Comparison of Tactical Shotguns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of Tactical Shotguns

Hedo1
10-25-2010, 11:56
I ran a stage at a competitive shooting event this past weekend. It was a Zombie themed shoot. My stage featured a shotgun stage then a transition to the pistol.

I had an opportunity to see a lot of different tactical shotguns in action by shooters of various skill levels. 175 shooters went through and about 15 staff members (other rso's)

Here are some observations I had:

1. Remington 870's in every configuration performed flawlessly. A number of
shooters failed to disengage the safety. The most common shotgun used.

2. Mossberg 500's in every configuration performed flawlessly. No malfunctions, and the top mounted safety didn't hang anybody up on the line.

3. Bennelli tactical shotguns did great, no failures and those who had them could really run them fast.

4. Remington 1100 tactical models had two failures to eject but did well otherwise.

5. Didn't see very many Mossberg 930's but those that shot them did well and I saw no jams or misfires.

6. Saiga's were up and down. A lot of failures to cycle, mostly due to low power ammunition. We required 7.5 shot or smaller on our stage. Many of the Saiga's failed to digest it well. Winchester "heavy 8" seemed to cycle the best. It's a heavier target load. When they were running they shot well and very fast.

7. I saw an old trench broom 12 ga. It worked as well as any other pump. The shooter also had a vintage 1911 so he really had a thing for the old school guns. He didn't miss a target by the way.

That covered most of the shotguns I saw and their performance. Overall we had a great time.

My RSO partner made a good comment. "It's not the arrow but the skill of the archer that determines who wins". We saw some well equipped shooters do poorly and some poorly equipped shooters do very well.

Big Time
10-25-2010, 12:24
Good write up! Thanks Hedo1:wavey:

bsg1
10-25-2010, 13:09
thanks for the write up.

Russ D
10-25-2010, 19:56
Was this the Contagion?

Hedo1
10-26-2010, 12:52
Was this the Contagion?

It was.

mixflip
10-26-2010, 15:32
Good write up and report. Shotguns probably have the highest learning curve when it comes to proficiency and getting good with all aspects of the system like reloads, malfunctions and running them support hand or with an injured arm. I like the arrow analogy. I always say this...just learn to run what ya brung. A $2000 gun wont make you a better shooter.

B Coyote
10-26-2010, 23:16
Did you get any photos of the stages? I love seeing how others set up their matches...it helps me with mine.

bc

Hedo1
10-27-2010, 05:52
I didn't take any personally but the organizers have them posted on the website, here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/myviewtoyou/sets/72157625236236006/

keninnavarre
10-27-2010, 06:15
I didn't take any personally but the organizers have them posted on the website, here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/myviewtoyou/sets/72157625236236006/

Looks like a lot of fun. I enjoy looking at these type of pics, I always find a new take on rigging slings, etc.

B Coyote
10-27-2010, 07:07
That match looks like a blast. Pun fully intended.

Like keninnavarre I like seeing how others have their equipment set up.

bc

Hedo1
10-27-2010, 07:20
I think they will add more pictures as the photographer goes through them so stay tuned they may add some more. It really was fun.

The stage I ran was a shotgun stage for 5 targets and then you transitioned to a pistol stage for 5 targets. To make the transition you needed to put your shotgun in a poly barrel muzzle down and empty. When you did so it activated two moving targets that dropped down next to a baby doll. You had to engage the two zombies with pistol w/o hitting the baby doll. Surprisingly nobody hit the doll all day.

A lot of folks had slings that made dumping the shotgun in the barrel very difficult. A quick disconnect between the shotgun and your harness is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. Might not have to dump an empty weapon in the real world but then again you might.

mdfd
10-28-2010, 19:44
....My RSO partner made a good comment. "It's not the arrow but the skill of the archer that determines who wins". We saw some well equipped shooters do poorly and some poorly equipped shooters do very well.

Amen to that!:cool:

Critias
10-28-2010, 19:53
Neat pics, and thanks for the pseudo-range-report about how the different shotguns performed. Looks like everyone had a great time!