Ahh crap....primer feed tube malfunction [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ahh crap....primer feed tube malfunction

wrx04
10-24-2010, 20:31
I loaded quite a few rounds today, but after about 300 rounds, i went to refill the primers, and nothing came out. I jiggled the tube....nothing. Then i disassembled the housing and changed the tip of the primer tube. Put a couple primers in to test it...and it works. So i load up again, go to start making some rounds, and NO PRIMERS! I dont get it?

When i lift the primer tube out, all the primers empty into the black housing in a unorganized mess.

GioaJack
10-24-2010, 20:39
Put your girlfriend on-line here, we're gonna teach her to load, it'll be easier. :whistling:

IIRC you're using a 550? Make sure you haven't tightened down the knurled knob at the top of the magazine tube. Check that, we'll go from there.

Jack

wrx04
10-24-2010, 20:45
:rofl:

Yeah its a 550. You mean the silver "blast cap" that screws on top. It was not screwed all the way down, but was snug. I didnt touch it from where it was when everything was working. I have since removed the whole thing.

GioaJack
10-24-2010, 20:52
Well I guess we know that's not the problem. Only one solution... trash it and buy a LNL.

Alright, alright... I'm not sure what you're describing. Are the primers not sliding down the tube, like there's an obstruction or are they not dropping into and feeding through the primer shuttle and onto the primer punch.

Come on young'un, come on... I need my beauty sleep.

Jack

wrx04
10-24-2010, 21:03
they are not dropping out of the tube onto the feeder

wrx04
10-24-2010, 21:04
i pushed that black rod down to make sure they werent just stuck, but no-go.

wrx04
10-24-2010, 21:05
Its weird that it just stopped feeding the primers all of a sudden......it was working perfect all night. I just hope i didnt jack something up disassembling it. I'm probably gonna say screw it and mess with it tomorrow. Im tired:yawn:

Colorado4Wheel
10-24-2010, 21:11
You need to use terms that are understandable. Even using the numbers from the Dillon Manual would be better if needed. It sounds like they are not coming out of the Primer tube onto the slider that feeds them to the bottom of the brass. The other tube is called the Pick Up Tube. Primer tube has a tip that has a key that needs to line up properly int the blast housing. Drop the primer tube in the housing turn it till it drops farther and the key is in the slot. Then snug the tube in place with the the nut.

My bet is that you have a damaged tip on the end of the primer tube.

Also know that the Large and Small primers have a different primer tube and pick up tube.

NEVER EVER tap either tube to dislodge a stuck primer. Call Dillon. They will send a extra one.

Colorado4Wheel
10-24-2010, 21:16
To trouble shoot a stuck primer take the tube out. Turn it over and let the primers come out the end with out the tube. You can look and see if you have a stuck primer. Never poke a primer with anything.

wrx04
10-24-2010, 21:19
You need to use terms that are understandable. Even using the numbers from the Dillon Manual would be better if needed. It sounds like they are not coming out of the Primer tube onto the slider that feeds them to the bottom of the brass. The other tube is called the Pick Up Tube. Primer tube has a tip that has a key that needs to line up properly int the blast housing. Drop the primer tube in the housing turn it till it drops farther and the key is in the slot. Then snug the tube in place with the the nut.

My bet is that you have a damaged tip on the end of the primer tube.

Also know that the Large and Small primers have a different primer tube and pick up tube.

NEVER EVER tap either tube to dislodge a stuck primer. Call Dillon. They will send a extra one.

Right, they are not coming out of the primer tube onto the slider that feeds them. I think it might be that i tightened the screw BEFORE putting the primer tube (not the pick up tube) back in. I did switch the tip on the primer tube, and noticed a primer sitting crooked (jammed) in the end of the original tube. I had the right size tubes in for sure (large). I will try again tomorrow, and call dillon if problems persist.

Just wanted to check on here to see if there is a common problem that was an easy fix. I will dedicate more time to it tomorrow. Thanks.

wrx04
10-24-2010, 21:42
Update: Its fixed. Steve, i think i tightened that screw *before* i put in the primer tube, so it wasnt seated properly. Its spitting out primers like it should now.

Im pretty sure a primer was seated kinda crooked to cause the problem in the first place. Glad its fixed. Thanks for the help guys.

fredj338
10-24-2010, 21:50
Update: Its fixed. Steve, i think i tightened that screw *before* i put in the primer tube, so it wasnt seated properly. Its spitting out primers like it should now.

Im pretty sure a primer was seated kinda crooked to cause the problem in the first place. Glad its fixed. Thanks for the help guys.
There is a little indexing tab on the end of the tube. That must aligned to allow the tube to drop into place BEFORE you tighten the cap on the primer magazine tube.

Colorado4Wheel
10-25-2010, 05:27
That indexing tab is crutial. Make sure it's in it's slot. Then tighten the tube nut at top.

ron59
10-25-2010, 07:43
One last thing to check:

I ordered my 550B for 9mm. Yet, the LARGE Primer Tube was the one installed in the Primer Feed Housing, instead of the small one. Even though I ordered mine from Brian Enos' site, I think they come that way from Dillon. Anyway, when I first set it up, it actually worked okay for a few hundred rounds, THEN it started acting up. I guess one of the primers "went sideways" or something.

When I realized this and installed the Small Primer Tube... all problems disappeared.

fredj338
10-25-2010, 12:17
One last thing to check:

I ordered my 500B for 9mm. Yet, the LARGE Primer Tube was the one installed in the Primer Feed Housing, instead of the small one. When I first set it up, it actually worked okay for a few hundred rounds, THEN it started acting up. I guess one of the primers "went sideways" or something.

When I realized this and installed the Small Primer Tube... all problems disappeared.

Good point. There are two diff sized tubes, small & large, the other one is NOT an extra one. What Ron experienced has happened to many new 550B owners.

dudel
10-25-2010, 17:14
I had that happen the first time. The bottom of the primer tube has a key. You know you've got it right when the silver nut on the top of the primer tube can be screwed all the way down. Take the nut off and rotate the inner tube till it seats fully, Then screw the silver nut down all the way.

halfmoonclip
10-25-2010, 19:52
The plastic fitting at the bottom of the primer tube is not an artifact that I'll will to my grandchildren. They have a finite service life of letting primers slip thru', and after being flexed one time too many, they head west. I try to keep a spare on hand.
As the other posters have noted, the primer tube and its little plastic gidgy have to be correctly oriented.
Also, if you shine a small light back over the top of the primer shuttle, it is possible to see if it correctly adjusted by looking down thru the EMPTY primer tube. You'll be able to see if it is stopping too soon, too far, or just right.
Moon