Hornady TAP .223 questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady TAP .223 questions

pinkertonTJ
10-25-2010, 18:16
Hello I finally finished building my AR and I'm looking for good personal defense ammo. I've been looking at the Hornady TAP .223. But has any one had any personal experience with these as far as groups & feeding? All help is appreciated.

Also do they still make these in the black casings or only avail. In the silver casings? Cool factor I guess.

SIGShooter
10-26-2010, 16:51
Colt LE 6920, 16" Barrel, 1:7 Twist

10 Rounds (You'll have to excuse me, I cannot find my record book)

All rounds are an average until I can find my book...

2450 FPS

MK12 MOD1, 18" Barrel, 1:7 Twist

10 Rounds

2550 FPS

Way under what has been stated by Hornady for this particular ammunition. The stated velocity has been 2600+ FPS for the same rifle listed. What I find interesting is that Hornady's new LE catalog has the "Test" barrel at 24".

Anyway, it is extremely accurate and feeds relatively well. From my MK12 I have been getting groups of about .5-.98 inches at a hundred yards. I'm not that good behind a scope anymore but I think that is really good considering I've had high winds and crappy weather most everytime I've shot.

In regards to the FPD stuff (The nickle plated ammunition)...It's Hornady TAP. I believe it is rated at a higher velocity but not by that much.

My personal opinion...Depending on what you want the rifle for...You can't go wrong with MK262 MOD1 or Black Hills 77 Gr. OTM loading. Now if you have different requirements...Follow this link...

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

AND

http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Hope this helps...If not, just read some more. It'll clear up like a glass of mud for ya!

Again, personal preferance...

MK262 MOD1 Because I don't plan on engaging vehicles or shooting through walls.

Black Hills 77 Gr. OTM Because it averages out to 2550 FPS from both my rifles and is as accurate as the MK262 and I have the same requirements for it as the other ammunition listed.

PPU M855 Because when the S does HTF...I like FMJ.

Hornady TAP 75 Gr. OTM Because I purchased over 1K dollars of it on the idea that it will do what Hornady has stated. Velocity isn't there but it's what I've got loaded in my mags.

pinkertonTJ
10-26-2010, 19:54
This info is VERY VERY helpful to me. I am also interested in why they listed the test barrel at 24". But .5-.98 inches at a 100 yards is what im looking for even if the velocity isnt there. And like you said the Black Hills 77 Gr. OTM is a really good round too ive read, and ive had this in a few of my mini-14 mags. But I have the urge to try this stuff for once for if it ever does HTF. and i think after reading your reply im going to go ahead and order me some. not $1k worth though yet, maybe $200 to start me off. Thanks again!!!

Gunnut 45/454
10-26-2010, 22:03
pinkertonTJ
If your rifle is a .223 Rem chambered stay away from 5.56mm! The Rem load will be lower in pressure so you'll not get top FPS unless your use a 20" barrel! Tap ammo is expensive! For basic SD get some 55 gr SP or HP ammo Remigtons come to mind! I'll bet money that a 55 gr SP/HP will do just as well as TAP! IE stop any threat you need to stop!:supergrin:

pinkertonTJ
10-30-2010, 06:57
Gunnut 45/454
Im glad to informed me that. Im going to stick with 55 gr. or 60 gr. either way i went. Its actually for a SBR 10.5" 1:7 twist. so yea i will def. stick with the 55's.

Thats what im looking for anyway, to stop anything as you mentioned.

PghJim
10-31-2010, 22:51
The most accuate I have found without reloading is the 60 BT TAP in the red box for LE. They are not nickle plated, but they are cheaper. You can generally find them on Ammo to Go. This seems to work with twists 1 in 7-9". It is considered an urban load, and probably not be much good through a hard barrier. However, there is a lot of loads out there, depending on the use you have in mind.

Why 10.5" barrel? Besides firearm classification, you will lose velocity.

SIGShooter
11-01-2010, 19:28
I found my thread that has the exact numbers for you.

Hope this helps.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214010

WoodenPlank
11-01-2010, 19:38
Gunnut 45/454
Im glad to informed me that. Im going to stick with 55 gr. or 60 gr. either way i went. Its actually for a SBR 10.5" 1:7 twist. so yea i will def. stick with the 55's.

Thats what im looking for anyway, to stop anything as you mentioned.

In that short of a barrel, I would absolutely be loading 77grn ammo. The short barrel is going to cost you a lot of velocity, something that is critical in 55gr ammo to ensure it fragments on impact. The 77 grain stuff will fragment reliably at lower velocities. I am waiting on paperwork from the ATF to finish my 12.5" gun, and it will be fed 77grain for anything other than fun plinking at the range.

Anglowulf
11-01-2010, 21:59
I used the 55 grain TAP ammo.
3/4" at 100 from 16" barrel
Completely blew apart 30lb racoon. I would like to try on yotes.
Went in a 75lb pig in the shoulder, exited vertical after hitting bone, nasty wound but did not stop the pig.
Seems perfect for its intended purpose, people. The bullets get explosive from what I can see. Never shot the heavier TAPs.

SIGShooter
11-02-2010, 19:33
I used the 55 grain TAP ammo.
3/4" at 100 from 16" barrel
Completely blew apart 30lb racoon. I would like to try on yotes.
Went in a 75lb pig in the shoulder, exited vertical after hitting bone, nasty wound but did not stop the pig.
Seems perfect for its intended purpose, people. The bullets get explosive from what I can see. Never shot the heavier TAPs.

Short barrels suck velocity out of the ammunition.

A good round would be a heavier round out of a shorter barrel. At least that's what I've been told once or twice.

The 77 Gr. or even the 75 Gr. ammunition would be premo in the SB rifle.

FatBoy
11-07-2010, 07:23
Here is some reading for ya....
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

FB

pinkertonTJ
11-07-2010, 20:18
Thanks guys SOO much for your help. Ive learned alot by your post and links. Especially SIGShooter, for the very in depth reviews. Thanks!!