Lee 45/200gr, 255gr & 300grRNFP offer good terminal results.
As to molds, I prefer iron molds, they just make casting so much easier. They are easier to keep the mold temp regulated, more durable, but heavier to work with. A 4cav iron mold is expensive & about as heavy as I want to cast with for more than an hour or so. The Lee molds, especially their 6cav, are useable, but poorly made, often out of round & not very durable.

Colorado4Wheel
10-25-2010, 05:42
I like my Lyman 4 Cavity molds.

msinc
10-25-2010, 09:35
Thanks again for the info gentlemen.

Patrick Graham
10-25-2010, 11:17
I like my Lyman 4 Cavity molds.

Same here.

WiskyT
10-25-2010, 14:08
I don't think there is any real magic about Keith style bullets. While they do look nice & have a true full caliber cutting front band, it's been pretty much established the meplate is what provides a bullets terminal performance. So FP designs, like the Lee 45/200gr, 255gr & 300grRNFP offer good terminal results.
As to molds, I prefer iron molds, they just make casting so much easier. They are easier to keep the mold temp regulated, more durable, but heavier to work with. A 4cav iron mold is expensive & about as heavy as I want to cast with for more than an hour or so. The Lee molds, especially their 6cav, are useable, but poorly made, often out of round & not very durable.

Mine are as round as yours when they come out of the muzzle:wavey:

fredj338
10-25-2010, 15:25
Mine are as round as yours when they come out of the muzzle:wavey:
Oh, I am sure. The issue comes w/ out of round bullets causing leading early in the bbl before they bump, if they bump up. I am not trying to bash Lee stuff, I know that would be abrasive & not received well by the politically correct among us. After all, I do have some Lee molds that happen to work fairly well for now. I did have to send two back for replacement though. I am only pointing out that there are products out there that will often work better w/ less fuss.:wavey: