10ga for HD? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10ga for HD?

themiller
10-25-2010, 17:09
Okay -

1) I'm not crazy
2) I love big and/or unique guns
3) For many years, I really wanted a DE .50, but it seems like everyone has one. Now I'm thinking - hmmm...
4) A M82 is outta my price range
5) 10 ga?

Seems like they can be picked up pretty cheap and ammo is available. Would I be nuts for dedicating one to HD duty? I can't shoot clays with one at any of the clubs around here, and I currently don't have a HD shotgun (my G29 currently serves the purpose as HD). I was thinking maybe a http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=011B&cat_id=012&type_id=212 and having the barrel cut to an inch over the legal limit?

10 GA slug - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65639-5.html
12 GA slug - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65641-5.html
10 GA 00 - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65871-5.html

I'm trying to justify adding another toy to the collection. And I realize it will probably have $0 value to anyone after I cut it down. I don't hunt. Am I just being completely silly for wanting a 10 GA for this job when everyone else uses a 12 GA?

EDIT: wanted to add, I have no recoil problem with break-action 12 GA, slugs, prone or otherwise. And I don't doubt that a 12/20GA would work fine for this task either, I'm simply asking for peoples opinions.

Jon_R
10-25-2010, 17:17
Okay -
I'm trying to justify adding another toy to the collection. And I realize it will probably have $0 value to anyone after I cut it down. I don't hunt. Am I just being completely silly for wanting a 10 GA for this job when everyone else uses a 12 GA?

It is a great idea. You would be foolish not to do this.

When I reach a point I am wanting someone to justify my next gun purchase I expect your support. :whistling: It is only fair. :cool:

Critias
10-25-2010, 17:19
It might not be completely silly, but you should ask yourself why everyone else is using a 12 gauge instead of a 10 -- especially a lighter 10, which will be even harder to handle.

ScrappyDoo
10-25-2010, 18:58
I'm just curious but do you plan on being invaded? I mean, who are you trying to blast with that cannon?

Aceman
10-25-2010, 19:18
10g makes a certain statement. Would it be my choice for indoor sports? No - same reason I don't use magnum 12g: Back on target faster.

I will say, if you got another barrel and chopped it, it would be nice to swap out, and there is certainly nothing that it couldn't take down, with buck or slug, indoor or out, North America or Africa....

If big is what you dig, go for it. Just remember, there are going to be things it just isn't suited for...

K.Kiser
10-25-2010, 19:20
Hey, if You just want one then that #2 on the list of reasons to buy... Heck yeah it'll work, not any better at in-home distances than the other scatterguns, but nevertheless it will do the job... My Brother and I went through 5 boxes of hi-brass 10 gauge shells through a single shot 10 w/o a recoil pad, it was all we had available at the time to skeet shoot... Our right shoulders hurt so bad that on the way home he drove the truck but couldn't shift with his right arm, so I shifted from the passenger side with My still functioning left arm... Pretty funny stuff..

Jon_R
10-25-2010, 19:21
I hope you can get a pistol grip only handle for it. :)

I will say, if you got another barrel and chopped it, it would be nice to swap out, and there is certainly nothing that it couldn't take down, with buck or slug, indoor or out, North America or Africa....

If big is what you dig, go for it. Just remember, there are going to be things it just isn't suited for...

MrMurphy
10-25-2010, 22:39
Do you dislike your eardrums and your neighbors that much?

Spiffums
10-26-2010, 07:08
Watch Appaloosa and get an 8 gauge :D

TACC GLOCK
10-26-2010, 07:24
themiller, I will support you in this new purchase decision, if for no other reason than you will use less ammo to kill more zombies.

themiller
10-26-2010, 08:25
Well since I haven't really heard anything negative - it's a go. I'll be sure to post up pics. It'll probably be a month or two until I can find one to cut (I have a heart, I don't want to take a nice looking gun and chop it up).

I found some 2 1/4 oz slugs, hmmm those ought to be fun.

It might not be completely silly, but you should ask yourself why everyone else is using a 12 gauge instead of a 10 -- especially a lighter 10, which will be even harder to handle.

Meh, I'm pretty handy with my 10mm when everyone else likes .40.

I'm just curious but do you plan on being invaded? I mean, who are you trying to blast with that cannon?

No. I don't think I'll ever have the misfortune of having to blast someone, but, I will be prepared for it.

I hope you can get a pistol grip only handle for it.

Nope, I've been there, done that with 12 GA - no desire.

Do you dislike your eardrums and your neighbors that much?

My wife snores, earplugs already in - (just kidding) good thought, I'm curious now what the difference is... time to do some research.

themiller, I will support you in this new purchase decision, if for no other reason than you will use less ammo to kill more zombies.

Thanks!