Reloading Noob [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Noob

ashecht
10-25-2010, 17:12
I have been reading all the posts here regarding newbies to reloading, but I am still very confused as to which equipment I would need to buy, and the best places to buy them. I apologize for not knowing more about the reloading process, but it appears to be a sound investment if you shoot every weekend like I do! Again, I have read all the posts here, but its still very confusing to me as to which press I should get, and all the other stuff, dies, powder, bullets etc. I plan on only reloading pistol rounds, 9mm and .40 cal specifically. I know opinions will vary greatly due to brand loyalty, but would someone be willing to out on a limb and give me a list of what I would need and perhaps some ideas on where to find them so I can determine what my outlay would be? Also, is there such a thing as a class which would teach me how to do it, so I felt safe when I did it on my own? Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Boxerglocker
10-25-2010, 17:15
How many rounds? How much time? Do you have a budget and how much is it? You could start for as little as $100 or got all out at $1000. Do some searches lots of reloading start-up threads lately...

The thread you started here, I mentioned the LCT as an option

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275728&highlight=LCT

Do you want to spend more or less... will the LCT meet your want/needs?

Firstly though, if you haven't aquired and read a copy of the "ABC's of Reloading" you need to, it will answer 90% of the question you initialy will have about getting started.

Calico9
10-25-2010, 17:20
You can learn alot about various reloading products by browsing through the MidwayUSA website. Most of the tools and components they sell will have customer reviews posted. You can get a good idea which products of each type are the most popular and perhaps which ones are most appropriate for you.

dudel
10-25-2010, 17:25
ABC's of Reloading will give you the list of what you need, without the discussions about the color of the equipment. It's a great resource for the person interested in getting into reloading.

ashecht
10-25-2010, 17:44
your review of the LCT is in fact the one that my caught my eye. I could dedicate a few hours a week plus some time on the weekends, to reloading, and would just like to be able to crank out perhaps 200-300 9mm/week, and maybe 200 .40 a week. Even if I was only producing 100/hour that would be fine. From what I could tell from your post regarding the LCT, and looking at the site you suggested, I would need:

lct press 180
pro powder measure 22
4 die set 40
dial caliper 25
tumbler 60
scale 30

total of about $400 plus shipping, plus powder, primers, bullets, of which I have no idea of cost. Am I right? Sorry for all the ?

shotgunred
10-25-2010, 17:58
If you are going to knock out 500 rounds a week and take 5 hours to do it you might want to step up to the LNL AP. Then when you are ready you can add a bullet feeder.

20 hours a month of pulling on a handle is going to get old quick.

Boxerglocker
10-25-2010, 18:03
If you are going to knock out 500 rounds a week and take 5 hours to do it you might want to step up to the LNL AP. Then when you are ready you can add a bullet feeder.

I'd go 550B myself.... provided you stay at those requirements.

For the LCT go to Kempf's gunshop for thier LCT package deal with both upgrades and one caliber it's about $225 delivered. By far the best deal around.

Here are some very rough numbers:
LCT from Kempf's one caliber and both upgrades $225
Harbor Freight dial calipers $12-15
Dillon or RCBS beam scale $60
Midway/Cabelas ecomomy tumbler/media kit $65-75
Additional dies and turret wheel for an extra caliber $55-60
Manual of choice $30

fredj338
10-25-2010, 18:19
ABC's of Reloading will give you the list of what you need, without the discussions about the color of the equipment. It's a great resource for the person interested in getting into reloading.

This is how everyone should start. Read it, read it again, then you'll have an understanding about the process & what you'll need to buy. It always comes down to time vs $$. The higher volumn, the more it will cost. The LCT is a useful setup. I would cdrtainly upgrade the scale & powder measure. An adjustable measure is a must IMO, with some uberfast pistol powders, even 0.2gr can be a big diff in pressures.

RustyFN
10-25-2010, 18:23
your review of the LCT is in fact the one that my caught my eye. I could dedicate a few hours a week plus some time on the weekends, to reloading, and would just like to be able to crank out perhaps 200-300 9mm/week, and maybe 200 .40 a week. Even if I was only producing 100/hour that would be fine. From what I could tell from your post regarding the LCT, and looking at the site you suggested, I would need:

lct press 180
pro powder measure 22
4 die set 40
dial caliper 25
tumbler 60
scale 30

total of about $400 plus shipping, plus powder, primers, bullets, of which I have no idea of cost. Am I right? Sorry for all the ?

I can load 500 rounds in three hours taking my time. It's a great press for lower volumes and a few calibers. I think you are off on your price. Check out the Lee classic turret kit here, https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=26&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41. With the pro auto disk and safety prime upgrades you are around $200. Add a scale, caliper and tumbler if you want to clean cases the easy way and you are set. Should be able to get all that for under $300.

wrx04
10-25-2010, 18:38
I'm a newb too, just started loading my first rounds last week, and i decided to buy the complete package from brianenos.com. The package has everything you need all with a single click of a button. It does get a little on the pricey side (~$1080), but loading efficiency was more important to me as i didnt want to spend all day to make 100 rounds. I got the dillon 550b, and its pretty simple to operate once you figure out how it works.

I read the "ABC's of Reloading" and Lymans manual before i even got the press...they are good to give you an overview and especially the things that can make reloading dangerous, but they are a little longwinded with some garbage that you have to sift through IMO. About 25% of the book is essential reading for a newbie, and the other 75% is junk. Personally, I learn much better by hands on/trial and error methods.

I'm still a TOTAL rookie, as you can see from some of the threads i started, but i would buy the same thing again. I might get a beam scale instead of the digital one though.

ashecht
10-25-2010, 18:53
I am liking the cost of the LCT press from Kempf, plus the other items folks have listed. How about projectiles, primers, and powder? Can you order that stuff online, or where do you get it at a reasonable price? I see that Kempf doesnt sell that stuff online.

IndyGunFreak
10-25-2010, 19:07

I agree w/ Rusty...

20hrs? I can do 500rds on an LCT, in about 3hrs tops, and that's a fairly relaxed pace... Caliber changes take about 45-60sec, about 2min if you have to change primer size(which from the sounds of it, he won't), not to mention only run about $50 bucks(tool head and Lee dies)...

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
10-25-2010, 19:09
LCT from Kempfs. Add all the upgrades.

From Midway

- Extra 4 hole turret.
- Extra Dies for the other caliber

Harbour Frieght Dial Calipers/Or Dillon

Dillon Scale

Dillon Case Gauges for both calibers. They are cheap.

Order you powder and Primers from Powder Valley Maybe start with Power Pistol if you shoot outside of WSF. Don't worry about primer brand too much. Just get 10K Small Pistol.

I think thats it.

Boxerglocker
10-25-2010, 19:09
Buy your powder 1# at a time locally for now, WST/WSF is a good powder to start for both 9mm and .40, Same with the primers Small pistol is what you will need for both just get 1000 to start.
Bullets you could get a 1000 of each from Precision Delta to get started, I would go with 115g FMJ in the 9mm and 180g FMJ in the .40, that will forfill there 2K minimum order requirements.

GioaJack
10-25-2010, 19:13
I'm being a good boy... I'm being a good boy... I can't type, the dog is sleeping on my oxygen hose.

Good luck newb, take your time, don't try to do it all at once, it's a life long addiction. I'm told that there are even some old guys that do it. (Personally I find that rather hard to believe.)

Jack

IndyGunFreak
10-25-2010, 19:14
I am liking the cost of the LCT press from Kempf, plus the other items folks have listed. How about projectiles, primers, and powder? Can you order that stuff online, or where do you get it at a reasonable price? I see that Kempf doesnt sell that stuff online.

Usually online is your best bet... Just keep in mind, on Powder and Primers online, you're going to get hit w/ a $25 Hazmat charge. Go through the "Vendors" thread that is stickied in this forum...

I've found a place locally that sells a wide variety of powders for pretty good prices, but his primer prices are high.. so I buy powder locally, and then order primers in 10-15k lots.... This is enough for me to offset shipping/hazmat, and avoiding local sales tax. If you're only going to order 1-2k primers.. you're better off finding a local place.

Bullets, there's a lot of choices, but I think you'd find a lot of folks here like Precision Delta, Montana Gold, and Berrys'...

I think the suggestion you pick up the ABC's of Reloading, and give it a read, is a good one... It will help you a lot understanding components, etc..

Hope that helps..

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
10-25-2010, 19:17
Buy you Powder and Primers at the same time from Powder Valley. One hazemat. Saves money. Power Pistol is the same powder that Nato ammo uses so it will work just fine especially outside. Inside it has a good flash. WSF would be a better option.

ron59
10-25-2010, 20:02
For bullets... Montana Gold and Precision Delta are your best bets. If you're only going to buy 1000, PD has the best prices. But if you can spring for a case (roughly 3000), MG gives a huge discount and comes out ahead.

To REALLY save money, you have to buy the primers/powder in bulk, online. They charge a Hazmat shipping fee, that will drive the prices up. I *only* buy primers in quantity of 10,000 at a time, powder in 8lb jugs. However, I buy a 1lb jug locally first to make sure I like it. Or, you could get 10,000 primers and a couple different 1lb jugs online (they will combine the hazmat fee if the order is combined).

So getting off the ground, you can dump quite a bit of money into your startup costs for components. Another option is to pay for your press setup and buy components locally (pay a little more) but just enough to get you buy for a month or two, before going on and buying your components in bulk.

For a press... Can't say enough about the Dillon 550B. If that's a little higher than you think, maybe the Hornady LNL. If you're enjoying shooting now, the ability to make LOTS of ammo quickly (combined with the money you're saving) will just want to make you shoot more. But if you've bought a slower press... it will be tough to keep up. If you were to buy either of these presses.... I can guarantee you'd see 80% of your outlay returned if you decided you didn't like it and wanted to sell it.

Here's a great series of videos about loading on a 550B. Note, that MUCH of this info would apply to ANY press you might buy. He discusses other equipment you might need such as scales and calibers. He discusses how to use a reloading manual. He also shows what each stage of a press accomplishes (resizing, priming, belling and powder drop, seating, crimping, etc).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrb...eature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4&feature=related)
There are 5 videos, at 10 minutes each for 50 minutes total. Great series, Dillon could almost use it as marketing material. It is literally what made me say "I can do this, and I want a 550B".

Don't cheap out on the press... having a quality machine is going to make your work quicker/easier and trouble free. Whatever you decide... welcome to the club !!!

IndyGunFreak
10-25-2010, 20:09
The 550 is a fine press no doubt.. but the OP didn't really give any insight into his budget, etc.... A 550 is great, but not if he has a 250-300 budget.

I'm being a good boy... I'm being a good boy... I can't type, the dog is sleeping on my oxygen hose.
Jack

Put some A-1 sauce on our oxygen tube and watch what he does.. ;)

IGF

EL_NinO619
10-25-2010, 21:16
Welcome you are starting off right by being here. There is a lot of useful information to be had. Get the ABC's book and take your time to figure out what you will need. Good luck.

albyihat
10-25-2010, 22:36
Buy what fits your budget when it comes to a press, they all make bullets that go bang. DO NOT skimp on calipers or scale, make sure to get a check weight for your scale as well and do not buy digital unless it is to be used with a beam scale. You never know when digital will go haywire. Also don't buy 8lbs of powder until you know that you like it, start with a pound and play with that. For 9mm and .40 you should get 1200-1500 rds per pound of powder depending on charge weight.

RustyFN
10-26-2010, 17:14

Not sure if you can buy on-line but you can call and order and they will mail it too you.

LASTRESORT20
10-26-2010, 17:24
Start of small and slow... Press and appropriate caliber Dies....
Step 1 - Decapping & case sizing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwbeHvJIkfM

Step 2 - Priming cases with hand primer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9h9Xl8Jheo

Step 3 - Powder charging and case mouth flaring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wq3zaUXhY

Step 4 - Bullet seating and cartridge measurement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T784EciLuXQ

http://www.reloadammo.com/rel-powd.htm Reloading Powders info

Just some simple info...hope it helps...Midway USA I get my stuff from

IndyGunFreak
10-26-2010, 22:40
Start of small and slow... Press and appropriate caliber Dies....
Step 1 - Decapping & case sizing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwbeHvJIkfM

Step 2 - Priming cases with hand primer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9h9Xl8Jheo

Step 3 - Powder charging and case mouth flaring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wq3zaUXhY

Step 4 - Bullet seating and cartridge measurement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T784EciLuXQ

http://www.reloadammo.com/rel-powd.htm Reloading Powders info

Just some simple info...hope it helps...Midway USA I get my stuff from

The amount he's said he shoots per week, a single stage is not even remotely practical. I know they are nice to learn on, but you also have to be practical. Due to the amount of time he'd spend at the bench, reloading would become a chore, and he'd likely not enjoy it. Reloading Pistol on a single stage, also gets old very quickly, unless you're loading small amounts. Rifle, is likely another story, but as I've mentioned here before, I don't load rifle.

If he really wants to start single stage, he can get the LCT, and remove the index rod, and use it as a single stage. When he gets the hang of it, put the Index rod back on(takes 5 seconds) and he's back to having an auto-indexing Turret.

RustyFN
10-27-2010, 15:46
The amount he's said he shoots per week, a single stage is not even remotely practical. I know they are nice to learn on, but you also have to be practical. Due to the amount of time he'd spend at the bench, reloading would become a chore, and he'd likely not enjoy it. Reloading Pistol on a single stage, also gets old very quickly, unless you're loading small amounts. Rifle, is likely another story, but as I've mentioned here before, I don't load rifle.

If he really wants to start single stage, he can get the LCT, and remove the index rod, and use it as a single stage. When he gets the hang of it, put the Index rod back on(takes 5 seconds) and he's back to having an auto-indexing Turret.

And that's why it's the best bang for your buck if you don't need to loads thousands of rounds per month. Also very fast to change calibers. Easy to set up and easy for a noob to use.

Colorado4Wheel
10-27-2010, 16:03
Easy to set up and easy for a noob to use.

I agree. Possibly the easiest, safest press to learn on in some ways.

stewiegriffin
10-27-2010, 21:44

+1 on this. I found it at my local library when I started reloading. Read. Read more, read again.